JuiceBox Pro 75

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all those with a spare 100 amp breaker in their panel... Oh, & 3 Gauge wire just laying around.

I am seeing that Juicebox is offering a 75a.
https://emotorwerks.com/store/residential/juicebox-pro-75-smart-75-amp-evse-with-24-foot-cable

Anyone considered biting the bullet on this one for their home.

According to the Owner's manual I have:

Charging the high-voltage battery at J1772 charge stations occurs at the same charging rate (public or home wall box) of up to 7.2 kW.

(Edited)So in a kW to amps conversion of 240v single phase with a power factor of 1, I get 30 amps. Sure the extra 45 amps are technically overkill (today). However when I look at the rate of the JuiceBox Pro 40, one would be cycling in about 10 kW. The potential rate of charge the car will accept is reduced from 10 kw back down to 7.2kW. Often these Level 2 are being purchased through a grant program & are installed at hotels or at business in my area that often charge for the time connected. So yes, time is money.

EDIT: however after more reading the use of the JuiceBox Pro 75 is moot specifically for the e-Golf. The tech installed by VW will not allow for the extra power to be applied out of the unit. The potential output of the JBP75 is 18kW. You can use the unit with an e-Golf, just that the 18kW is going to by dialed back to 7.2kW.

Harkening back to my prior comment, that this would be something to consider when the new ID models arrive.

Verbruggan said:

Charging the high-voltage battery at J1772 charge stations occurs at the same charging rate (public or home wall box) of up to 7.2 kW.

So in a kW to amps conversion of 120v single phase with a power factor of 1, I get 60 amps. Sure the extra 15 amps are technically overkill (today). However when I look at the rate of the JuiceBox Pro 40, one would be cycling in about 4.8 kW. The potential rate of charge the car will accept is reduced. Often these Level 2 are being purchased through a grant program & are installed at hotels or at business in my area that often charge for the time connected. So yes, time is money.

Perhaps I’m not understanding you correctly. The JuiceBox Pro 40 charges at 240VAC, up to 40 amps. My eGolf charges at 7.2 kW with that charger.

slk23 said:
Verbruggan said:

So in a kW to amps conversion of 120v single phase with a power factor of 1, I get 60 amps. Sure the extra 15 amps are technically overkill (today). However when I look at the rate of the JuiceBox Pro 40, one would be cycling in about 4.8 kW. The potential rate of charge the car will accept is reduced. Often these Level 2 are being purchased through a grant program & are installed at hotels or at business in my area that often charge for the time connected. So yes, time is money.

Perhaps I’m not understanding you correctly. The JuiceBox Pro 40 charges at 240VAC, up to 40 amps. My eGolf charges at 7.2 kW with that charger.

Stand corrected. slk23 My error was mistakenly factoring the power source at 120 over 240AC. With that the JuiceBox Pro 40 is supplying that 40 amp stream to the car. VW has placed a limit of that flow at 7.2 kw, so ultimately that JuiceBox Pro 40 is conveniently oversize by about 10 Amp. That choice of 7.2kw by VW jives with the Bosch partnership they have made. You will see all the Bosch products (EV400, 600 & 800) are all 7.2 kW output. I am going to edit my initial numbers on the past post.

The 7.2kW charger in the e-Golf is limited to 30 amps. With residential 240V power in North America, that's about 7.2kW. However, if you plug into a public charging station, the voltage will likely be 208V nominal voltage commercial power and may droop to 200V. That means you may only get 6kW at some public stations.

Tesla used to offer 80A chargers in their cars. However, they have been gradually reducing them to 72A and now the Model 3 can only draw 48A on the higher models and 32A on the base model. For home charging, there may not be much advantage to "future proofing" with higher current circuits for EV charging. It would be much more advantageous to provide 30-32A charging for each garage space. Plug-in cars are only going to get more common as time goes by. I am very glad that I wired in a 50A circuit for each garage space when I had my house built. Remember that North American building code requires 125% circuit sizing for continuous loads like EV charging. So, 30-32A charging requires a 40A circuit and 40A charging requires a 50A circuit.

Back