Charging fault, charging port locked and won't let go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This video was posted to the VW e-Golf Facebook Group. If you're not a member, you may not be able to see it. It is a "Closed Group" but that means that you have to join, not that it's defunct.

https://www.facebook.com/snooproberob/videos/1178932955499216/

I don't have a Facebook account, and will not apply for one, so I can't see the video. What does the video show?

f1geek said:
I don't have a Facebook account, and will not apply for one, so I can't see the video. What does the video show?
It shows an e-Golf that arcs when a ChargePoint Home EVSE is actively charging the car. The charge port lock was not engaged and the button was pressed to release the J1772 handle and the handle was pulled out. Big sparks.

I haven't seen the video, of course, but I called Chargepoint to ask about whether this is possible with a properly functioning Chargepoint home station (with the e-Golf) and I was told that a properly working station will not allow arcing per the J1772 safety protocols. So what you are seeing in this video is probably a damaged plug, wiring or station. Assuming all the parts of the station, cable and plug are in good working order, then there will be no arcing even if the plug is removed mid-charging.

I don't remember the particulars, but I believe his on-board charger was replaced after this. However, he did say that ChargePoint was able to reproduce some of his problems.

miimura said:
I don't remember the particulars, but I believe his on-board charger was replaced after this. However, he did say that ChargePoint was able to reproduce some of his problems.

I can tell you for certain that my e-motorwerks unit will do the same arcing, under certain circumstances. Not only that, but you can smell the ionized air from it if you sniff the plug in on the handle. I always push the unlock on the keyfob now, then wait 1/2 to 1 second before removing the handle, on my 2015 SEL. Arcing like that is bad for everything at the port and in the handle. Use the unlock feature on the keyfob, always, to stop the recharging process.

Rarely for me is this a problem, since I usually do a full recharge right before I leave. It's topped off for 10 to 30 minutes before I unplug and drive off. I will usually get 3 to 4 trips out of the car at 27 miles each, before recharging, less in winter time.

I am not noticing much battery degradation or reduction in range this summer. I have also completely stayed away from any fast recharging for almost a year now. Not sure if it's making a difference, since before that, I so rarely recharged DCFC. A good 240V home supply at 30 amps is plenty good and fast enough for me, and convenient.

Same exact problem here, EVmainiac : ) 2015 eGolf w/ 30K miles. Cept it's now Sept 2019, and three mos ago replaced the "JX1" inverter (which left me dead on the side of the highway. Had to be towed) Charging cable is stuck on the car this morning, red lite, "Unable to Charge! Service vehicle" on the dash. I've disconnected it from the house 240v. I'm going to cut n paste your guys solution, and show it to the mechanics.
Other than this stuff, I've loved this car like no other. Betrayal hurts : )

Have any other 'duct-tape engineers' tried this? :
"UPDATE: This kept happening, but ONLY with the 110V home charger. The wire 'nudging' trick described above worked, but got tedious (particularly in pouring rain) - so I clipped the latch tab on the end of the plug with a pair of wire cutters, problem solved forever (obviously)! I'm an engineer and it looks like there is interference between the metal locking pin on the car side (photo in a previous post) and the latch tab on the plug side... it seems to stick, even get hung up entirely forcing some to have to be towed back to VW. A design/quality flaw... snip off that locking tab and you'll be good forever!

CAsurfMobile said:
Have any other 'duct-tape engineers' tried this? :
"UPDATE: This kept happening, but ONLY with the 110V home charger. The wire 'nudging' trick described above worked, but got tedious (particularly in pouring rain) - so I clipped the latch tab on the end of the plug with a pair of wire cutters, problem solved forever (obviously)! I'm an engineer and it looks like there is interference between the metal locking pin on the car side (photo in a previous post) and the latch tab on the plug side... it seems to stick, even get hung up entirely forcing some to have to be towed back to VW. A design/quality flaw... snip off that locking tab and you'll be good forever!

