MY2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasCC

any word on when we will be getting the 2018s? I just realized that VW is still selling them as 2017s :eek:

Lease is up in October and I'd rather get an 18 with the better warranty. Esp since it doesn't look like i'll get as good a deal as I did on the 2015 Model.

2017's didn't show up until around September 2017, so you MIGHT be able to get a 2018 in time. Don't expect any great deals though, no different than any other just-released car.

If you are planning to lease again, the extended factory warranty won't do you any good unless your lease is for more than 3 years/36k miles.

Inventory on the 2017 models in the U.S. has been steadily dropping over the past month or so; as of right now, there are only 100 new e-Golfs listed on cars.com (last fall and the beginning of this year regularly saw nationwide inventory in the 300-make-up range). This makes me think that we are due for a model-year change soon. They already have the 2018s in Canada—at least for those orders they've been able to fulfill! I suspect few people at VW thought that the e-Golf would be as popular as it has become in some places.

2017 inventory is gone. I called VW USA and talked to three dealers: there will be no 2018 e-Golf. A 2019 e-Golf may appear next spring or summer, according to the person I spoke to at VW customer care. I hope it has a 48.8 kWh battery pack (~170 mile range). Though VW could also just kill off the e-Golf and introduce a MEB platform car instead in 2020, though I believe that would involve fines from CA per the criminal diesel agreement.

A guy from Speedcraft VW in Rhode Island posted in the e-Golf Facebook group that he just received 2018 e-Golf information. He has the ordering guide but the only thing of substance he said was that the battery was the same as the 2017. He is inquiring about availability.

He gave his e-mail address: Peter Delgado <[email protected]>

FYI, the 2018's are now coming to dealerships, mostly on the East coast right now. 15 for sale in the US according to cars.com.

Has anyone any additional information on whether VW will offer more than just a few 2018s? Especially any info on California?

egolfnorcal said:
Has anyone any additional information on whether VW will offer more than just a few 2018s? Especially any info on California?

Stock increasing (very) slowly. Sunnyvale now has 2 SEL's (now called Comfortline?), with 3 SE's on the way.

2016golfse said:
egolfnorcal said:

Stock increasing (very) slowly. Sunnyvale now has 2 SEL's (now called Comfortline?), with 3 SE's on the way.

I just claimed their remaining SEL today :). They now have 9 SEs listed on cars.com, as of a few hrs ago.

Looks like the VW dealer in Vancouver, WA is getting inventory as well, though just 2. This is very cool to see as previously WA state has not been on the list of available states for the e-Golf. I had to go across the river into Oregon to get my 2017.

Now if VW would update its website to show the 2018 and allow for inventory search...

Noob question - do you expect the dealers to be offering any incentives right away? Reading through past threads it looked like there were $4k VW incentives commonly offered, but would those be available now?

stevestrange said:
2016golfse said:
egolfnorcal said:

I just claimed their remaining SEL today :). They now have 9 SEs listed on cars.com, as of a few hrs ago.
Did you get any special discount or incentive on the SEL?

pheonix said:
stevestrange said:

Yes. $6K off MSRP. Too good to pass up. Had a Model 3 reservation, but I just really like the e-Golf, so now we have two :)

stevestrange said:
pheonix said:
stevestrange said:

Yes. $6K off MSRP. Too good to pass up. Had a Model 3 reservation, but I just really like the e-Golf, so now we have two :)

This was purchase, not lease. Deals on SEs probably not quite that big a discount. There aren't that many 2018s coming to the states, so if you want one, move fast!

That’s impressive - especially for the first delivery of a model year in short supply!

Was there a VW incentive? Or are you just a really good negotiator? ;)

OldGil said:
That’s impressive - especially for the first delivery of a model year in short supply!

Was there a VW incentive? Or are you just a really good negotiator? ;)

I'm not actually sure if it was a VW incentive. This dealership does move an awful lot of cars, and they don't have much space to store them. So I think their strategy is to move cars fast, and also to be seen by VW corporate as among the highest-volume sellers of EVs (maybe the highest? not sure.).

I recommended a friend to this dealership and the same salesperson. He's getting an e-Golf SE this week. I hope to give them my business again someday.

I'm NOT an expert negotiator, by the way!

stevestrange said:
I'm not actually sure if it was a VW incentive. This dealership does move an awful lot of cars, and they don't have much space to store them. So I think their strategy is to move cars fast, and also to be seen by VW corporate as among the highest-volume sellers of EVs (maybe the highest? not sure.).

I recommended a friend to this dealership and the same salesperson. He's getting an e-Golf SE this week. I hope to give them my business again someday.

I'm NOT an expert negotiator, by the way!
This matches my experience with them when I leased my 2015 e-Golf LE. They gave me the price I wanted and I did all my negotiating over the phone/email so that when I showed up, I could just sign some papers and be on my way. I greatly prefer this to engaging in the silly waiting/"let me take this to my manager" game. I'm done with that.

Well, I am in the market for a replacement SEL after my 2016 e-Golf got totaled a few days ago. The entire Bay Area seems to only have 3 SELs in stock and in "weird" color combinations and without DAP. I contacted two dealers multiple times and they have not even bothered to respond. Does anyone have a good sales person or dealer they can refer me to? Thanks.

egolfnorcal said:
Well, I am in the market for a replacement SEL after my 2016 e-Golf got totaled a few days ago. The entire Bay Area seems to only have 3 SELs in stock and in "weird" color combinations and without DAP. I contacted two dealers multiple times and they have not even bothered to respond. Does anyone have a good sales person or dealer they can refer me to? Thanks.

Oh dude, I hope you’re ok. That sucks.

What colour combo are you looking for? Sunnyvale VW is supposedly the best place for e=Golf, but I imagine you already started there

Back