Regarding the Discover Pro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I just sold my mk6 GTI (2012 model), and bought a used VW e-Golf SEL Premium (2016 model).
I had retrofitted my mk6 GTI with the RCD330 Headunit that had Apple Carplay, Android Auto and Mirrorlink which worked great. The e-Golf has the Discover Pro Headunit which I was very much looking forward to, based on the mostly positive reviews I’ve read about it. But I was surprised to find out that it’s very laggy even compared to the chinese made RCD330. What I noticed is when I’m on carplay and want to scroll through the apps, it’s slow to respond and the transition from one “page” of apps to the next is not smooth at all, the same goes for switching between the radio and media or scrolling through the car’s options.
I’ve watched a few reviews of the Discover Pro on Youtube and it doesn’t seem like its laggy at all.
So, I wanted to know how your experience is with the Discover Pro? Anyone experiencing this issue? Is this how it should be? If not, is there anything to be done?

I am fairly certain the Infotainment systems the 2016 SE and SELs were basically the same other than size (6" vs. 8"). I believe the Discover Pro didn't come around until the 2017/2018 models.

I do know on the 2019 models it is there for the SEL trim

I've got a 2018 SEL with the 9.25" Discover Pro and it's very responsive -- I'd even characterize it as snappy. No lag whatsoever even when using Apple CarPlay.

johnnylingo said:
I am fairly certain the Infotainment systems the 2016 SE and SELs were basically the same other than size (6" vs. 8"). I believe the Discover Pro didn't come around until the 2017/2018 models.

This is incorrect. For 2016+ all SEs come with the Composition Media system while SELs get Discover Pro.

In 2016, SE was 6.5" while the SELs was 8". Key differences between the two systems is that the latter has built in NAV, charging station info, and DVD playback.

In 2017, all screens were 8". The DVD playback capability might be deleted from the Discover Pro (it's not listed on the brochure, but still might be capable. Can someone confirm?)

In 2018/2019, the Discover Pro screen was increased to 9.25". (Again, DVD playback might be possible on Discover Pro, but it's not in the brochure.)

Back