Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2018 eGolf AC/Heater Humming Noise and Electric Windshie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:33 pm 

Thorallophon wrote:
The 2017 e-Golf is equipped with a “heat pump” as standard equipment.

Is that for US cars as well, since that info is coming from a Canadian website? Sometimes specs can differ between US and Canadian versions of the same car. I know the Leaf in Canada for example comes standard with a 6.6 kW on board charger, but the cheaper US versions without DCFC are still stuck at 3.8 kW.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 am 

Thorallophon wrote:
The 2017 e-Golf is equipped with a “heat pump” as standard equipment. The heat pump is similar to what is used to control the climate in many buildings and residences. It takes what heat is available from the drivetrain and combines it with a refrigerant circuit to heat the cabin. The result is about a 30% savings in range compared to an e-Golf without a heat pump.

Every e-Golf is also equipped with an automatic, humidity-controlled heated windshield that can defog and thaw without the aid of the AC compressor and fan, giving you a clear view that uses less battery power.

In addition, standard heated seats allow you to heat your core quickly and directly, making it possible to minimize cabin heat as much as individual comfort allows.
"

The above info is 100% correct for Canadian models. For US models, every E-Golf has the humidity-controlled heated windshield and heated seats. But for the heat pump:

2015 - 2018 SEL's models and the 2017 LE model have a heat pump.
2015 LE and 2016-2018 SE models do NOT have a heat pump.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:08 am 

RonDawg wrote:
Sometimes specs can differ between US and Canadian versions of the same car. I know the Leaf in Canada for example comes standard with a 6.6 kW on board charger, but the cheaper US versions without DCFC are still stuck at 3.8 kW.

Very correct. In Canada, every E-Golf comes with 7.2 kW on board charger and DCFC. In US, it varies as follows:

2015: All come with 7.2 kW on board and DCFC
2016: All come with 7.2 kW on board and DCFC except the SE without the DCFC package (those have 3.8 kW).
2017 and 2018: All come with 7.2 kW on board. LE and SEL have DCFC standard. SE need the DCFC package.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:27 pm 

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone. It's awesome to be part of an engaged ownership group.

So here's the latest:

Heated Windshield - the dealer confirmed that the factory forgot to include a connection that makes the heated windshield work on the passenger side. There was a proper connection for the driver side (which works), but none for the passenger side. They ordered the part, so I'm hoping that will do the trick. I'm hoping they did a proper QC on my car before it was delivered to the dealer, hopefully nothing else is missing!

AC/Heater Hum - Dealer said it's a normal noise. I did some additional research and based on the official eGolf literature, the U.S. 2018 eGolf SE doesn't have a heat pump. So that can't be causing it. The dealer recommended that we sit another new eGolf to see if we can replicate the humming. I'm going to take him up on that offer.

I'll provide another update once I pick up the car. Thanks everyone.