Transmission B Mode and Brake Lights on deceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob2s

Does anyone know how to disable this ? Brake lights don't come on when I downshift in my other cars, I don't like it.
Thanks

PS Yes I know why it exists, but it comes on with even the slightest back off the accelerator.

Do you like being rear ended? I understand you want to defeat the safety feature in the car; I just don't understand why you would want to assist a distracted texting idiot to crash into your car. Also, if the insurance company found out, you may lose coverage for that crash. Have fun!

I will take the risk over appearing to be a braking riding mother f*cker.

ob2s said:

Then don't use B Mode. I find it mostly useless and if anything an impairment to efficiency. The e-Golf is not a great example of a "one foot EV" like a Tesla.

D1, D2, and D3 modes can be useful and do not turn on brake lights, but even then I only use those modes when descending long grades.

As far as downshifting, a Porsche mechanic friend (who also raced Porsches at the time) told me back in the 1980s that brakes are a lot cheaper to replace than clutches and driveline parts. That advice changed my driving style forever. Downshifting is great for holding speed down long grades (as are D1-3 on the e-Golf) without cooking brakes, but not so good to setup entry speed into a corner, especially in a track environment. Being in the correct gear at the apex and tail out is important, of course, but that is to accelerate out of the turn, not slow down on entry.

To answer your question, the connection between B Mode and the brake light is in software. You would need to be very good at coding to figure that mod out.

I remember reading that while D1 does not activate the brake lights, D2 and D3 do activate the brake lights. So, you might want to verify this....
I use B mode all the time and I have gotten very used to it so that I am able to usually bring the car to a complete stop without using the brake pedal. To each his own.

If you don't want to embark upon hacking the software to stop the brake lights turning on, it seems disconnecting the lights might be the only way. Good luck!

msvphoto said:
ob2s said:
As far as downshifting, a Porsche mechanic friend (who also raced Porsches at the time) told me back in the 1980s that brakes are a lot cheaper to replace than clutches and driveline parts.

Thanks, my only manual car is 56 Mercedes. I downshift because the brakes are shoes....

Thanks for the tip on D3.

ob2s said:

Stick it in D3 instead. Or actually just leave it in "D" and use the brake pedal like an normal, intelligent, fully functional driver.

Your self centered thoughtlessness to the standards of all other drivers on the road that need brake lights to tell them to step on the brakes is something that should keep you off of our public roads. Perhaps your driver's license instead, needs to be disabled, you've forgotten what, if anything, you learned in driver's education. In addition to being a moving violation for non functioning brake lights under braking conditions.

msvphoto said:
ob2s said:

Then don't use B Mode. I find it mostly useless and if anything an impairment to efficiency. The e-Golf is not a great example of a "one foot EV" like a Tesla.

D1, D2, and D3 modes can be useful and do not turn on brake lights, but even then I only use those modes when descending long grades.

As far as downshifting, a Porsche mechanic friend (who also raced Porsches at the time) told me back in the 1980s that brakes are a lot cheaper to replace than clutches and driveline parts. That advice changed my driving style forever. Downshifting is great for holding speed down long grades (as are D1-3 on the e-Golf) without cooking brakes, but not so good to setup entry speed into a corner, especially in a track environment. Being in the correct gear at the apex and tail out is important, of course, but that is to accelerate out of the turn, not slow down on entry.

To answer your question, the connection between B Mode and the brake light is in software. You would need to be very good at coding to figure that mod out.

Nailed it /\ Brakes are cheap. Bodywork when someone rear ends you, still got your deductible, plus shop time, plus rental while in the shop. Not worth it. Use the brake lights.

D3 gives almost as much regen as B but without brake lights - I prefer it in traffic.

JoulesThief said:
ob2s said:
Perhaps your driver's license instead, needs to be disabled, you've forgotten what, if anything, you learned in driver's education.
I want to keep things civil, and since this forum has helped me, and I shall be, however I don't give two shytes what you think about my request or what you think should happen to me. If the brake light came as function of the G's of deceleration rather than merely removing your foot, I'd be ok with it. So if D3 yields 75% of the deceleration of B that only makes me a 75% dick. Only 75% of my license should be revoked ? You don't know me, you don't know how I drive, so zip it.

Verkehr said:
D3 gives almost as much regen as B but without brake lights - I prefer it in traffic.
Thanks Verkehr, I wish you little Verekehr. I've tried it and am happy with it.

Back