End of Lease Inspection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also coming up to my lease return of my 2016 e-Golf SE. All this talk of Bolts and Leafs and Ioniqs makes me sad. If VW had bothered to keep the e-Golfs coming, I probably would have grabbed one. But I leased mine for about $7000 total over 3 years, and now they want $13k for me to buy it, NO WAY! I'd rather use those funds to lease another EV, problem is there's nothing out there that I want as much as the VW. Guess I'll hunker down and go back to driving my gas-guzzling Jeep for the next few years until VW starts sending the US more EVs. Problem is that by then, the competition will be fierce, with lots of automakers ramping up EV production. The e-Golf has whet my appetite for EVs, but it's unlikely my next one will be a VW. Sad.

nupami said:
Do they check if the scheduled maintenance has been completed or not ?

I am approaching my lease return date and 30K maintenance is due.
Nope, the inspector did not ask any question regarding maintenance! Maybe they already have the records in their database? However, I don't remember seeing anything about having the maintenance in my contract. My car was in excellent condition (maybe one tiny door ding) so it took the inspector about 10 minutes to complete the inspection.
Try to schedule your inspection as soon as you can since they are very busy.

Snoopy said:
I am also coming up to my lease return of my 2016 e-Golf SE. All this talk of Bolts and Leafs and Ioniqs makes me sad. If VW had bothered to keep the e-Golfs coming, I probably would have grabbed one. But I leased mine for about $7000 total over 3 years, and now they want $13k for me to buy it, NO WAY! I'd rather use those funds to lease another EV, problem is there's nothing out there that I want as much as the VW. Guess I'll hunker down and go back to driving my gas-guzzling Jeep for the next few years until VW starts sending the US more EVs. Problem is that by then, the competition will be fierce, with lots of automakers ramping up EV production. The e-Golf has whet my appetite for EVs, but it's unlikely my next one will be a VW. Sad.
Same here! My lease was about $7,750 for 3 years, 40k miles. The cheapest 2018 egolf quote I got is $2,999 down, $289/month (that is over $13K) so my new next EV definitely wont be an eGolf. I will most likely purchase the new Leaf.

pheonix said:
Snoopy said:
Same here! My lease was about $7,750 for 3 years, 40k miles. The cheapest 2018 egolf quote I got is $2,999 down, $289/month (that is over $13K) so my new next EV definitely wont be an eGolf. I will most likely purchase the new Leaf.

Thanks for the info. I will call and schedule the inspection ASAP.

My end of lease inspection was no big deal. I even had two different brand tires and they didn't care.

I then took the car back to the dealer and it was as if I hadn't had the inspection done. They went through the whole car, themselves.

Same... Not a big deal at all.. I had the insurance coverage too but it wasn't even needed. They dinged me for a missing emissions sticker on the hood (must have fallen off, what emissions anyway?) for $50 but no charge due to lease insurance...

When I picked up my 2019 recently, they warned me that VW hired a new company to do returns who is really trying to earn their bonuses by finding issues... I took the insurance again - just in case...

Back