Battery swaps / upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fellow eGolfers!
I'm coming from the Nissan Leaf forums, I am currently starting a garage that does service/swaps/upgrades the battery on Nissan Leaf Gen1 models. However, I have already gotten questions from eGolf owners, looking to replenish their degraded batteries. So here is my question,

Is it possible to do battery swaps on the eGolf?
Does it require coding of the VCM, same as Leaf?
Is it possible to do battery upgrades on the eGolf? (-> 35kWh)?

Cheers!

I've yet to see a single report of anyone attempting much less performing a battery swap on the e-Golf.

Given the narrow the price difference on the 2019 vs. 2015/2016 right now, it would make no financial sense to do so even if possible.

johnnylingo said:
I've yet to see a single report of anyone attempting much less performing a battery swap on the e-Golf.

Given the narrow the price difference on the 2019 vs. 2015/2016 right now, it would make no financial sense to do so even if possible.

Agreed, the price of the battery alone makes it a no brainer on an e-Golf. Not viable option, yet.

Have you seen this:
http://www.kreiselelectric.com/en/projects/electric-golf/

They have a prototype of 55,7kWh battery to replace the original 24,2kWh battery of the older model. That would be really interesting to me, because it would make the car even better than the new model with 38kWh battery.

This even has 150A fast charging, so it would turn the old e-Golf really a beast with 350-450km range and 20 minutes charge time. I would be happy to pay 10.000€ for such an upgrade.

Maybe if you have a company, you could ask if they can supply you with battery pack. According to their webpage, they are looking for partner companies.

BenCarljamin said:
Have you seen this:
http://www.kreiselelectric.com/en/projects/electric-golf/

They have a prototype of 55,7kWh battery to replace the original 24,2kWh battery of the older model. That would be really interesting to me, because it would make the car even better than the new model with 38kWh battery.

This even has 150A fast charging, so it would turn the old e-Golf really a beast with 350-450km range and 20 minutes charge time. I would be happy to pay 10.000€ for such an upgrade.

Maybe if you have a company, you could ask if they can supply you with battery pack. According to their webpage, they are looking for partner companies.
thanks a lot for your message and your interest in the products and solutions of Kreisel Electric.

Hi
I received the following message from Kreisel Electric:

I´m sorry, but our business model does not foresee that we offer standard battery packs for the e-golf. As a system solution provider we implement series applications for customer orders and to those related prototypes.

Our vehicles (for example the e-golf) are such prototypes. So we cannot offer these drivetrain solution.

We ask for your esteemed understanding and wish you a nice week!

Best regards,

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Nadine Grünberger

KREISEL Electric GmbH & Co KG

Teamassistenz

Kreisel_Logo_RGB_Schriftzug-A_400

Kreiselstraße 1, 4261 Rainbach i.M., Austria

Phone: +43 7949 / 21400

Share: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | LinkedIn | XING

VAT ID: ATU72554915

LG Linz: FN 477818 z

Web: kreiselelectric.com

Nadine Grünberger said:
As a system solution provider we implement series applications for customer orders and to those related prototypes.

system solution provider = vendor

series applications = fleet upgrades (entire product line/ every e-Golf "if")

customer orders = VW buys their services

Their prototype was to attract VW to hire them. "Here look what we can do to your product!"

dalathegreat said:
Hi fellow eGolfers!
I'm coming from the Nissan Leaf forums, I am currently starting a garage that does service/swaps/upgrades the battery on Nissan Leaf Gen1 models. However, I have already gotten questions from eGolf owners, looking to replenish their degraded batteries. So here is my question,

Is it possible to do battery swaps on the eGolf?
Does it require coding of the VCM, same as Leaf?
Is it possible to do battery upgrades on the eGolf? (-> 35kWh)?

Cheers!

Maybe a little too soon for eGolfs, but I think you have a great business idea moving forwards. I forget where I found it, but there is a video floating around showing battery removal on an eGolf. Rich Rebuilds is building a Tesla (and other EVs I imagine including one off EV hot rods) shop. This is an exciting new era of automotive creativity and tuning and getting started now is really cool.

As far as the eGolf, I say a little soon since the earliest cars sold in the US will likely have battery warranty from VW through ~2022-2023 unless driven insane amounts of miles to get past 100k miles before the 8 years is up. Where there might be opportunity, especially as cars age out of warranty, would be increasing capacity on 2015-2016 models at a semi-economical level. One way might be to figure out how to make 2017-2019 batteries work in the earlier cars and leverage getting the packs from totaled cars via Copart, etc. Ideally some innovation in how to increase capacity beyond 2017-2019 cars at a cost that customer will buy the service and you can turn a profit.

I applaud your efforts and wish you the best in this venture. Where will your shop be located?

Verbruggan said:
Nadine Grünberger said:
As a system solution provider we implement series applications for customer orders and to those related prototypes.

system solution provider = vendor

series applications = fleet upgrades (entire product line/ every e-Golf "if")

customer orders = VW buys their services

Their prototype was to attract VW to hire them. "Here look what we can do to your product!"
You're properly right, only too bad as such an upgrade to 15/16 models would have been great to prolong thier life span

Back