Buying a 2018 eGolf with Ontario incentive by Sept 2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading a lot of threads.

I am in the process of purchasing a 2018 eGolf in southwestern Ontario. I had put down the deposit in Nov 2017 and was set to wait til March 2019. But then the PC's killed the incentive program and so I requested the order be cancelled. Surprise - dealership calls me back with news that they'll have a model in the colour I wanted (Atlantic Blue) coming in that'll still be eligible for the incentive if I buy it by Sept of this year.

I was in line to receive a 2019 model, and was expecting a longer range and the 48kwh battery. The 2018 has the same stats as the 2017, and the model coming in for me doesn't have any packages (unlike the fully loaded model I had ordered) and is coming up faster than I expected.

I was initially really excited about being able to get it with the incentive after all, but I'm starting to be doubtful. Does it seem like a reasonable decision to accept the downgrades just becuase this will be (in all likelihood) my last chance to get the incentive? Or to get the eGolf at all?

I had always planned to keep it for as long as possible (no intention of reselling), but with VW due to cease production in 2019, I'm worried about what it will be like to fix any issues that arise if the car is no longer in production. I assume parts will be easy enough to come by if they are normal to other golfs, but is there really no reason to be worried about this?

And with EV tech growing so much, I'll have a 200km car range for the next 8+ years (if I'm lucky), all because I love the golf and the incentive is right there. I planned to buy it outright but the accelerated timeline has left me anxious to drain all my savings. (I have no intention of financing with interest - which is all they can offer - if I can swing the purchase)

I'm really starting to doubt whether the investment will be worth it. It's approx 30k altogether after the incentive, and the eGolfs numbers aren't exactly best in class. So I'm worried I'll be saddled with decreasing range over the years (that wasn't even the best it could be), and stuck with dealership services forever because no one else will be able to fix anything that goes wrong.

Any advice? Am I wrong to be reconsidering it?

How certain is Canada going to receive a 2019 eGolf? Down on this side of the border, there are no signs of 2018's at all, and rumors have been spreading that VWoA may just skip MY 2018. Another rumor says that VW isn't going to offer the eGolf after 2018, and that we will have to wait until the I.D. series comes out in 2020 or later. I had not heard of VW offering the 48 kWH battery on the MQB-platform of the current car.

How far is your commute? If you will be pushing the 2018's range boundaries (particularly in winter) then you may want to hold off until VW offers a longer range model. But if 200 km is well within your daily range needs even in the dead of winter, you may be better off getting that, especially if you will permanently lose the incentive by waiting for that 2019 that may not come.

To each his own.
Fact is, if you don't buy by September, the business case for an EV will look a whole lot different in Ontario. You can get over that with a buck a beer, so everything will be fine. Nice to see they have the ir priorities straight.

Yes, EV technology keeps evolving. Like computers. If you are afraid that you won't have the latest, bestest, shiniest thingy and always wait...you will never ever buy a computer or an EV..or any car, for that matter.

I'd evaluate what YOUR needs are and whether the e-Golf can meet them. If so, go for it. If not, look for something else. As for "not best in class", well, debatable. It is a damn well put together, very capable vehicle in an attractive package. It will also last.

But, always your decision!

Hey guys,

RonDawg said:
How far is your commute? If you will be pushing the 2018's range boundaries (particularly in winter) then you may want to hold off until VW offers a longer range model. But if 200 km is well within your daily range needs even in the dead of winter, you may be better off getting that, especially if you will permanently lose the incentive by waiting for that 2019 that may not come.

RonDawg, you're right, the 2019 may never come to Canada, and even if it does, I don't see the PC's admitting any wrongs and restoring the incentive, which will make the 2019 approx 14k more expensive.

Also, my commute is quite short at about 20km both ways (double that if i pop home for lunch), and I have a charger at my work. Do you think I could get away with not installing a home charger?

cattlerepairman said:
Yes, EV technology keeps evolving. Like computers. If you are afraid that you won't have the latest, bestest, shiniest thingy and always wait...you will never ever buy a computer or an EV..or any car, for that matter.

I'd evaluate what YOUR needs are and whether the e-Golf can meet them. If so, go for it. If not, look for something else. As for "not best in class", well, debatable. It is a damn well put together, very capable vehicle in an attractive package. It will also last.

cattlerepairman, that is true. I've never been one to chase after the newest things, but I would like something long-lasting and reliable. And I feel bad for calling the golf not best in class. I would take the superior interior and ride quality over more range (like the Bolt) any day. I think it will meet my needs quite nicely actually :)

I've decided to go through with it and I'm getting more excited by the minute. It's set to arrive end of August and I can't wait!

Blue said:
Hey guys,

RonDawg said:

RonDawg, you're right, the 2019 may never come to Canada, and even if it does, I don't see the PC's admitting any wrongs and restoring the incentive, which will make the 2019 approx 14k more expensive.

