Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Charging fault, charging port locked and won't let go
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 am 

This video was posted to the VW e-Golf Facebook Group. If you're not a member, you may not be able to see it. It is a "Closed Group" but that means that you have to join, not that it's defunct.

https://www.facebook.com/snooproberob/v ... 955499216/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm 

I don't have a Facebook account, and will not apply for one, so I can't see the video. What does the video show?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:53 pm 

f1geek wrote:
I don't have a Facebook account, and will not apply for one, so I can't see the video. What does the video show?

It shows an e-Golf that arcs when a ChargePoint Home EVSE is actively charging the car. The charge port lock was not engaged and the button was pressed to release the J1772 handle and the handle was pulled out. Big sparks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm 

I haven't seen the video, of course, but I called Chargepoint to ask about whether this is possible with a properly functioning Chargepoint home station (with the e-Golf) and I was told that a properly working station will not allow arcing per the J1772 safety protocols. So what you are seeing in this video is probably a damaged plug, wiring or station. Assuming all the parts of the station, cable and plug are in good working order, then there will be no arcing even if the plug is removed mid-charging.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:33 pm 

I don't remember the particulars, but I believe his on-board charger was replaced after this. However, he did say that ChargePoint was able to reproduce some of his problems.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:01 am 

miimura wrote:
I don't remember the particulars, but I believe his on-board charger was replaced after this. However, he did say that ChargePoint was able to reproduce some of his problems.

I can tell you for certain that my e-motorwerks unit will do the same arcing, under certain circumstances. Not only that, but you can smell the ionized air from it if you sniff the plug in on the handle. I always push the unlock on the keyfob now, then wait 1/2 to 1 second before removing the handle, on my 2015 SEL. Arcing like that is bad for everything at the port and in the handle. Use the unlock feature on the keyfob, always, to stop the recharging process.

Rarely for me is this a problem, since I usually do a full recharge right before I leave. It's topped off for 10 to 30 minutes before I unplug and drive off. I will usually get 3 to 4 trips out of the car at 27 miles each, before recharging, less in winter time.

I am not noticing much battery degradation or reduction in range this summer. I have also completely stayed away from any fast recharging for almost a year now. Not sure if it's making a difference, since before that, I so rarely recharged DCFC. A good 240V home supply at 30 amps is plenty good and fast enough for me, and convenient.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11