E-Golf interior locking mechanism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FCA1975

First off, hello all! This is my first post and the [2015] e-Golf I now have is my first ever German automobile. I think that in itself is kind if funny because I was born in Germany (43 years ago). I traded my 2013 Nissan Leaf S (no longer a Nissan owner after having one ever since I first began to drive at 16). I loved that car, but I really love the e-Golf even more. I love the outside looks, the interior, and especially the factory sound system.

But there is something I do not love, and I have a question that a search on this site, nor could a Google search, and certainly not the hilariously oft-inacurate owners manual could address. It is in regards to the push button interior locks.

Every car I have ever owned, including the Leaf, allowed me to press the lock button before closing the door (when the keyfob is not on me personally). But this car only let's me lock the doors with the remote (of course) and the outside handle by touch [love that feature by the way] when I have the keyfob on me. Is that a safety feature or is something wrong?

Welcome to the forum, from another ex-Leafer.

Regarding the door locks, that has been a VW trait for as long as I am aware of (my mother used to drive a '71 Super Beetle -- with the "Automatic StickShift"), at least with the driver's door. Yes it's to prevent you from getting locked out of your own car, though a VW dealer (thankfully no longer in business) managed to do that with my mother's '89 Golf :roll: My Audi was the same way, so it's apparently a VW Group policy.

It's my belief, it's a TUV (german standards for cars) requirement for all German made cars.

i found a way got lock out of the car with the key inside! Usually, the car will not let you lock the door with the key inside. I found out a loophole the hard way.

the car is locked. i had the key in my tennis bag. Without unlocking the car, i supposed the car senses the key nearby and let me open the trunk. So, silly me, drop my bag with he key in the truck and close it. The car trunk automatically re-lock and won;t let me open!!

Had to walk 3-4 miles home to get a spare key!

Back