Buy 2017 e-Golf now or buy it after 2018 model comes out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
Well, I tried to strike a deal on a 2017 SE + QC last night, to take advantage of the last day of the 0% APR. But despite having several eGolfs in stock, including the one I was thinking of getting with a build date of September 2017, the dealer absolutely would not budge more than about $3k on the price.
Friday night I asked my local dealership if they would match a bay area deal (Sunnyvale or Stevens). NO JOY.
They said they need it in writing and I replied "it's on their website".

We should get a one way Southwest to San Jose and drive it home...

lkx said:
It's really odd, I keep hearing that happening in SoCal. In the Bay Area I got $7,700 off MSRP and a few dealerships were ok giving that discount.
Copy that...and when I shared that (your) info with south OC dealership he was reminding me about all the back end products that they get you with. I know that your deal had no additional items. He flat out said they can't match that.

You made out well.

I've have some dealers in the Bay Area say the same thing but I talked to other 3 dealerships, one said verbally he would match but I can't tell for sure if that would have been true. Both of the others sent me a screen copy of their software where they enter the deal details because I told them I'd walk away if the numbers wouldn't be what we agreed on.

And yes as you said, no surprise, no back end products. They just tried the maintenance package but that's it (and I didn't get it). Yeah you should really fly out here and drive back down.

Bay area dealers were giving me 8k off non-DAP models. Said the DAP models were too limited in quantity....

DNAPoPo said:
Bay area dealers were giving me 8k off non-DAP models. Said the DAP models were too limited in quantity....

Would you mind please providing some further clarification:
- Does this discount also apply to SEL Premium?
- Is this for both lease and purchase?
- VW credit continue to offer $4k off and 0% APR if you finance (i.e. don't lease) any e-Golf. Did they build that discount into the $8k discount they quoted you or is that separate i.e. if you finance through VW credit would you end up with a total of $12k off?

MickM said:
VW credit continue to offer $4k off and 0% APR if you finance (i.e. don't lease) any e-Golf. Did they build that discount into the $8k discount they quoted you or is that separate i.e. if you finance through VW credit would you end up with a total of $12k off?

Looking at VW's website, the offer for the eGolf mentions 0% APR through 4/30/2018 (originally expired on 4/2) but nothing about $4k off with that.

EDIT: That offer is for Californians. Other regions may get better/worse deals.

BTW the supply dwindled a bit since I attempted to buy a 2017 last week. The Atlantic Blue one I was seeking has since been sold, and that dealer's inventory has gone from 5 SE ( all with QC) to just 1 (Deep Black). Besides that, they only have 2 other eGolfs in stock, both SEL's.

In the LA area, the dealer with the best supply at the moment is Downtown LA, but most of theirs are SE's without QC. They only have 1 SEC +QC (also in Deep Black) and 1 SEL (Pure White) if you need/want QC.

MickM said:
DNAPoPo said:

Would you mind please providing some further clarification:
- Does this discount also apply to SEL Premium?
- Is this for both lease and purchase?
- VW credit continue to offer $4k off and 0% APR if you finance (i.e. don't lease) any e-Golf. Did they build that discount into the $8k discount they quoted you or is that separate i.e. if you finance through VW credit would you end up with a total of $12k off?

The discount applied to SEL Premium for both lease or purchase, but lease did not make sense since its a 40% residual...

e33d8142fb1931116cc2109961822de6x.jpg

Got an SEL from Sunnyvale VW for $8,500 discount last week.
Branko was my salesman, not sure how many are left in stock.

Edit... Don't go there, ended up being a horrible experience!

ms4cd said:
Got an SEL from Sunnyvale VW for $8,500 discount last week.
Branko was my salesman, not sure how many are left in stock.

That is a sweet deal!

I'm in contact with a VW dealer offering a similar discount, but they say that $1500 of that discount includes 3 separate $500 discounts for military people, VW partners, and graduating students. Neither of those apply to me so the big discount was reduced by $1500. Was that also the case for the above deal?

If VW has more 2017 e-Golfs in inventory, they are holding them back, or waiting for Trump to do something about what, Carbon Credits, before they sell any more?

I ended up buying a 2017 e-Golf SEL Premium from Sonnen VW in San Rafael, CA with an $8,000 discount and 0% financing. It seems like a well run and professional dealership. They are out of e-Golfs but the internet sales person said he heard the 2018s are coming in a month or so.

slk23 said:
I ended up buying a 2017 e-Golf SEL Premium from Sonnen VW in San Rafael, CA with an $8,000 discount and 0% financing. It seems like a well run and professional dealership. They are out of e-Golfs but the internet sales person said he heard the 2018s are coming in a month or so.
The 2018's had better come in July. There are only 16 cars showing at Cars.com today, June 4th 2018. 7 of them are at Stevens Creek VW in San Jose, CA and 4 are on the east coast.

