Key fob battery life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1485

Hi!

How long does everyone's key fob battery last on average? I've had my e-Golf since May of 2018 and it's already starting to prompt me to replace the battery for the second time. This first time okay, who knows how long the battery was in the key fob when I got it, but needing another one so soon just seems excessive...

If you search the forums here you'll see it has been an issue for some more than others. Who knows why though...

Myself I've replaced the battery once in 2.5 years. I bought a cheap multi pack of these batteries from Amazon in anticipation of having this problem, but it really hasn't been. Thank goodness it takes literally 5 seconds to replace!

I replaced mine for the second time at 3 years of ownership. So, 18 months average so far. For me, a small price to pay for the convenience of KESSY.

I get about 14 to 16 months out of a keyfob battery for the Kessy version. Much much longer on my two other VW's, 2014 Touareg and 2015 Passat. Never changed either of them, yet.

The fob for my SE 2017, bought in Dec 2017, lasted 13 months when it just died without any warning. Luckily it takes the same exact battery as the Nikon camera remote for which I had purchased batteries weeks before. The second fob is still running strong as it seldom gets used.

I've had my e-Golf about 51 months now.

Installed the third replacement battery in it a CR-2025, this morning.

This keyfob is a real battery sucking device, compared to my other KeyFobs, which can easily go 3 to 4 years on a 2032 battery.

My keyfob battery died yesterday. So since my car rolled off the line in Sept of 2018, the battery lasted for 17 months.

I have read elsewhere that using the door sensor to lock, instead of the keyfob to lock, lengthens the lifetime. My wife locks the car exclusively by this method & she uses the car more than me, & her keyfob's original battery is still working.

Back