Ready to Buy used 2015/2016 e-Golf as first EV. Questions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think based on everything you've said, the LEAF was the right choice. I think the compromises you would have made to get the Golf would have tarnished the fun it would otherwise have brought you.

Did you get to take the LEAF home yet? Do you love driving it? :D

Spacep0d said:
RonDawg said:
From a fellow Southern Californian here who has driven his eGolf to the SCV:

Your issue is not going to be going to work, but coming back. For those not familiar with LA, Santa Clarita is on the opposite side of Newhall Pass, and the stretch of I-5 north of the pass is steeper than the south side. Once the OP reaches the top (1750 feet), it’s literally downhill the rest of the way to Hollywood (354 feet).

However, coming back is going to use a LOT of battery. When I drive to the SCV to visit friends, I generally use 50% of my battery on the way up, BUT I am coming from closer than Hollywood. I also stay in the right lane and drive slower than most, and if necessary I’ll even take side roads like The Old Road or Sierra Highway when I can.

A 24 kWH eGolf may work for you, but it would work best if you can charge at work, even at 120 volts. Hollywood has numerous L2’s and even a couple of QC stations, but as most if not all are for-pay, that will eat into any savings over not buying gas.

Another thing to consider since you mention the HOV lanes: cars whose stickers were issued before 1/1/2017 are NO longer allowed to drive solo in the carpool lanes. So unless that 2015 came from out of state (or you’re lucky enough to find one that never had stickers issued), it’s likely going to fall into that category. Some 2016 models were sold well into 2017 (VWoA didn’t release the MY 2017 eGolf until the end of summer 2017) so those might be eligible, but you won’t know without checking the CarFax to see when it was first registered in California.

Hi Ron,

Wow, this was an amazingly relevant and helpful post. I already decided to go with a different car, a 2018 Nissan Leaf with 9k miles for 20k, and it had the quick-charging option installed. It's also super clean....and from the looks of it it'll remain carpool-legal (as a solo occupant) for a while.

Yeah, I really love the Golf in all of its forms, but the range is just too low for my commute. However, I'm gonna stick with the Leaf for a while and maybe go to a modern Golf later, If I can't swing the Tesla Model 3 (which is where my heart is). :D

Thanks so much. This forum really helped me out.

Congratulations. I used to have a Leaf (as you can see from my signature) and as long as you aren't expecting anything "sporty" you'll be satisfied with the Leaf. The cargo area of the Leaf is actually larger than the eGolf's, mostly because of depth.

Which trim level did you get (S, SV, or SL)? You may want to join this forum's sister site MyNissanLeaf for further info and tips. One tip I will give you: inflate the tires to at least 40 PSI; the 36 PSI that Nissan recommends is too low and will cause premature wear on the shoulders. VW's own recommendation for the similar-weight eGolf with the similar Bridgestone Ecopia tires is IIRC 41 psi.

If you haven't done so, get the PlugShare app for your smartphone as it will help you look for charging stations. You can set it to only show J1772 (L1/L2) and CHAdeMO.

Sparklebeard said:
I think based on everything you've said, the LEAF was the right choice. I think the compromises you would have made to get the Golf would have tarnished the fun it would otherwise have brought you.

Did you get to take the LEAF home yet? Do you love driving it? :D

Hi! Yes, I love the LEAF. This specimen is so clean that it essentially feels like a new car. I love the Golfs (always will) but the 150 mile LEAF range is ideal, and I don't even have to change how I drive in faster SoCal traffic (in free-flowing conditions, anyway). It's also the color I want (white exterior, black interior) and it's the S model (no heated seats or heat pump) but it has the quick charge option with a 32a charger included (which I will probably sell). I'm working on getting a Level 2 charger installed in my garage ASAP.