Try spraying some silicone spray on the pin that slides in and out and locks, every 3 or 4 months... no need to cut the locking tab. You are creating more problems than you are solving. Read your owners manual on how to properly use your keyfob to stop the charging cycle.

I had this issue -- locked charging port with red light -- for the first time yesterday. I have 38K miles on my 2015 eGolf and its 5 year power system warranty will expire at the end of the year. I was able to release the plug using a punch tool to retract the solenoid pin and lubricated the pin with silicone spray. Today the power plug released without issue on the first door unlock attempt. In the few months prior to this fault, I occasionally needed multiply unlock attempts before the plug would release. I consider this a maintenance issue in that periodic silicone lubrication will keep this fault problem in check and the shroud design on the power plug of my Siemens L2 EVSE allows easy solenoid pin access.

I do not plan to initiate a service appointment with VW at this time. I feel if VW did accept the problem as real and replaced the charging port hardware, there could potentially be more damage done by the replacement process given the need to drop the battery. I believe that local VW dealer in my area of upstate NY do not have the experience with eGolfs.

So, any opinions as to whether I should treat this issue as a maintenance issue or should I seek VW service? Finally, thanks to all who contribute to this forum with the advice for addressing this problem.

RecoverE said:
I was able to release the plug using a punch tool to retract the solenoid pin and lubricated the pin with silicone spray.

How did you lubricate the pin? Is there a way to get it to extend when not charging so you have access to it, or did you just spray the silicone as best you could when the pin was retracted?

With the power plug in place and the retaining pin extended, I was able to spray the extended pin using an extension tube on the can of silicone spray.

flyboy320 said:
RecoverE said:
With the power plug in place and the retaining pin extended, I was able to spray the extended pin using an extension tube on the can of silicone spray.

OK, thanks, I think I'll go and do mine now :)

Wipe off the excess, once finished, also helps to lubricate that pin every 2 or 3 months with silicone. Don't wait for it to start sticking.

JoulesThief said:
Wipe off the excess, once finished, also helps to lubricate that pin every 2 or 3 months with silicone. Don't wait for it to start sticking.

I also sprayed the J1772 plug when I first got the car since it was hard to insert into the charging port, and silicone spray dries with no residue to attract dust/dirt, plugs in so much easier now.

2016 e-Golf, about 25,000 miles, couldn't unplug last night, snowing, rushing to bbq joint to pick up grub for the game, embarrassing, frustrating.

Reading tips here, liking the simplest solution, went out this morning, pushed the charger in another 1/16" - 1/8" or so, heard it click, green light came on, grabbed front passenger door handle to unlock, light went out, unplugged fine. (Similar happened when I first bought it in Sept 2019, flailed around until I could finally remove it. Not sure what did the trick back then, but guessing maybe I pushed on it.)

I like the idea of the silicone spray from here. Currently need to wrassle with it a bit to get it on and off.

Today I experienced my second locked charging plug with a red light fault. The vehicle was charging and I attempted to unlock and remove the plug using the unlock button on the key FOB. I will have owned the vehicle for 5 years with 30K miles at the end of this month. Any opinions on whether the 5 year power train warranty covers the charging port as part of its drive system?

LOL, have you ever been to a VW service department?!?

Sorry, couldn't resist the snark, but to honestly answer your question, even though I think you have a valid point, I do not believe they would consider the charge port part of the powertrain for warranty purposes.

Hi people!

Just to blow this topic back to the top;

Did someone already succesfully replaced the locking solenoid by his/her self?

There is a post on this forum (and VW Vortex, too, I think) describing how to move the solenoid (not a simple operation, as described) so it can be manually pulled out or pushed in, but no longer stops J1772 plug removal. Ideally, a replacement in the original location is much safer because the e-Golf does not fully implement the J1772 standard, with the consequence of potentially getting a nice spark if you pull out the plug while charging.

Back