Missing inventory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, it's not a resale value consideration if you keep the car long term. But for those who are selling, the HOV privilege makes a big difference.

I know this first hand, because I bought a 2014 Prius Plug-In in June 2014. At the time, the state ran out of green HOV stickers. To move vehicles, Toyota had to give a $4K rebate + 0% financing for 3 years, and that was before any Federal, CA, PG&E, and local rebates. When the state starting issuing more stickers in Fall 2014, the deals that Toyota offered changed accordingly.

HOV stickers can be a big deal for many who drive in heavily congested areas during rush hour traffic - much of the Bay Area for example. The amount of time HOV stickers can save can be significant. And that does not mean racing on Hwy 101 at 75 miles an hour.

I would expect the sticker expiration to have a negative sales value effect (in the Bay Area, parts of LA) on any e-Golf that cannot be stickered after 31 December 2018 (all e-Golfs sold prior to 1 January 2017 which are all 2015s and many but not all 2016s IIRC).

Yes, the HOV sticker definitely saves me at an average of 30 minutes each way (Freeway 101-from San Jose to San Mateo)! I was on the fence regarding keeping the 2016 Egolf when the lease expired in Jan, 2019. However, the inability to renew the HOV sticker definitely pushed me to return the car when the lease expired (got my sticker Feb, 2017).

pheonix said:
Yes, the HOV sticker definitely saves me at an average of 30 minutes each way (Freeway 101-from San Jose to San Mateo)! I was on the fence regarding keeping the 2016 Egolf when the lease expired in Jan, 2019. However, the inability to renew the HOV sticker definitely pushed me to return the car when the lease expired (got my sticker Feb, 2017).
If your sticker was issued in 2017, you can apply for new stickers that will expire 1/1/2022.

Owners of vehicles issued a Green or White HOV decal after January 1, 2017 will be eligible for the new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

VW of Oakland has used eGolfs for $16k to $18k, and five new 2017 SE's for $32,475:

https://www.vwofoakland.com/used-vehicles/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&model%5B%5D=e-Golf&page=1&type%5B%5D=New&type%5B%5D=Certified+Used&type%5B%5D=Used

In the next 6 months you're going to start seeing a lot of 2016 lease returns. To give you an idea, the residual to buy out the lease on my 2016 SE is a little over $13k, which is on the high side for SE's at that time. I'd expect to see a dealer price it at $15k-$16k.

I love my 2016 eGolf and I'm on the fence about keeping it after the lease ends. I'd like something with longer range, and if I knew I were going to keep it I would have gotten one with the faster charger even though I really only needed it twice in 3 years. I'm leaning towards a Bolt or a Prius Prime.

Appreciate all the good info and it's clear we all have a unique perspective, different commutes and different reasons for owning the car etc.

For me the HOV plate in AZ is a main benefit of having an EV (that and a ridiculously cheap registration of about $30/yr). A close second is I actually enjoy driving them. I won't complain about our traffic to the LA/Bay area folks here, but it's all relative and I hate sitting in traffic. Thankfully they do not expire like CA stickers, though I'm sure that day will eventually come.

I'm stuck between range vs value. The real issue is I'm not sure how much range I truly need. as I'm between jobs. It's a safe assumption that the 83mi range will be enough, however as we know more is always better and would also allow me to only charge to 80-90% on a regular basis. Being in AZ, that's a definite plus.

So 2016 SEL used for around 18k, or a new 2017 SE factoring in the tax credit with better financing options. I've even seen a few lightly used from 25-27k private party.

Either way I can't see myself going back to Ford.

Yes, there are other ways to control SOC. Doesn't change the fact that with the 2016+ models, you don't need to do any of that. I too have a Juicebox 40 Pro btw. I just never bothered to take it out of the box because 120V suits my needs for now.

120v also suits my needs for now. Can the SOC be controlled via the app with a L1 charger? Or is L2 needed?

The app (and in the car for 2016 and 2017) can control SOC for L1 or L2 charging (not for DCFC).

Using an external device like a Juicebox would make setting SOC limits impossible at a public charging station (which I use a lot). Also if you travel and want to limit SOC, you have to bring an additional EVSE - quite a pain in the rear, if you ask me. If you have a 2015 and pay through the nose for the app connection, you need cell signal. Car-Net costs $200 a year for a 2015 e-Golf. Assuming you keep the car for 5 years, that warrants a $1000 discount on the purchase price of a used 2015, more if you plan to keep it longer.

Case in point: I just drove 220 miles to a lake in the Sierra Nevada range with a pretty packed car since I had two passengers, parked and charged the car at 5200 feet elevation, and then drove back down the mountain several days later. I did not want to lose regen braking on the way down nor charge the battery repeatedly above 98% (the manual says not to do this) if I charged to 100% SOC at 5200 feet, and I wanted to make just one stop on the way home, so I set the charging limit to 90% SOC while charging with the included L1 trickle charging EVSE. There was no cellular signal and no WiFi where I vacationed, but I was able to set the in-car charging schedule just fine. During the trip down the mountain, because there were several places with elevation increases, the car's SOC never went above 95% and I was able to make the 220 mile return trip with just one DCFC stop.

f1geek said:
If you have a 2015 and pay through the nose for the app connection, you need cell signal. Car-Net costs $200 a year for a 2015 e-Golf.

Does this cost take effect after the 3rd year is done? I have a 3-year lease on a 2015 ending this Oct, and I've never paid for car-net. I don't get the extra features, but I am able to control charging (such as it is) via car-net without paying anything, at least so far.