Also, my commute is quite short at about 20km both ways (double that if i pop home for lunch), and I have a charger at my work. Do you think I could get away with not installing a home charger?

cattlerepairman said:

cattlerepairman, that is true. I've never been one to chase after the newest things, but I would like something long-lasting and reliable. And I feel bad for calling the golf not best in class. I would take the superior interior and ride quality over more range (like the Bolt) any day. I think it will meet my needs quite nicely actually :)

I've decided to go through with it and I'm getting more excited by the minute. It's set to arrive end of August and I can't wait!

Most here will tell you, to put a 240V 50 amp outlet in your garage, for a proper EVSE charging unit, and to not rely on mooching electrons for your electric car.

I wouldn’t bother with the L2 charger at home if you can charge at work. Try it for a month or two and see how it goes. I charge for free near my work every other day. Haven’t plugged in at home since December.

Yeah I'm just going to use my work charger and see how it goes. I would get to charge there for free, and it's 10km from my place. In Ontario, we've also lost the incentive in purchasing and installing an EV charger - so I'll be taking my time getting one and seeing how I make do.

Blue said:

Absolutely! I went 9 months on just 120 volt charging (this was on a Leaf) and my commute is about the same as yours. Just two caveats:

1. Make sure the outlet you are plugging into is in good condition and the circuit it's attached to does not have any other loads on it while the car is charging.
2. Preheating on 120 volt might not preheat the car as well as on 240 volts if it gets cold. It works fine in SoCal, but of course winter here is "shorts and t-shirt" weather to someone in that part of Canada :lol:

If there are any CCS-compatible fast chargers in your area, you could use those as a backup source if you needed to get somewhere far but it would take too long to get a sufficient charge level. CCS fast charging is standard on the top trim models here in the US and likely Canada, not sure if it's standard or optional on lower trim levels north of the border. Although your commute means you could go for well over a week before needing to recharge, when charging on 120 volt I recommend plugging in at every opportunity, but making sure to keep it at 80% or less unless you will be driving the car soon after it finishes charging. You can set a maximum charge level (of your choice) in the timer settings menu.

Blue said:
Yeah I'm just going to use my work charger and see how it goes. I would get to charge there for free, and it's 10km from my place. In Ontario, we've also lost the incentive in purchasing and installing an EV charger - so I'll be taking my time getting one and seeing how I make do.

Pre-heating (or-cooling) on 240V is very nice.
A charging station is not horribly expensive (about $800) and all you need is to run a dedicated line. Probably not more than a couple of hundred with an electician friend.

With only a 10km commute you can easily top up at work. The "charging speed" on a 15A 110V outlet is 4-6 km/h (range added per hour). At 240V it is 40-60 km/h.

Or you can get one used. I have a purchased new HCS-40 that has been very reliable. For my driving, I rarely need the 30 amps, so I could have saved money by purchasing a 24 amp unit.

https://store.clippercreek.com/used

You know I hadn't considered buying it used - that's a great option.

Also - on the topic of charging - I've been reading a lot about the different types of chargers. What type exactly is compatible with the eGolf?

I know the Nissan charges with the CHAdeMO Connector - right? But the golf charges with the J1772 Connector and the J1772 Combo Connector (for fast charging). Is that accurate?

Have you guys found it difficult to find compatible chargers around? Do you always have to check that a station has a compatible plug before heading there?

-

Also, my order was apparently different that I anticipated (thanks to the fantastic communication of my salesperson - that I have now changed). I am now getting the car with the Technology option, and paying for it when I really just wanted my damn volume knob. It's such an inconvenience but it's the only model available and I have no time and no other choice. Anyone have any positives to say about the Tech package that'll make me less miffed about this development? (I really wish I had the Digital Cockpit - I could cry I wanted that so bad).

The eGolf uses the J1772 connector that every post-2010 highway capable EV (that is not a Tesla) in North America uses for 120 volt and 240 volt charging.

For fast charging, it uses the CCS system, which is what GM and BMW and soon Hyundai/Kia will be using (the Kia Soul EV uses CHAdeMO). CCS is not as predominant as CHAdeMO but as more DCFC stations are installed, they tend to be the type that have both types of connectors. You will need to check Plugshare for the areas you plan on using your car to see how many CCS stations there are. And yes you should check Plugshare or other sources before heading there as not only could it be incompatible, but could be broken, or have other issues like only open during certain hours, or can only be used by certain people, etc. Plugshare lets you filter the results so you don't have to look at non-compatible stations like CHAdeMO or Tesla Supercharger.

I can't comment on the Technology Package without knowing what it specifically includes. On this side of the border VW has different option packages and even different names for the trim levels than in Canada.

Back