Weird Mi/KWh ratings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1485

Hi e-Golfers! Took a trip up a small mountain today, so the way back was mostly downhill. With coasting and regen I hit 99.9 on the Mi/kWh meter, which was pretty fun. Since then though (three short trips), and the meter seems a bit off. It keeps giving me readings that are way higher (2x) than normal. Has anyone else run into this before?

I've seen 99.9 mi/kWh driving down a mountain. As for the abnormally high readings after that, did you turn of the car and let it sit for several hours in between trips so the "since start" data changed? Or maybe you are looking at the "since charge" data that would be influenced by your down mountain drive? Also, if the temperature warmed up, you will most likely get better efficiency, and it could be as high as 2x depending on heat usage, speed, etc.

I have seen it as well. I live at sea level and my office is about 5-6 miles from home at 850 feet above sea level. (It is a Category 4 climb for you cyclists.) I "borrowed" the e-Golf to commute for a month while my wife recovered from surgery and the Mi/kWh readings were very low going up and crazy high coming back down. Back in the big V8 station wagon begging for rides to work now :).

As f1geek points out, it takes a while for various systems in the car to reset after shut down. Most modern car electrical systems stay awake for a period of time after turning the car off (typically 15-20 minutes) and then go to sleep to conserve the battery. In the e-Golf if I park at a store with certain things on such as seat heaters, they are still on the next time I turn the car on if I am only stop for a short time.

Stare less at the Guess-O-Meter, and more at the remaining charge left in the battery. You should know your miles per kWh on regular drives and routes, to know what your remaining range is. The Guess-O-Meter can be deceiving when going longer distances with changes in elevation from start to finish point of a "Trip" A trip "ends" after 2 hours of non use of the vehicle, and resets itself.

Back