EXTREME COLD ISSUES

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
This is my first post.
We have put a deposit on a 2018 E-Golf and are super excited. Delivery date is in the spring.
I am aware that extreme cold or heat can drastically affect range and I can live with that.

My question / concern are if the E-Golf will encounter specific issues in the extreme cold weather of my region, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
-20c (-4 F) is very common here in the winter and during cold snaps with wind chill you can even get -30c (-22 F).

Will the vehicle start at those temperatures? Does the vehicle have a system to keep the batteries warmish when plugged in? I believe the LEAF does.

Anyway, any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Claude

This is interesting news..as I was told there would be no 2018 model...and that we are all waiting a 300 mile range ID vehicle. Maybe a different product roadmap for Canada?

ccantin123 said:
Hello,
This is my first post.
We have put a deposit on a 2018 E-Golf and are super excited. Delivery date is in the spring.
I am aware that extreme cold or heat can drastically affect range and I can live with that.

My question / concern are if the E-Golf will encounter specific issues in the extreme cold weather of my region, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
-20c (-4 F) is very common here in the winter and during cold snaps with wind chill you can even get -30c (-22 F).

Will the vehicle start at those temperatures? Does the vehicle have a system to keep the batteries warmish when plugged in? I believe the LEAF does.

Anyway, any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Claude

I am in Orangeville On - garage my eGolf at home - stays in an open parking lot at work - range drops in winter yes ... never had an issue with it not ' starting ' ;-) usually just plug it in on the weekend off peak to charge ( Flo unit ) I have not explored plugging it in to warm the vehicle - has not been an issue ...

I am in Ottawa as well and picked up my e-Golf in February, so I got a few weeks of truly cold winter weather experience.

- the range is shorter (normal) to the tune of about 160-180 km on the Guess-O-meter
- no issues with starting, driving, heating or any other systems
- the charging process itself warms the batteries, so does driving. eGolf does not have active battery cooling/warming but the software makes sure you operate within what is safe for the batteries
- as much as we might like the e-Golf, it is still an inanimate object and as such, wind chill does not apply. Dry bulb temperature only.

Back