Newbie preheating question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have 2018 e-Golf. I'm trying to figure out the preheating in various scenarios. I can get it working while not plugged in but I'm not sure it's working properly. I set temp in the settings to Max, but it warms up the car with only a small trickle of heated air through the front windshield vent. No air comes through main vents like I'd expect.

Is this correct behavior? It does not heat like when I'm driving the car.

Thanks

I'd give the owners manual a good reading, to figure it out. Or take it to the dealership and have them show you how it is supposed to function.

JoulesThief said:
I'd give the owners manual a good reading, to figure it out. Or take it to the dealership and have them show you how it is supposed to function.

Seems like the kind of question anyone with experience would be able to answer. I've read the manual and it doesn't say whether main vents should be active or not.

Tom2018egolf said:
JoulesThief said:

Seems like the kind of question anyone with experience would be able to answer. I've read the manual and it doesn't say whether main vents should be active or not.

Any idea, right now, how many 2018 e-Golfs have been sold, with experienced owners? It's only been for sale 2 months. SHM.

JoulesThief said:
Tom2018egolf said:
JoulesThief said:

Any idea, right now, how many 2018 e-Golfs have been sold, with experienced owners? It's only been for sale 2 months. SHM.
His sig says he's in Canada. They have been delivering 2018 e-Golfs there since February 2018. The problem is that there are not many Canadian owners on this forum.

I'd assume behavior would be the same as earlier models that come equipped with preheating. Any 2015-17 owners know if main vents come on during preheating? Or is it a slow trickle through windshield vents?

That is the way Egolf 2018 works on pre-aircondition .( or at least my 2018 experiences in Canada)
Doesn't matter how you set or want, 15 minutes before the preset time, the heat pump will work, bring the inside temperature to 22 oC. Both on summer ( cool down) or winter ( heat up).

dephan said:
That is the way Egolf 2018 works on pre-aircondition .( or at least my 2018 experiences in Canada)
Doesn't matter how you set or want, 15 minutes before the preset time, the heat pump will work, bring the inside temperature to 22 oC. Both on summer ( cool down) or winter ( heat up).

Thanks for responding! That's all I wanted to know. It's nice to know this is normal behavior.

Tom2018egolf said:
dephan said:

Thanks for responding! That's all I wanted to know. It's nice to know this is normal behavior.

You can change that default value, also, so that it remembers your last setting. do a search on hvac 72F

JoulesThief said:
Tom2018egolf said:
dephan said:

You can change that default value, also, so that it remembers your last setting. do a search on hvac 72F

The HVAC 72f thing is a 2015 specific thing.

Tom2018egolf said:
Hi, I have 2018 e-Golf. I'm trying to figure out the preheating in various scenarios. I can get it working while not plugged in but I'm not sure it's working properly. I set temp in the settings to Max, but it warms up the car with only a small trickle of heated air through the front windshield vent. No air comes through main vents like I'd expect.

Thanks

Hi Tom, how did you setup the pre-heat? My co-worker has a 2018 and being an EV nerd I've been helping her understand its features. I've read the manual but its typical german confusing. (i'm in Canada too)

SSi3 said:
Tom2018egolf said:

Thanks

Hi Tom, how did you setup the pre-heat? My co-worker has a 2018 and being an EV nerd I've been helping her understand its features. I've read the manual but its typical german confusing. (i'm in Canada too)

It's buried in the car stats menu. To be exact it's under Menu/Vehicle/e-Manager. There are three default entries, but you can add more if required. The temp, time and other settings are further buried and not necessarily obvious. Note though that only one is active, so it's a frustrating PIA when moving from local to local and having to remember that "at this place I want it on at this time, so select the third option".

I've been able to get the pre-heat working when plugged in, and it's very nice. From what I've seen from the program, the fan can be heard, even from outside the vehicle. The cabin is warm (though 22*C...?) but seat heaters don't work. The inside of the windshield is clear and given the fact the range worked out by the comp shows no significant loss compared to when I get in it cold (example: ~125km pre-heat compared to ~94km from dead cold), I'm assuming the battery warmer is working as well. (pet peeve -no feedback as to state of battery warmer, or for that matter the heated windshield).

As you've probably experienced, the car won't start when plugged in, and it has a fit if you leave with the keys. So, my question is, does anybody know if, when still plugged in, the battery warmer or windshield heat up/turn on if you go "old school", like with an ICE, and run out in your slippers and "start" the car 15mins before leaving?

I've tried it a couple of times at -15*C when the car is still plugged in, but stupidly didn't verify range before turning everything on. Will try again but it's a very frustratingly subjective result when trying to measure the warm-up state with simple range stats provided by the on-board pc.

