VW OEM Charging Connector Issue. Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
I am newbie on the forum
I just purchase a new 2019 eGolf SE

I only charged the car twice and this morning I noticed my car didn't charge. I set up the delayed charging according to the forum
Today I noticed an orange rubber gasket on the charging unit. I assumed this was causing the charging connector to not make a firm connection.

Has anyone else has this problem?
Does anyone know what the gasket is for?

Thanks in advance

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Your brand new car is broken and will not work. My 2015 eGolf works perfectly, and just because I'm a nice guy I'll be happy to trade cars with you.
:D

Seriously, are you just having a problem with the app, or does the car just not charge at all? Are you sure that you have power?

hounds2020 said:
Hi
I am newbie on the forum
I just purchase a new 2019 eGolf SE

I only charged the car twice and this morning I noticed my car didn't charge. I set up the delayed charging according to the forum
Today I noticed an orange rubber gasket on the charging unit. I assumed this was causing the charging connector to not make a firm connection.

Has anyone else has this problem?
Does anyone know what the gasket is for?

Thanks in advance
The gasket was supposed to be removed by the dealer. I had one too. I showed the dealer and he just threw it away.

So the orange plastic was suppose to be thrown away by the dealer? Doesn't surprise me if that was the case
The dealership didn't prep the car to well as I had large sticker on the paint that was left under my front license
I also had 4 drill holes on my front bumper.

I think the orange gasket is interfering with the connection but I try charging again
It charged the 1st time but didn't charge the 2nd time
I just thought the orange rubber was suppose to help seal out moisture.

hounds2020 said:
So the orange plastic was suppose to be thrown away by the dealer? Doesn't surprise me if that was the case
The dealership didn't prep the car to well as I had large sticker on the paint that was left under my front license
I also had 4 drill holes on my front bumper.

If they did that poor of a job prep'ing you might check to make sure they removed the shipping pucks on the springs. I have heard this is a common oversight also with some dealers.

Is this orange gasket deep inside the J1772 connector?
I have a 2016 and had experienced problem with this gasket. With connector that has crunched up gasket, I couldn't get my car to charge. Other cars could charge fine with the same charger.
I believe when the gasket is not flat, it prevents proper connection for charging and the eGolfs seemed more sensitive than other cars.

Thanks for all the replys

So how do I know if they removed the shipping pucks on the springs?
Is it pretty obvious that I can see under the car?

As far as the orange gasket yes it is in the J1772 connector
It seems as though its coming out and I tempted to just remove it since the car is not charging.
Any thoughts?

Back