egolf charging cap/e-manager

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maref

Hello all,

I bought a pre-owned egolf 2015 premium, 35000 miles odometer and have few questions if you may help. I live in Jordan (Middle East).

1- No e-manager button!!
2- How can I set charging limit? for example to charge only to 90%?
3- How shall I know that the battery is fully charged? when I plug in the charger, the car shows that it needs 5 hours for example on the dashboard. 5 hours later, the dashboard doesn't show that the charging is still going on but the charger is still blinking green.
4- How to tell that the battery is in a good health? When I fully charge the battery, it shows me that the range is 124KM which is around 85 miles. Is it good?
5- I use the Eco mode, and recuperation level 2. How much miles shall I expect per charge? considering that I don't use AC or heating or other accessories. (I don't know if this is a correct question or not). People say that the egolf is capable of 120 Miles per charge considering the self charging.

Thanks

1. Yes, there is no e-manager on the 2015 model year.
2. You need Car-Net or the VW equivalent in Jordan to set charging limits and set charging schedules.
3. You know the battery is fully charged when the little green light goes is either on constantly or turns off.
4. You need an OBD dongle and software to probe battery health. You can estimate battery health if you look on this forum for info. Essentially, fully charge the car, then drive the car to nearly empty. Divide the miles you drove by the trip efficiency to get an estimate of usable battery capacity. Eg.: 85 miles/4.5 mi/kWh=18.9 kWh usable capacity. When new, this car had about 21 kWh usable capacity, I believe. So 85 sounds decent if it's a mix of local and highway driving in moderate temps.
5. Your range depends on how you drive (fast is worse than slow), how smooth you are (quick starts and hard braking are bad, slow starts and coasting is good), the weather (able to access more available energy in warmer temps than in cold temps), and how much power you use to heat or cool the car's interior. 120 miles is possible probably possible only if you average 20-30 mph on a 20-25 C day, and fully discharge the battery. Fully discharging the battery is not recommended, though. When you see the warning to charge, you should heed the warning.

Hello f1geek,

Thanks for your reply.

All of the trips are inside the city, driving smoothly, the weather is a little bit cold (10C) and accessories are used moderately.

I don't fully discharge the battery neither fully charging it even though I don't have the e-manager and don't have other way to charge to certain limit other than noticing the required duration and not to comply with it. I just want to make sure that this is within the range considering all variables.

Regards

Back