Keep EV features without full Car-Net subscription

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dungus

I bought a used egolf, and tried the trial Car-Net subscription. Quite useless, and they had 3 weeks of technical issues to even sign me up. I definitely find the core features useless, and intend to cancel it. However, the EV features such as charge scheduling are useful. I've read here that some people were expecting to be able to keep those EV features activated, and it's almost inconceivable that VW would require a monthly subscription for such a basic thing as charge timing.

Is there anything specific to say when cancelling Car-Net to get them to leave the EV stuff active? Has anybody had luck or experience with this?

I believe the EV-specific features are free for 3 years with new vehicles, but I'm not sure what the situation is for used car purchasers.

dungus said:
it's almost inconceivable that VW would require a monthly subscription for such a basic thing as charge timing.
You can also do this through the car's in-dash interface, in the e-manager. In my experience, it's 100% more reliable than trying to do anything remotely via Car-Net anyway, which I find is only good for checking the battery charge level.

The feature seems to have only been added on 2016 and later.. I saw on a 2016 that it appears in the menu when you push the Car button. On the 2015 which I have, there are no options for this. Doesn't this seem hard to believe?

Thanks for the suggestion though!

We bought a used 2015 last November. Car-Net free trial expired but all the basic EV functions still work. I was told by Car-Net they do not know how long this will last, but they did acknowledge part of the 2015 model year user interface is only availble via Car-Net.

Time will tell.

I purchased a used 2015 egolf and got 3 months for carnet, at the end of my 3 months they deleted my car account #. It now says invalid so it doesnt seem like you will be able to keep the settings.

Mine is still active after not continuing the paid service, since some function of this car (charging config) is not available without CarNet. I had read that they were going to offer a stand-alone service without the full carnet coverage, but they have not done this yet.

Mine was supposed to expire back in July but according to an email it was extended to the end of this month. I’ll find out soon enough.

I also recently bought a used 2015 egolf. How were you able to start carnet service? I tried creating an account online but am quickily asked for information I don't have. As an aside I got it inspected at a VW dealership where they told me I would be able to use EV features without a subscription. This is really frustrating because without preconditioning I worry about range and being comfortable on my daily commute (33mi one way) in the utah winter and summer. Should have found this forum earlier

Skeeple said:
I also recently bought a used 2015 egolf. How were you able to start carnet service? I tried creating an account online but am quickily asked for information I don't have. As an aside I got it inspected at a VW dealership where they told me I would be able to use EV features without a subscription. This is really frustrating because without preconditioning I worry about range and being comfortable on my daily commute (33mi one way) in the utah winter and summer. Should have found this forum earlier

I think it was a combination of me calling CarNet (I think the # is 877 820 2290) and then there was something about having my wife (who was in the car at the time) press a button and talk with the guy I was on the phone with. Start there and see how it goes.

They cut off my carnet access 1 month after my 36 months lease is over; I extended my lease for another 6 months.
My app does not work since they basically "deleted" my account.
$200/yr is too expensive for what I use it for, monitoring the charge status. I live in CA, so pre-heat the car is not a requirement, kind of nice but not for $200/yr!

I'm curious if any 2015 eGolf owners in the states can speak to this topic now that another 6 months or so has gone by? Has anyone found a way to change charging settings (delay, min/max charge, etc.) without a full car-net subscription? It seems many folks are limiting the maximum charge state to 80% to preserve battery life. I'd like to do this as well.

I poked around in OBD11 and there are a few options on my 16 and 19 that look like they might relate to the charge timer settings. I don’t have a 15 to test it on, though. Do you have OBD11/VCDS?

That's an interesting idea. I have a cheap ODBII dongle type reader which can communicate with an app on my phone. The only capability it seems to have is to read and clear codes. Can you share what type of reader you are using?

Look into a E motorwerks pro40 EVSE for doing your settings via an app, instead of using the on board programing or Car-net, for a 2015 e-Golf.

Back