Maybe there won't be a 2018 e-Golf. Right now, the e-Golf is a compliance car (albeit a really good one, in my opinion) and it's possible that VW sold enough to get the ZEV credits they need for the next year or two.

f1geek said:
Maybe there won't be a 2018 e-Golf. Right now, the e-Golf is a compliance car (albeit a really good one, in my opinion) and it's possible that VW sold enough to get the ZEV credits they need for the next year or two.

That's a good point that I never realized before. VW may be one of the world's biggest automakers (always competing with GM and Toyota for the #1 spot), but in the US its sales are relatively small, only about 340k cars (and just 3500 of them as eGolfs) in all of 2017. To put that in perspective, Nissan sold almost as many Altimas in 2015, and that's just one of several models.

So VW doesn't need to sell as many ZEVs as GM and Toyota and Nissan.

RonDawg said:
f1geek said:

That's a good point that I never realized before. VW may be one of the world's biggest automakers (always competing with GM and Toyota for the #1 spot), but in the US its sales are relatively small, only about 340k cars (and just 3500 of them as eGolfs) in all of 2017. To put that in perspective, Nissan sold almost as many Altimas in 2015, and that's just one of several models.

I am not sure of the details, but the e-Golf may be carrying the burden of collecting ZEV credits for the combined volume of the entire VW Group - VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, etc. The new Atlas and Tiguan are doing pretty well, so VW really needs to plan ahead for the credits they will need. The slope of how many credits they need per ICE is getting steeper as the 2020's approach. Also, I'm pretty sure that people have received confirmation from dealers that there is US port inventory of 2018 e-Golfs.

miimura said:
RonDawg said:
f1geek said:

I am not sure of the details, but the e-Golf may be carrying the burden of collecting ZEV credits for the combined volume of the entire VW Group - VW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, etc. The new Atlas and Tiguan are doing pretty well, so VW really needs to plan ahead for the credits they will need. The slope of how many credits they need per ICE is getting steeper as the 2020's approach. Also, I'm pretty sure that people have received confirmation from dealers that there is US port inventory of 2018 e-Golfs.

I'd consider getting a 2017 SEL in White with tan interior, but I really received such a good price on my 2015, that I'm having a hard time justifying the big price increase from my 2015 to move up to a 2017. The larger battery, for me, is more a want, than a need. If the 2017 had a more plush suspension system vs that of the 2015, which is quite sporty, I'd also consider the updated version. The roads here where I live, some of them have tiny pot holes, or it's rather rough driving over railroad tracks. But it does drive like a slot car in the canyons on the way to the beach at Malibu, gotta give it good credit for that.

I'd think, for me, $10k off of a 2017 SEL would probably get me into buying a new 2017 SEL... that's my current threshold for a new e-Golf.

JoulesThief said:
I'd consider getting a 2017 SEL in White with tan interior, but I really received such a good price on my 2015, that I'm having a hard time justifying the big price increase from my 2015 to move up to a 2017. The larger battery, for me, is more a want, than a need.

That was the basis for my deciding to buy out the lease of my 2015. The residual was so low, and the car has so few miles, it that it didn't make financial sense really to get a 2017 unless they were dirt cheap, and they weren't. I couldn't get more than a few grand off MSRP if I were to buy, and leasing was going to cost MORE per month with MORE down than with my 2015.

125 mile range is nice, larger infotainment screen is nice, having Apple CarPlay is nice, being able to adjust and turn on charge timers from the infotainment screen is nice, but in the end not nice enough to override the added costs of a new one. Fortunately the range of my 2015 is well within my needs, and I have an ICEV as a secondary car for those times it's not enough. I know that for many people that's not the case and I can see why they would want to unload theirs at end of lease for something else.

No more $8K off the MSRP? I got a similar deal and I felt it was worth it to pay $6K more (got a combined $15K off the MSRP with VW discount and the federal $7.5K tax credit) than the residual on my 2015 to have a car with a battery I can pamper so I'll get 10 to 15 years of usable life out of it. I used to have to charge to near 100% routinely, but now I only charge to 80% SOC (and 70% SOC when the temps are 95F or above) to reduce degradation. Being able to very easily set the charge timer from the car is a big advantage, in my opinion, because once the 3 year car-net plan runs out, I can still have tight control on battery SOC (with no additional charge). If you have an EVSE that enables you do accomplish the same, then that's great, but my Clipper Creek HCS-40P is a "dumb" but reliable unit.

miimura said:
slk23 said:
The 2018's had better come in July. There are only 16 cars showing at Cars.com today, June 4th 2018. 7 of them are at Stevens Creek VW in San Jose, CA and 4 are on the east coast.
Nationwide inventory on June 8th on Cars.com is now 7 units. The 7 at Stevens Creek have disappeared. 3 left in CA, 2 in OR, and two in MD.

Back