Accessing charger from inside the trunk or cabin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LafinJack

Having some hacking thoughts over here, and I was wondering how stupid it would be to tap into the battery pack charger from inside the car. I mean it's right there kinda towards the back of the trunk and behind some molding, right? All I would be looking for is 110v access. What kind of voltage would be required for an extra battery pack or ICE generator to maintain the car at max draw, either city or highway driving?

Thoughts, thoughts...

1. The charge port is not connected to the battery while driving.
2. The on-board charger (the thing that connects to AC power and charges the traction battery) will not operate while driving.

You would have to tap somewhere else between the battery pack and traction motor to perform the hack you are suggesting. This is dangerous high voltage.

If you need to plug in a 120 volt device in the car, the safest thing to do is use is an inverter that plugs into one of the two power ports and steps up the voltage. Abide by the wattage limits of both the power port and the inverter.

Back