Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TDI to e-Golf?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:14 pm 

Went from 2013 Jetta TDI to 2017 e-Golf. Loved the Jetta, but it was a criminal. VW paid an amazing amount for its return. I spent a month or so looking for a new 2017 e-Golf, which we've had for a few weeks and 500+ miles. Very much like the Jetta: light, quick, nicely done and straight-forward interior and controls. So far, only downside is range.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:00 am 

slk23 wrote:
After my first 500 miles driving the e-Golf only one thing was really bothering me in comparison with my 2010 Golf TDI: the steering lightness and tendency to wander in the lane a bit on the freeway. After a little research I found that there's a steering weight setting accessible with VCDS and OBDeleven. Changing it from Comfort to Dynamic has made a noticeable difference in city driving; today I'll see how it feels on the freeway.

Update: 45 miles on the freeway and I'm really happy with the steering weight now.

Can you tell me where this is using VCDS?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:45 am 

slk23 wrote:
After my first 500 miles driving the e-Golf only one thing was really bothering me in comparison with my 2010 Golf TDI: the steering lightness and tendency to wander in the lane a bit on the freeway. After a little research I found that there's a steering weight setting accessible with VCDS and OBDeleven. Changing it from Comfort to Dynamic has made a noticeable difference in city driving; today I'll see how it feels on the freeway.

Update: 45 miles on the freeway and I'm really happy with the steering weight now.

This is a preference setting as I had a different experience: I liked the (heavy) steering feel on my old hydraulic rack-equipped sport package BMW but for me, switching this parameter didn't seem to add any feedback to the e-golf. Instead, I felt it exacerbated the numbness of the steering which otherwise might be mistaken for being hidden behind the power assist (i.e. attributed to a light grip on the wheel).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:59 pm 

Another update after driving a few more hundred miles: the e-Golf isn't as centered and doesn't track quite as well as my Golf Mk. 6 TDI but it's not bad with the Dynamic steering setting. I'll miss the TDI but I wouldn't keep it without the emissions modification and I don't want to deal with the technical and reliability issues associated with that, even with the extended warranty.

flyboy320 wrote:
Can you tell me where this is using VCDS?

Until I can connect VCDS again the best I can do is tell you to look in the Steering controller. There's a channel for 'steering curve' or something similar; that's where the Comfort and Dynamic choices are. Before you change it you'll have to enter the security code for the controller (code supplied by VCDS). By the way there's a also steering boost channel but no code is available to change that value.