Thoughts on 2019 Tesla Model 3 and effect on e-Golf pricing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spektre said:
JoulesThief said:
johnnylingo said:
Been glancing at inventories for Sunnyvale, Stevens Creek, and Capitol VW this week and noticed the SEs are getting snatched up but nobody is touching the SELs. Not super surprising. Even at a sale price of $30k even, they're still a bit overpriced, unless one loves the Digital Cockpit.
All those standard "options" on an SEL are just ridiculously padded to the price. I just don't think it's worth it.

Especially when VW is talking now of their newer model having a 225 mile range and selling for $30k at the entry level price in 2020. I think I am just going to wait. I don't really care too much what my 2015 SEL is worth, I'm going to give it to my nephew, anyways, so trade in value is moot, to me.

If you're talking about the ID/Neo, you haven't been paying attention - we're not getting it in the US, at least not for a while. It's going to be the Crozz (or whatever they end up calling it) first. VW has stated this numerous times.

I believe what VW says when I see it on the dealer show floor, and not a moment sooner.

JoulesThief said:
Spektre said:
JoulesThief said:
Especially when VW is talking now of their newer model having a 225 mile range and selling for $30k at the entry level price in 2020. I think I am just going to wait. I don't really care too much what my 2015 SEL is worth, I'm going to give it to my nephew, anyways, so trade in value is moot, to me.

If you're talking about the ID/Neo, you haven't been paying attention - we're not getting it in the US, at least not for a while. It's going to be the Crozz (or whatever they end up calling it) first. VW has stated this numerous times.

I believe what VW says when I see it on the dealer show floor, and not a moment sooner.

THIS! I believe not too long ago we were led to believe there would likely be no 2019 eGolf. Yet that’s exactly what showed up at dealerships recently.

Here’s that thread: https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1408&start=0

I'm lookin' to upgrade from a 2007 Prius and get an ev for my first time!
I was originally contemplating a Tesla, but... my commute is pretty short and after adding all the good stuff, a M3 starts to cost over $40K :\.

In contrast... leasing a 2019 egolf looks to be a ton cheaper and very tempting! With an added corporate discount + PGE rebate, I can lease that car for about $7/day (!).

Some questions, though...
  • I'm not seeing any advertised lease options on the SEL Premium trim. Is that version leasable and if so, any ideas how much more expensive it is than the SE? (e.g., 20% more or...?)
  • Thoughts on the safety of the egolf? It's not gone through official testing, right? The M3 is definitely overkill for my needs, but it seems that its safety profile is pretty amazing.
  • Any very helpful *features* of the M3 that I'd be giving up on the egolf? (e.g., not acceleration or OTAs, but rather safety or self-driving features) Like "Summon," "Lane change," and so on.
Thanks in advance for your insights! I've never leased a car in my life and, in fact, my Prius is the first car I ever bought, so I'm really a newbie at this :).

First post. I am in Boston where prices are now dropping. I smelled blood and bit. Here is what I signed today for purchase:

SEL Premium (Blue/Beige)
MSRP: $39,925 (incl. first aid kit, cargo net)
Dealer Savings: -$7,425 (the area is advertising -$6,000, seems to be getting better every month)
Taxes/Fees: $2,170
Manuf Rebate: -$1,500 (published through April)
Sale Price: $33,170
Free Accessories: -$600 (rubber mats, extra 120V charger, rear bumper protective film)
State Rebate: -$1,500
Federal Tax Credit: -$7,500
Total Cost out of Pocket: $23,570

I also ran a Lease-to-Own option, and interestingly a 3-yr lease + 3-yr financing of the residual value arrives at the same cost out of pocket. So go ahead and lease the car if you want a 3-year test drive before purchasing. May even be smart to lease in March 2019 and trade-in 6 months later for brand new at a fire sale.

Those numbers do not include $2,350 I paid for an 8yr/85K mile extended warranty. I ran those numbers and the whole deal will pay for itself in 8 years relative to my 2012 Subaru Impreza ($3,500 remaining on the auto loan, 30 MPG combined, routine oil/tires/brakes, annual mechanical repairs), and that takes into account our state's archaic annual excise tax based on the vehicle's MSRP and age.

