Charging with a Honda EU2000i generator, and 1.3kw Delphi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried it? It is an expensive inverter generator. It's voltage starts out at 128.3V, so a way must be created, I suspect to drop the voltage to 120V to the Delphi 1.3kw plug so that the Delphi will work properly. 1.3kwh is about 65% of the capacity of this generator. I have the generator for recharging the battery on my travel trailer already. Or is possibly the waveform of AC current from a generator such as this a no go to the Delphi unit?

I guess what I am looking for is the Regulation Voltage for the unit.

Edit: Regulation voltage is on page 13 of the manual from Clipper creek. 85-132V, 60hz.

Since it is an inverter type generator, it's likely to work. It really depends on how fussy the on-board charger is about the waveform. Tesla is notoriously picky about the waveform, and their on-board chargers (in their cars and the RAV4 EV) work on the Honda inverter type generators. Although, people usually don't bother with 120V and do 16A-24A at 240V on the larger generators. I think the voltage will sag a little when the car is drawing power, so again, it's likely to work.

Whether it's a good idea or not considering the fuel consumption and emissions is an entirely different question.

Well, it does work, but it does take a little bit of technical rigging to "get 'er done". Since, technically, on your own generator, it's not grounded to earth, you need to tap your neutral wire to your ground wire, to get the Clipper Creek /Delphi unit to see ground and neutral, and start charging things up. I did this mod with the extension cord, on the female end I had to replace with a screw on variety

But it does work. Think I am getting 7 or 8 miles per hour at 1.3kw and 5.5 miles per kw from the generator. It's working a little, but not too hard. You do have to start charging with Eco mode off, then once up and running and charging, you can place the motor is fuel savings eco mode. I am thinking the motor will run 6 hours or a bit more, on a gallon of gas, so if I started the generator at 4 pm, and it ran out of fuel by 10 pm, while camping, I'd be good for another 40 or 50 miles to get me to a Nema 14-50 if I ran out of juice.

20151016_151304_zpsimwhs6vr.jpg

Those numbers sound optimistic. If you're getting 5.5 mi/kwh when you drive and you're charging at 1.3kw, the best you could expect is 5.5/1.3 = 4.2 mi/hr without consideration for charging inefficiencies.

mfennell said:
Those numbers sound optimistic. If you're getting 5.5 mi/kwh when you drive and you're charging at 1.3kw, the best you could expect is 5.5/1.3 = 4.2 mi/hr without consideration for charging inefficiencies.

I think your math is off. If I get 5.5 miles per kwh... and the EVSE provides 1.3 Kwh to the battery, it draws an actual 1.47kwh (122v x 12 amps) from the generator, as measured by my Kil-a-wat meter, then 1.3kwh or slightly less is being put into the battery, per hour. 1.3kwh x 5.5 miles/kwh = 1.3 x 5.5 = 7.15 miles added , per hour.

You're correct. I have no idea why I divided...

You still have to consider charging efficiency though so it won't be quite 7.

mfennell said:
You're correct. I have no idea why I divided...

You still have to consider charging efficiency though so it won't be quite 7.

True, always should account for losses.

That opens up interesting perspectives....4:45h charging for 30 miles, then maybe 30 minutes driving the 30 miles gives an average speed of 5.7 mph. You could actually drive to the East Coast that way and arrive in Jacksonville, FL after 18 days nonstop charging and driving. The good news is you can use the charging time time to nap.... :lol:

Sure the hard way but looks like you have a way to add some range in the event of a power failure.

It's been my observation that that last 20 -25 miles added during charging, tend to take longer to get there... doesn't matter if it's at 7.2 kwh on 240V, 6.2 kvh with 30 amps at 208V, or 1.3kwh at 12 amps on 110V. When you get over 85% full, things slow down on the batteries take rate.

I'd think that the Honda would run probably 7 or 8 hours on a gallon of gas... not very good efficiency or MPG with a little generator, not enough economy of scale, too many losses along the way.

Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't figure out WTF was being said and was just wondering who would post it. Moderator take note and remove please.

I had eu2000i before and upgraded to eu2200i recently, the price is the same, but it has some of the features upgraded. It gives more power, less smelly and quite as every Honda generator i know.

biggolf said:
I had eu2000i before and upgraded to eu2200i recently, the price is the same, but it has some of the features upgraded. It gives more power, less smelly and quite as every Honda generator i know.
This guy is also spamming his links across multiple EV forums.

Back