Is Car Net subscription mandatory for Mobile App usage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My abbreviated (EV-specific functions only) CarNet subscription ran out today, and sure enough I have no access to it as of a few minutes ago. Fortunately, before it expired, I changed the settings to have a minimum 80% battery level, so my car will simply charge to that every time I plug in unless I hit the timer override button. I don't have a Time of Use plan so it costs me the same no matter what time I charge, though most of the time I charge overnight or first thing in the morning. I avoid charging in the afternoons (especially during the summer) to ease my burden on the local grid.

Regarding pricing, here is the official price menu from VW: https://carnet.vw.com/web/vwcwp/pricing By the month is most expensive, the longer you prepay the cheaper it gets. I wish VW would continue with an abbreviated subscription for eGolf owners/lessees for less cost, I don't need the fancy features like speed monitoring.

After three years it is a total cutoff. No app access, nothing. VW confirmed this and it did happen to me.

I think for me, the most economical subscription on a 2015 would be to set it and just fork over $17.99 for one month if the settings ever need to be changed.

bravo0123 said:
After three years it is a total cutoff. No app access, nothing. VW confirmed this and it did happen to me.

For what model year car?

I heard differently from Car Net for 2015s because Car Net is the only UI for certain EV functions which were moved into the car's infotainment systems in 2016 and beyond. I fear this is an ever changing answer depending on who you ask and on what day.

I have a 2016, and the same thing happened to me at the end of 3 years. The mobile app is useless because access is cutoff, as if my account no longer exist. Car-Net support confirmed that. $200+/year to get the car-net going, not worth it to me.
I will walk to my car to check the SOC, pretty much the only feature I use and maybe start/stop charging.

msvphoto said:
bravo0123 said:

For what model year car?

I heard differently from Car Net for 2015s because Car Net is the only UI for certain EV functions which were moved into the car's infotainment systems in 2016 and beyond. I fear this is an ever changing answer depending on who you ask and on what day.

This 2015 eGolf owner can confirm that is not the case. As I mentioned above, I lost all access on November 29, 40 months and 5 days after taking delivery.

RonDawg said:
msvphoto said:
bravo0123 said:

For what model year car?

This 2015 eGolf owner can confirm that is not the case. As I mentioned above, I lost all access on November 29, 40 months and 5 days after taking delivery.

I, for sure, no longer have Car Net for my 2015 SEL. I don't know when I lost it, but I've had it since about Oct 10th, 2015, and it was gone on 12-2-18, after being gone 4 days out of town. Vanished. I can count on about 55 minutes now of charge time at home, at 7.2kWh at 240V, per 33% of the gauge used. I usually recharge with 25 to 40% left. 2 to 2.5 hrs, at home.

Verkehr said:
I think for me, the most economical subscription on a 2015 would be to set it and just fork over $17.99 for one month if the settings ever need to be changed.

Just had to do that yesterday. PG&E changed off-peak EV rate from 11p-6a to 12a-3pm. My car is programmed to start charging at 11pm so i had to enroll in CarNet for a month so I could change it to start at 12a.

Back