Even if my 36 kWh battery capacity plummets after 8 years (which I will avoid by charging smartly), I will be in the black. I am planning to own this car for 10 years.

My commute to work is 10 miles round trip, and we have a Toyota SUV for family outings and trips beyond metro Boston, so the limited range doesn't scare me a bit.

It's a good time to buy, and might just get better. The -$9K discounts being advertised in California are crazy good!

One thing I noticed... VW has dropped blue exterior from their factory options. Now only available in white/black/2Xgrey/silver unless you want to special order a color for +$2,500.

3m3rson said:
First post. I am in Boston where prices are now dropping.

Congrats. That's a smokin' deal, imo. I'm also in the Boston area and got a very similar deal for for a 2018 SEL late last year at Wellesley VW. They are definitely trying to move them off the lots right now for some reason.

I think you'll really enjoy driving it, btw. I love mine so far -- lots of fun to drive and got pretty decent mileage even in the coldest winter weather, though you may want to think about getting some Nokian Hakepellitta R3 low rolling resistance snow tires for next winter. Stock tires were just OK in the snow. Now that the weather is warming up, I'm regularly getting 4.5-5.5 miles per kwH.

Also, if you haven't already, you might want to check into rebates from your electric utility. Not sure who you have as a provider but our municipal light plant offered monthly discounts for charging off peak plus a $250 rebate for installing a Level 2 charging station at home.

...you might want to check into rebates from your electric utility.

Turns out that Eversource Electric is offering a $5,000 rebate this week for new purchases.... of the 2018 Nissan Leaf. They really seem to be throwing money at EV owners around here.

I've got 16" Michelin X-ICE snow tires on steelies in the garage. Going to give those a shot next winter. Wondering if there is an aerodynamic set of hub caps out there? These sure look interesting...

http://www.eurocampers.com/Black-ce...l-wheel-fits-1992--2003-VW-Eurovan_p_460.html
7D0601151.jpg

Just drove to work in my new white silver 2019 SE. MSRP of $33,575 / advertised price of $25,500 for what appears to be the universal option (Driver Assistance package) and the two profit items (cargo net and first aid kit).

I went for a test drive and got (literally) the "what can I do to get you to sign for this car tonight?" line. I said, "$24,000, I need $750 for my trade (a MKIV 1.8t wagon with 230,000 miles and a dying clutch), and three years of XM and Car-Net." The wouldn't do the subscriptions, but said okay to the price and the trade. After taxes, tag & title, the federal tax credit and the $1,750 check from the state (Pennsylvania), the car will end up costing me $15,655 plus my old Jetta. I absolutely could not pass it up at $9,575 (29%) off of list.

It seems clear to me that the $35k Model 3, the Leaf Plus, and the imminent arrival of the Kona and Nero EV's forced VW's hand. I just wonder why the decided to produce the 2019 at all. Are they just putting together cars to keep from being stuck with too many batteries?

--Chris

VW has ZEV obligations in the USA and they did the math and this is the way that they are doing it. The Audi e-Tron is delayed and not really that compelling for the price, so the e-Golf has to carry the burden, even if they have to put money on the hood.

Chris said:
three years of XM and Car-Net." The wouldn't do the subscriptions, but said okay to the price and the trade

Oh hmmm...it used to be 36 months of Car-Net were included, but perhaps that's no longer the case and I missed it. No big loss on Sirius XM - I've found if you let it expire, it's very easy to get it turned back on for $5/month.

Anyway, that's a sweet deal. At those numbers, I could trade in my 2016 for a 2019 and pay basically nothing thanks to federal, state, county, and utility rebates. While I'm tempted, the Niro, Kona, and Model 3 seem like they're worth the extra money.

miimura said:
VW has ZEV obligations in the USA and they did the math and this is the way that they are doing it.

^ This. It's the same reason prices in summer of 2016 were similarly 20% off MSRP, and even smaller dealerships like Hayward and Sunnyvale had 100+ e-Golfs on the lot.

Stevens Creek VW website now shows $9000 off MSRP for the SEL and $8100 off MSRP for the SE. Seems like you could probably push for $10k off MSRP. Anyone know if they still offer 0% financing, like I got last year?

Wow! I'm still leaning towards leasing, given my FOMO re future enhancements / advancements... but that's getting towards a pretty crazy low price!

Back