Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am
Posts: 13
Location: San Diego, Ca
Hi, I'm the new kid here.

I just picked up a 2015 e-Golf limited. Bottom line: not having cruise control is one of the top First World problems. I know kits exist, but would appreciate recommendations and first-hand experience.

Any help is appreciated.

_________________
Victor Marshall

Copyright 2018
May be quoted on this site. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2092
The range on this car is so short, you won't miss cruise control. It's a non issue. Or, next time, buy a car that has all the features you want, when you buy it used. Can't buy Microbrew beer when you have a PBR budget.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am
Posts: 13
Location: San Diego, Ca
JoulesThief wrote:
The range on this car is so short, you won't miss cruise control. It's a non issue. Or, next time, buy a car that has all the features you want, when you buy it used. Can't buy Microbrew beer when you have a PBR budget.


You are clearly not able to answer my question.
Please delete your reply.

_________________
Victor Marshall

Copyright 2018
May be quoted on this site. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:18 pm
Posts: 350
I think it's ok that you don't have the budget for a SEL and yet want cruise control. Good for you for staying within your budget and not splurging on an SEL if you don't need most the features it offers! I purchased an LE and it has everything I want except the LED headlamps, which I may save up for over the next few years and then swap in for the halogens.

You raise a good question. Since the e-Golf is an EV, I don't know if there is a throttle cable and, of course, there isn't a throttle. I'll have to have a peek under the hood. I wonder if the cruise control is simply an electronic signal to keep the current going to the motor constant. Sorry I can't be of more help. Best of luck!

_________________
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:13 pm
Posts: 1194
Location: Los Altos, CA
I thought about this before. The fancy steering wheel has the cruise control buttons. If you got one off a wreck and installed it properly, it may just send the correct messages to the computers and it might just work. On the other hand, it may require some clever coding to get the car to turn on the cruise control functionality. I planned to return our leased LE all along, so I never seriously considering doing it. The manual also pictures a stalk with the cruise control buttons. If there is another Golf/Jetta model that came with those buttons, replacing the entire stalk assembly would be another path to a mod. Same advisory about coding would apply.

_________________
2015 e-Golf LE (returned) | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 2012 RAV4 EV Shoreline w/JdeMO | Leviton EVB40 & Jesla Home Charging | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV + 2x Powerwall 2 AC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am
Posts: 13
Location: San Diego, Ca
There are some helpful videos on adding a simple stalk plus supporting parts for cruise control, and another video on adding the upgraded steering wheel. I will investigate the JY route.

...so seriously, nobody on this board has tried any of the kits?

_________________
Victor Marshall

Copyright 2018
May be quoted on this site. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 101
There's a detailed thread on replacing the steering wheel for the SE models, and users attempting to program/retrofit cruise control, on VWVortex.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... e-Golf-SE/

However, I have yet to see a post showing actual success.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm
Posts: 2092
P63 wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
The range on this car is so short, you won't miss cruise control. It's a non issue. Or, next time, buy a car that has all the features you want, when you buy it used. Can't buy Microbrew beer when you have a PBR budget.


You are clearly not able to answer my question.
Please delete your reply.


The answer is, it's probably doable. The question is, who has the skills to do it, without breaking the clockspring for the airbags on the steering wheel, and the skills with VCDS software and cable, to go in and find out what the hexidecimal code is to do so.

For me, easier to go make the money, instead, and buy it with the features I want, since time is money. For you... maybe you have the time... but there aren't a lot of e-Golfs out there or predecessors, that will hand you the keys and know how on how to do so. But I am pretty sure it's in there, in the long code, probably somewhere in the body control module, unless the SEL and LE's in 2015 got different part numbers for the BCM.

You clearly don't know me, or what I know, or don't know, about VW's. Perhaps you should stick to Mustangs, and I'll stick to German cars.

_________________
2015 e-Golf SEL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am
Posts: 13
Location: San Diego, Ca
JoulesThief wrote:
P63 wrote:
JoulesThief wrote:
The range on this car is so short, you won't miss cruise control. It's a non issue. Or, next time, buy a car that has all the features you want, when you buy it used. Can't buy Microbrew beer when you have a PBR budget.


You are clearly not able to answer my question.
Please delete your reply.


The answer is, it's probably doable. The question is, who has the skills to do it, without breaking the clockspring for the airbags on the steering wheel, and the skills with VCDS software and cable, to go in and find out what the hexidecimal code is to do so.

For me, easier to go make the money, instead, and buy it with the features I want, since time is money. For you... maybe you have the time... but there aren't a lot of e-Golfs out there or predecessors, that will hand you the keys and know how on how to do so. But I am pretty sure it's in there, in the long code, probably somewhere in the body control module, unless the SEL and LE's in 2015 got different part numbers for the BCM.

You clearly don't know me, or what I know, or don't know, about VW's. Perhaps you should stick to Mustangs, and I'll stick to German cars.



Thank you for your suggestion. You have already established that you don't know the answer, so there's no need to repeat yourself.

_________________
Victor Marshall

Copyright 2018
May be quoted on this site. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Cruise Control kits
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am
Posts: 13
Location: San Diego, Ca
JoulesThief wrote:

The answer is, it's probably doable. The question is, who has the skills to do it, without breaking the clockspring for the airbags on the steering wheel, and the skills with VCDS software and cable, to go in and find out what the hexidecimal code is to do so.

For me, easier to go make the money, instead, and buy it with the features I want, since time is money. For you... maybe you have the time... but there aren't a lot of e-Golfs out there or predecessors, that will hand you the keys and know how on how to do so. But I am pretty sure it's in there, in the long code, probably somewhere in the body control module, unless the SEL and LE's in 2015 got different part numbers for the BCM.

You clearly don't know me, or what I know, or don't know, about VW's. Perhaps you should stick to Mustangs, and I'll stick to German cars.



Thank you for your suggestion. You have already established that you don't know the answer, so there's no need to repeat yourself.

_________________
Victor Marshall

Copyright 2018
May be quoted on this site. Not to be otherwise copied or reprinted without permission.


Last edited by P63 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Volkswagen e-Golf Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group