Really nice to have my first EV! :)

RonDawg said:
Spacep0d said:
RonDawg said:
From a fellow Southern Californian here who has driven his eGolf to the SCV:

Your issue is not going to be going to work, but coming back. For those not familiar with LA, Santa Clarita is on the opposite side of Newhall Pass, and the stretch of I-5 north of the pass is steeper than the south side. Once the OP reaches the top (1750 feet), it’s literally downhill the rest of the way to Hollywood (354 feet).

However, coming back is going to use a LOT of battery. When I drive to the SCV to visit friends, I generally use 50% of my battery on the way up, BUT I am coming from closer than Hollywood. I also stay in the right lane and drive slower than most, and if necessary I’ll even take side roads like The Old Road or Sierra Highway when I can.

A 24 kWH eGolf may work for you, but it would work best if you can charge at work, even at 120 volts. Hollywood has numerous L2’s and even a couple of QC stations, but as most if not all are for-pay, that will eat into any savings over not buying gas.

Another thing to consider since you mention the HOV lanes: cars whose stickers were issued before 1/1/2017 are NO longer allowed to drive solo in the carpool lanes. So unless that 2015 came from out of state (or you’re lucky enough to find one that never had stickers issued), it’s likely going to fall into that category. Some 2016 models were sold well into 2017 (VWoA didn’t release the MY 2017 eGolf until the end of summer 2017) so those might be eligible, but you won’t know without checking the CarFax to see when it was first registered in California.

Hi Ron,

Wow, this was an amazingly relevant and helpful post. I already decided to go with a different car, a 2018 Nissan Leaf with 9k miles for 20k, and it had the quick-charging option installed. It's also super clean....and from the looks of it it'll remain carpool-legal (as a solo occupant) for a while.

Yeah, I really love the Golf in all of its forms, but the range is just too low for my commute. However, I'm gonna stick with the Leaf for a while and maybe go to a modern Golf later, If I can't swing the Tesla Model 3 (which is where my heart is). :D

Thanks so much. This forum really helped me out.

Congratulations. I used to have a Leaf (as you can see from my signature) and as long as you aren't expecting anything "sporty" you'll be satisfied with the Leaf. The cargo area of the Leaf is actually larger than the eGolf's, mostly because of depth.

Which trim level did you get (S, SV, or SL)? You may want to join this forum's sister site MyNissanLeaf for further info and tips. One tip I will give you: inflate the tires to at least 40 PSI; the 36 PSI that Nissan recommends is too low and will cause premature wear on the shoulders. VW's own recommendation for the similar-weight eGolf with the similar Bridgestone Ecopia tires is IIRC 41 psi.

If you haven't done so, get the PlugShare app for your smartphone as it will help you look for charging stations. You can set it to only show J1772 (L1/L2) and CHAdeMO.

Thanks! Nice to meet a former-owner of the Leaf! I have the S with the quick-charge option installed. I did already join that MyNissanLeaf forum, and great tip about the tires. I will certainly check the PSI. I use a bicycle pump for tires and it works fantastically well, and keep very tight controls on my motorcycle tire PSI (which I will do for my Leaf too).

I'm already signed up with PlugShare, EVgo, Chargepoint, etc. My new level 2 charger is a Chargepoint hard-wired, and I have a Tesla-recommended electrician already assessing the Level 2 charger installation for an accurate bid. I'm on my way! Thanks so much.

Spacep0d said:
My new level 2 charger is a Chargepoint hard-wired, and I have a Tesla-recommended electrician already assessing the Level 2 charger installation for an accurate bid. I'm on my way! Thanks so much.

Quick tip: just make sure the electrician understands this is a 32a charger, so the breaker should be 40.

The guy that installed mine had only done Teslas and either via miscommunication or laziness just assumed it was a 40a charger and installed a 50. Technically this will work, but should the ChargePoint go berserk, it runs the risk of melting and starting a fire that could take your house down with it.

If I could do it over again I might have done a 40a JuiceBox just for simplicity since I'll be selling my house next year and the new owner may have a Tesla, but then again I've been happy with the ChargePoint and 7.6 kW is more than enough to charge the e-Golf or i3 overnight.

Back