Does anybody have experienced with this?
Jon.

Thorallophon said:
SSi3 said:
Tom2018egolf said:

Thanks

It's buried in the car stats menu. To be exact it's under Menu/Vehicle/e-Manager. There are three default entries, but you can add more if required. The temp, time and other settings are further buried and not necessarily obvious. Note though that only one is active, so it's a frustrating PIA when moving from local to local and having to remember that "at this place I want it on at this time, so select the third option".

I've been able to get the pre-heat working when plugged in, and it's very nice. From what I've seen from the program, the fan can be heard, even from outside the vehicle. The cabin is warm (though 22*C...?) but seat heaters don't work. The inside of the windshield is clear and given the fact the range worked out by the comp shows no significant loss compared to when I get in it cold (example: ~125km pre-heat compared to ~94km from dead cold), I'm assuming the battery warmer is working as well. (pet peeve -no feedback as to state of battery warmer, or for that matter the heated windshield).

As you've probably experienced, the car won't start when plugged in, and it has a fit if you leave with the keys. So, my question is, does anybody know if, when still plugged in, the battery warmer or windshield heat up/turn on if you go "old school", like with an ICE, and run out in your slippers and "start" the car 15mins before leaving?

I've tried it a couple of times at -15*C when the car is still plugged in, but stupidly didn't verify range before turning everything on. Will try again but it's a very frustratingly subjective result when trying to measure the warm-up state with simple range stats provided by the on-board pc.

Does anybody have experienced with this?
Jon.

Jon, I'm pretty sure the heating system will only run when the car is turned on and ready to drive. Since you can't turn on the car if it's plugged in, you can't do an old school warmup while plugged in - you have to do it with preconditioning on timer. I think you can do old school warmup with car unplugged though. If you haven't driven since starting up, you don't get the beeping and auto 30 second shutdown. You could technically start it up, leave and let it warm up. I wouldn't though because it heats up so fast anyway compared to ice car.

Thanks Tom2018egolf. I think you are correct. I've come to the same conclusion after several different attempts. I guess I can still do the old school warm-up by going out 30mins before leaving and turn on the timer. A little clunky, but a happy family is worth the effort.

On a side note, I ran across this post from a fellow Ottawa (Canada) driver. I don't know if this has already been posted on this forum or not, but it has good detail and has a very useful, if anecdotal, example of what to expect here in this part of the country.

http://www.eglin.net/electricalice/2018/01/07/winter-driving-in-an-e-golf/

Similar question on my "new-to-me" 2015 egolf. Since I don't have the app set-up yet (and likely won't choose to pay for it) I'm curious if there's a good way to pre heat while plugged in without the app? I tired just turning the car "on" (not "started" needle stills indicated "off") in the driveway while it was plugged in, but it seems to have affected the range still? enough I'm going to be worried driving home...

So, over the holidays I had an extremely hard time getting the pre-heat function to work, as in not at all. Since it is related, I posted the following in another thread "http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1688" as it is related to time-of-day charging; they all use the timer function.

"So I found this youTube video that does a fairly good job of explaining a lot of the functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NpXhFHwlk

It looks like it's for a 2017 SE so some of the buttons may look different, but ultimately it should work (I could swear I've done all of these steps, but I guess I will try again!). He also doesn't seem to mind charging to 100%, so take his advice with a grain of salt :)

He also says something interesting -that when charging on AC the climate control won't engage until the battery has met the set limit. I'm pretty sure that's not been my experience, but he could be right as I'm not continually monitoring the state."

Just use the Car-Net app to preheat your car. I launch the app, go to Climate and switch on the Climate icon 15 mins before I need my plugged in car. I leave the desire temp set to HI and when I get to the car it is hot and toasty. This will also work with the car unplugged and with the subscriptionexpired version of Car-Net app.

CarNet certainly makes it easier, but CarNet only works in the States, unfortunately; there is no equivalent in Canada. Let's hope VW Canada signs an agreement with Rogers/Bell/Telus/whoever for LTE support so that CarNet can work on future I.D. EV models!

currentlydriving said:
CarNet certainly makes it easier, but CarNet only works in the States, unfortunately; there is no equivalent in Canada. Let's hope VW Canada signs an agreement with Rogers/Bell/Telus/whoever for LTE support so that CarNet can work on future I.D. EV models!

That and hope that they revamp the app, 'cause let me tell ya brother, ya ain't missin much!!! Yes, the app provides basic functionality, but it really is a terrible app.

There's no app at all here in Canada. I would take a crappy app over none at all!

Preheating can only be programmed in the car e-manager.

On a side note, how long does heated windshield take to melt snow and ice? Within 5to10 minutes? I think mine is defective.

Back