Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Driving Range
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:41 pm
Posts: 1
Charging Miles, as the weather warms up my 2018 E-Golf is showing more than 186 miles range (189 and 195 respectively) in Eco and Eco Plus when fully charged at home. Is this something that I should expect or is it an abnormality? I have not taken it out for an endurance drive to find out if it will deliver the distance. Could someone out there please enlighten me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Driving Range
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:18 pm
Posts: 335
Right. You are looking at the GOM (Guess-O-Meter). The GOM predicts your driving range based on the car's current driving settings and how you recently drove the car. For example, if you drove the car yesterday on the highway for 100 miles at 60 mph, then fully charged the car overnight and then looked at the GOM this morning, it will read much lower than if you drove 100 miles yesterday at 25 mph. It might be able to deliver 180+ miles if you are driving VERY efficiently and fully drain the battery (though you should probably not fully drain the battery on a daily basis, for pack longevity).

FYI, I charge my car only to 80%, drive in Eco mode most of the time with the HVAC off, with a mix of highway and local driving, and the GOM says 145 miles. 145/0.8=181 miles at full charge, so my car is similar to yours. And I have a spare tire tire and jack kit in the trunk, too.

Have fun!

_________________
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Driving Range
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 pm
Posts: 62
I have noticed that the battery gauge is a much better indicator. I seem to average 10 miles per division. Just drove 100 miles since my last full charge and I have six left to go. So in theory I have 160 total range. I hope never need to visit the red zone of electron fumes.

I used to watch the GOM but if your driving pattern is consistent you'll soon get a feel for what you can get out of the battery.

_________________
2017 e-Golf SE US Ver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Driving Range
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:12 am
Posts: 44
Location: Sunnyvale, CA (NoCa)
Is is good for battery to drain it till 0 miles or somewhere in the low red zone ones in month or similar ?
Or the best is always keep in in 20-80% range?

_________________
VW eGolf 2017 SE
VW Jetta 2012 SE
VW Jetta 2005
VW Passat 2002 GLS
VW Caddy 2006
VW Golf 1995


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Driving Range
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:13 pm
Posts: 1181
Location: Los Altos, CA
YeGolf wrote:
Is is good for battery to drain it till 0 miles or somewhere in the low red zone ones in month or similar ?
Or the best is always keep in in 20-80% range?

The battery will last longest if you keep it in the 20%-80% range. However, charging to what VW calls 100%, then driving it soon after will not cause significant damage. However, you don't want to charge it to 100%, then leave it in 100F+ temps for an extended period. I always used the charge timers to charge our 2015 so it filled to 100% less than an hour before leaving for work. Our other EVs have enough range that I only charge above 80% before leaving for a longer trip.

_________________
2015 e-Golf LE (returned) | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 2012 RAV4 EV Shoreline w/JdeMO | Leviton EVB40 & Jesla Home Charging | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV + 2x Powerwall 2 AC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Driving Range
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2074
miimura wrote:
YeGolf wrote:
Is is good for battery to drain it till 0 miles or somewhere in the low red zone ones in month or similar ?
Or the best is always keep in in 20-80% range?

The battery will last longest if you keep it in the 20%-80% range. However, charging to what VW calls 100%, then driving it soon after will not cause significant damage. However, you don't want to charge it to 100%, then leave it in 100F+ temps for an extended period. I always used the charge timers to charge our 2015 so it filled to 100% less than an hour before leaving for work. Our other EVs have enough range that I only charge above 80% before leaving for a longer trip.


/\ This... very important, don't store it with a full charge for any length of time. If you fully recharge it, at least take 8 to 12 miles off the full charge within an hour or two.

I like to set mine to finish charge by 10:30 AM and be on the road between 10:30 and 11, on mornings I need to recharge before driving. I try to keep at least 15 to 25% in the battery before recharging. I will. every 6 to 9 weeks, really floor it from a speed of about 30 mph on up to 50-55 mph, to do a brief freeway run, to attempt to discharge the battery quickly, since I baby the battery almost all the rest of the time, Just in case any discharge resistance has built up in the cells.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Driving Range
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 pm
Posts: 62
About a month ago saw this as I pulled into work to get some free electrons. Thought it was pretty impressive, a range of 125 miles with a quarter charge to go. Really liking the e-Golf.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/34Zn6byY5dzqx6Fp7

Image

_________________
2017 e-Golf SE US Ver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Driving Range
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2074
SocaleGolf wrote:
About a month ago saw this as I pulled into work to get some free electrons. Thought it was pretty impressive, a range of 125 miles with a quarter charge to go. Really liking the e-Golf.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/34Zn6byY5dzqx6Fp7

Image


Maybe close to 170 miles total range on a full charge. Very impressive!

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Volkswagen e-Golf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group