Unintended Acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCH

Two days ago, I took my 2016 Egolf to Oasis Senior Center. When I slowly drive the car into an open parking space, just about to shift the gear from B position to P position, the car suddenly accelerated over the center divider and hit the car parked in the other side. It was a frightened experience.

Not to attack the poster, but it's very, very common for older drivers to mistake the accelerator pedal for the brake pedal.

The description sounds like the vehicle was still rolling as the gears were changed, is that correct or did I misunderstand, and the car accelerated from a stop?

JCH said:
Two days ago, I took my 2016 Egolf to Oasis Senior Center. When I slowly drive the car into an open parking space, just about to shift the gear from B position to P position, the car suddenly accelerated over the center divider and hit the car parked in the other side. It was a frightened experience.

Don't move the shifter, ever towards Reverse or park, when rolling. Always come to a complete stop before shifting to R or P.

Operator error.

Back