e-Golf mechanics vs. regular VW mechanics -- does it matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckdavis

I purchased a 2017 e-Golf in Oct. 2017. The dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle does a 3000-mile courtesy checkup. When I took my car in last December, I had a concern about a knocking sound I'd hear when braking. The service adviser said that no one could check on that issue for me on this particular day because they didn't have an e-Golf mechanic on duty, and that regular mechanics could only check tire pressure, fill fluids, change wiper blades, etc.

So as I approach the 10,000-mile service, is it important to make sure that the mechanic servicing my vehicle is en e-Golf certified mechanic? I know they don't do much at the 10,000-mile mark, but when I called to schedule the appointment at the dealership in the San Fernando Valley, the person on the phone said that any mechanic at the dealership could do the service. (And I still have the noise I hear when braking, and at times the radio turns on mysteriously when the car is off -- items I would imagine only an e-Golf certified mechanic could address?)

I'm in Southern California, so I imagine that these e-Golf mechanics must rotate among dealerships given the numbers of e-Golfs in this area.

According to a service advisor at my local dealership, each eGolf-certified dealership is supposed to have 2 such qualified technicians, in case one calls in sick or is off, or suddenly quits.

Aside from the EV-specific portions of the car, there's nothing about it that can't be worked on by any qualified mechanic, including yourself if you know what' you're doing. You don't need an eGolf-qualified tech to do things like a brake fluid flush.

Back