Carplay intermittently not connecting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my 2016 SE, I have been very happy with Carplay with my iPHone.

However, once in a while, it would not connect, e.g. after many tries, it would fail with a message that says my device may be locked. Normally, when everything works, there is no need to unlock my device to connect to carplay. It seems to happen more often when I plug in my phone right before I shift to Reverse.

After many tries, the Infotainment system will reset itself, and eventually connects without me doing anything. It seems like a firmware bug on the Infotainment system.

Does anyone know of fix?

Finish reversing, put it in drive, and then plug it in, see if it helps. It takes a while, 10 seconds or so for the system to fully boot up. Plug in after it's fully booted up, wait at least 10 seconds.

I thought others said it works best if you plug in the phone before you even start the car. I don't have a 2016, so I'm not sure.

Did you ever solve this? I’m having the same problem and it’s completely maddening.

WARNING: I may be stating the obvious!

In order to stop iPhone contents being viewed by 3rd party organizations (the government & police) Apple made a change.
The USB port only remains active for a few mins after the phone is locked. You can charge the phone after this time limit, but no data in either direction.

You unlock the phone within 5mins before connecting CarPlay and you’re good.

Barry

BarryMW said:
WARNING: I may be stating the obvious!

In order to stop iPhone contents being viewed by 3rd party organizations (the government & police) Apple made a change.
The USB port only remains active for a few mins after the phone is locked. You can charge the phone after this time limit, but no data in either direction.

You unlock the phone within 5mins before connecting CarPlay and you’re good.

Barry

This is the correct answer. If you don’t care about that feature you can disable it on the iPhone in Settings > TouchID/FaceID & Passcode > set USB Accessories switch to on.

I have encountered this issue occasionally over the past 3 years on my 2016. The VW Infotainment system would try to connect to CarPlay on the iPhone multiple times and failed. It would then reset itself. After that, it would connect. I suspect there is some software state that the Infotainment got stuck at. I usually do not have to do anything on the iPhone side to "fix" the issue.
Too bad, VW does not do OTA fixes.

Back