Car-Net expiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just got an email that my complimentary Car-Net subscription is ending because I've had the car for 3 years.

The way I read what I lose if I don't pay them I won't be able to check charging status unless I sit in the car and check and also I will no longer be able to setup charging schedule, am I right?

I don't care about the roadside service or setting the temp before I get in the car but the charging stuff is important.

Thanks

Wannabeswede said:
So I just got an email that my complimentary Car-Net subscription is ending because I've had the car for 3 years.

The way I read what I lose if I don't pay them I won't be able to check charging status unless I sit in the car and check and also I will no longer be able to setup charging schedule, am I right?

I don't care about the roadside service or setting the temp before I get in the car but the charging stuff is important.

Thanks
Complain to VW America Customer Service. There is no other way to set the charging parameters on a 2015, so they should provide ongoing access.

miimura said:
Wannabeswede said:

Thanks
Complain to VW America Customer Service. There is no other way to set the charging parameters on a 2015, so they should provide ongoing access.

Ok, thanks for the info

Wannabeswede said:
miimura said:
Wannabeswede said:

Thanks

Ok, thanks for the info

Please report back the outcome. There have been various responses from VWoA and Car-Net about the 2015s which put some of the EV user interface on Car-Net only (such as setting the charge timer, etc.). I was told by Car-Net the basic EV functions would be renewed ongoing for the 2015s but who knows if that will really be the case.

Well my Car-Net account expired. Time will tell if the charging schedule that was in place will continue.

vwsickness said:
Well my Car-Net account expired. Time will tell if the charging schedule that was in place will continue.

You don't need a paid sub to get to the charging schedule features. Mine expired over a year ago and I still am able to use the schedule and climate control functions (from the web interface at least - don't get me started on that app!)

Not true for me. At 3 years there is a hard cutoff. No access at all, the schedules that were set are stuck forever according to VW. The car is 2015, but was purchased new a year ago, 1st owner. Doesn't matter, VW says the dealer used the car so it is 3 years. VW sucks on this one.

Talked to VW. They say too bad, no access, nothing. I can't even log in on car-net. Can't set preheat, charging schedule, charging amount. Can't check charge level. Basically it doesn't function as it should. VW says they won't do anything about it, an absolute NO.

bravo0123 said:
Not true for me. At 3 years there is a hard cutoff. No access at all, the schedules that were set are stuck forever according to VW. The car is 2015, but was purchased new a year ago, 1st owner. Doesn't matter, VW says the dealer used the car so it is 3 years. VW sucks on this one.

If the charging schedule sticks, I can live without CarNet. Would be better to be able to have 90% charge levels set for certain seasons but having the charge go to 100% isn't the end of the world either. This is the biggest shortsighted design feature of the 2015 models. I find it hard to believe they can't update the software to have charging features in the infotainment like the 2016 and later cars.

My subscription ran out on the 29th and I can also confirm that I immediately lost access to CarNet.

Yep, same here -- mine just went out two days ago. Sounds like they expired a bunch of us all at the same time. My original lease date was 10/15/2015.

Pricing is pretty crazy. $199/yr, $378/2yrs. And yeah, they won't budge on price or provide an option to give us only the charging capability. Sucks that they are trying to make this a revenue center. Tesla does this right.

Guess I got lucky. Your access through the app stopped, but just curious if you tried the web page? Sorry if that seems obvious, had to ask.

OT, but this CarNet thing reminds me of Mazda's announcement that they'd retrofit Carplay/Android auto for $199 to vehicles back to 2015(I think that's what they said). I thought, for the briefest moment, wouldn't it be nice if VW... then I remembered, VW. Sigh...

Spektre said:
Your access through the app stopped, but just curious if you tried the web page? Sorry if that seems obvious, had to ask.

Yes, I tried through the web portal. No go.

OT, but this CarNet thing reminds me of Mazda's announcement that they'd retrofit Carplay/Android auto for $199 to vehicles back to 2015(I think that's what they said). I thought, for the briefest moment, wouldn't it be nice if VW... then I remembered, VW. Sigh...

At least VW didn't do with CarNet what Nissan did with CarWings for the Leaf...they installed a 2G cellular radio. That was fine, until AT&T (the carrier they use for US models) announced they will be shutting down 2G service at the end of 2016. To make it worse, despite the announcement (which I think happened in 2014), Nissan continued to build them this way until at least through the 2015 model year, maybe even 2016's as well, knowing full well the car wouldn't be able to access the service soon.

And to top it all off, the 3G "upgrade" which is extra cost for all but the newer Leafs often was problematic according to what I've read over at MyNissanLeaf.

Can everyone call VW customer care to see if they will at least reset our cars? 800-822-8987.

My access was cut off in the last few days, as well. After logging in, my car is no longer registered to my account and I cannot add it- same is true in the app and on the web. Interestingly, I purchased mine in April of 2015, so it seems my access was extended 7 months for free? I'm also stuck with charging to 90% as well as my climate control turning on for a 5pm departure time M-F. Haven't had a chance to call VW yet but will update once I do.

Still no luck with them resetting my car. In order to fully charge (beyond the 90% max I had set when I still had access to car-net) I just press the top button in the charge port- this is a minor annoyance but not a terrible solution. But when it comes to my climate control schedule, every time I turn off the car, I need to go around the charge port and hit the top button to make sure that the timer/schedule isn't selected. It defaults to this each time I use the car so this is quite annoying. If I forget to do so, my climate control turns on at 5pm, Mon-Fri, whether or not I'm plugged in. VW Customer Care has been friendly but they have no clue how this car works- "I'm searching through the manual for your vehicle now and I don't see anything about disabling the climate control" is the response I've been getting. I'd love to get in touch with someone at VW who actually knows anything about the e-golf and the e-golf specific features in car-net.

Hetz8500 said:
Still no luck with them resetting my car. In order to fully charge (beyond the 90% max I had set when I still had access to car-net) I just press the top button in the charge port- this is a minor annoyance but not a terrible solution. But when it comes to my climate control schedule, every time I turn off the car, I need to go around the charge port and hit the top button to make sure that the timer/schedule isn't selected. It defaults to this each time I use the car so this is quite annoying. If I forget to do so, my climate control turns on at 5pm, Mon-Fri, whether or not I'm plugged in. VW Customer Care has been friendly but they have no clue how this car works- "I'm searching through the manual for your vehicle now and I don't see anything about disabling the climate control" is the response I've been getting. I'd love to get in touch with someone at VW who actually knows anything about the e-golf and the e-golf specific features in car-net.

Was just told by customer care that the only solution is to have a paid subscription to change any of these settings or "reset" them to the factory default. Lame-o.

Back