That’s what VW told me would happen. I returned my leased 2015 after a 35 months, so I did not experience the service discontinuing. Anyone buying a used 2015 will soon have a three year old car requiring car-net payment if you want the app to function.

f1geek said:
That’s what VW told me would happen. I returned my leased 2015 after a 35 months, so I did not experience the service discontinuing. Anyone buying a used 2015 will soon have a three year old car requiring car-net payment if you want the app to function.

CarNet customer service has told me on more than one occasion that for our (purchased used in 11/17) 2015 e-Golf that we'll have free access for the e-Golf features (Battery, Climate Control, and Remote) ongoing. So far that has been the case. The current account is setup as a "3 year EV complimentary" account that is set to expire in 11/20. When the account was setup I was told it would be ongoing renewals for the free version because the 2015 is missing EV functions in the car's infotainment UI. I guess I'll find out in 2020.

We currently do not have live health, speed alerts, or boundary alerts but that is all we lost in the free version. We do still get monthly health report emails, just can't see health in between.

I did the account setup with CarNet after we bought the car. They gave us a 90 day free trial for the full version and it dropped to the free version after that.

msvphoto said:
f1geek said:

CarNet customer service has told me on more than one occasion that for our (purchased used in 11/17) 2015 e-Golf that we'll have free access for the e-Golf features (Battery, Climate Control, and Remote) ongoing. So far that has been the case. The current account is setup as a "3 year EV complimentary" account that is set to expire in 11/20. When the account was setup I was told it would be ongoing renewals for the free version because the 2015 is missing EV functions in the car's infotainment UI. I guess I'll find out in 2020.

We currently do not have live health, speed alerts, or boundary alerts but that is all we lost in the free version. We do still get monthly health report emails, just can't see health in between.

I did the account setup with CarNet after we bought the car. They gave us a 90 day free trial for the full version and it dropped to the free version after that.
I agree with this. Once you are set up and running on the free EV functions, I don't expect them to turn it off. The problem will be in buying a used 2015 and getting them to turn it on for you. CarNet will undoubtedly insist you buy the full package. I would expect that it would take a lot of hassle back and forth between VW Customer Service and CarNet Customer Service (Verizon Telematics) to get this straightened out. I would be happy to be wrong about this and it is possible that they have streamlined the process since quite a few of the 2015's have gone through the lease return and resale process. I just wanted to set expectations.

I am really glad to hear VW is not charging for EV functions. I made numerous calls to VW about this issue when I was leasing the 2015 and was repeatedly told it would be a paid service. This gives me hope that the VW company culture is changing. Ok, so no need to assume a $200/ year fee to set SOC.

miimura said:
msvphoto said:
f1geek said:

I agree with this. Once you are set up and running on the free EV functions, I don't expect them to turn it off. The problem will be in buying a used 2015 and getting them to turn it on for you. CarNet will undoubtedly insist you buy the full package. I would expect that it would take a lot of hassle back and forth between VW Customer Service and CarNet Customer Service (Verizon Telematics) to get this straightened out. I would be happy to be wrong about this and it is possible that they have streamlined the process since quite a few of the 2015's have gone through the lease return and resale process. I just wanted to set expectations.

Ours was a used 2015 purchased in Nov 2017 and there were no problems setting up CarNet. Not sure how it will be ongoing though.

miimura said:
pheonix said:
If your sticker was issued in 2017, you can apply for new stickers that will expire 1/1/2022.

Owners of vehicles issued a Green or White HOV decal after January 1, 2017 will be eligible for the new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
Thanks for pointing that out! My 2016 SE White Sticker was actually issued February, 2016.

I just checked Sunnyvale VW and they have 40 2019 e-Golfs! I hope we get some down here in San Diego.

Santa Cruz just received two SEs, one in blue and one in silver. Both had the $650 DAP package option. They're not a very large dealer so I'd take this as a good sign inventories should be filling out soon. Took a pic of a window sticker:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z

The White Silver Metallic looks very sharp. It's kind of a "ghost white" or "pearl white" and makes you do a double-take.

I had some time to kill so they ran a quote and, as expected, weren't willing to knock much off MSRP. They did offer a fair trade-in value for my 2016 SE, but since it has red stickers, I'd still consider it worth over $15k on the open market.

The e-Golf costs will be quite a bit more than the deals we got in 2015-2017, but it's still a great value compared to my i3s. I'm glad they've made DCFC standard as this was my only real buyer's remorse item. I would have liked them to do the same for LED headlights though, as it's really a safety item.

johnnylingo said:
Santa Cruz just received two SEs, one in blue and one in silver. Both had the $650 DAP package option. They're not a very large dealer so I'd take this as a good sign inventories should be filling out soon. Took a pic of a window sticker:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z

The White Silver Metallic looks very sharp. It's kind of a "ghost white" or "pearl white" and makes you do a double-take.

I had some time to kill so they ran a quote and, as expected, weren't willing to knock much off MSRP. They did offer a fair trade-in value for my 2016 SE, but since it has red stickers, I'd still consider it worth over $15k on the open market.

The e-Golf costs will be quite a bit more than the deals we got in 2015-2017, but it's still a great value compared to my i3s. I'm glad they've made DCFC standard as this was my only real buyer's remorse item. I would have liked them to do the same for LED headlights though, as it's really a safety item.

SC VW would probably ask $18k or so for your car used regardless of stickers (which are mostly useless in Santa Cruz anyway unless commuting the hill--my commute is West Cliff so I could care less). SC VW used car prices are way high. We saved $4k _and_ were treated well by going over the hill to Capitol VW when we bought our '15 SEL used.

The White Silver Metallic is a great color, would love a Golf R (or e-Golf of course) in that color. Did it look like the cloth for the seats has changed? Much as I am not a huge fan of naugabeast cloth that stains easily is not so wonderful.

Thanks for the report!

Back