Any e-golf owners in Arizona?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spektre said:
Image7801 said:
Hello everyone - Just procured a 2017 e-Golf SEL. The vehicle (as near as I can determine) was a VW corporate car (never actually titled), and has 5,500 miles on it. I’m very excited because I really wanted an SEL (Please spare me the “SEL is a waste of money” lecture :) ), but couldn’t find one locally (until last week). I live in the North Valley and will be using it to commute to downtown Phoenix. I am getting a Level 2 charger (Siemens) installed at home this week, so I can actually start driving it to work. I’m going to hold off on participating in any heat-related discussions until I can see for myself this Summer how things progress. I am a little curious about how the A/C will affect battery life, and whether the heat pump technology improves the A/C energy use or just the heat.

Welcome to the club Image7801! I wouldn't have bought my 2015 if it hadn't been an SEL - I hate having that feeling of regret when settling for less than you wanted.

My experience has been that using the heat is much more of a drag on the battery than the AC. The last few mornings I've gone out and 'started' (LOL) the car, turned both seat heaters on full and the heat to high with the car still plugged in. It pulls ~7A @ 240V from the wall charger like that - seems like a lot of juice! The AC pulls only a fraction of that power.

When I was shopping for an EVSE, I looked at all the usual suspects and ended up with the 40A Deluxe OpenEVSE kit. I liked the style, the configurability, and the ability to repair/replace parts should anything ever fail in it.

See you on the roads!
I know what you mean about regret. Our 2015 LE was only tolerable because we knew it was going back at the end of the lease. No cruise control? Seriously? It is SO not an issue with the Model 3 we purchased.

Yesterday I charged at a Blink station in downtown Phoenix (not something I’m going to do regularly (ridiculous $$), but wanted to try it out). Range meter said 166 miles (!) when I unplugged it, but ended up only actually driving 101, with 40 still showing. Got the Siemens Versacharge installed today. Took 3 1/2 hours to fully recharge; not bad. Now showing 147 mile range. My electrician used a 50a breaker and 6 gauge wire (he says people have told him it seems to charge more efficiently with the larger wiring). Not sure that really makes any difference, but what the heck.

Really loving this car! It drives great, is solid and quiet and the stereo is awesome (having Android Auto is the best part).

Image7801 said:
Yesterday I charged at a Blink station in downtown Phoenix (not something I’m going to do regularly (ridiculous $$), but wanted to try it out). Range meter said 166 miles (!) when I unplugged it, but ended up only actually driving 101, with 40 still showing. Got the Siemens Versacharge installed today. Took 3 1/2 hours to fully recharge; not bad. Now showing 147 mile range. My electrician used a 50a breaker and 6 gauge wire (he says people have told him it seems to charge more efficiently with the larger wiring). Not sure that really makes any difference, but what the heck.

Really loving this car! It drives great, is solid and quiet and the stereo is awesome (having Android Auto is the best part).

6 ga wire is the way to go with a 50 amp circuit breaker... less resistance, less voltage drop, less heat. Good plan on your electricians part. Changes in your elevation will screw with and adjust what your guess-O-Meter says you have left for range on your battery. If you drive up hill in elevation, last part of your drive, going home, it will reduce indicated remaining range. If you drive down hill, driving in to PHX, it will show increased range per recharge.

Just bought my 2016 SE with 15k miles on it a couple days ago. Couldn't believe how cheap these things are! Hopefully that 84 mile range will work out.

I've been considering picking up a used 2017 SEL for my commute from eastern Mesa to Northern Scottsdale. My main concern is whether the air cooled battery pack is going to send it into limp mode and leave me stranded or moving slow in the summer. Anyone had any issues?

raidn said:
I've been considering picking up a used 2017 SEL for my commute from eastern Mesa to Northern Scottsdale. My main concern is whether the air cooled battery pack is going to send it into limp mode and leave me stranded or moving slow in the summer. Anyone had any issues?
You will probably not notice any difference when driving. However, if you have to DC fast charge, it is more likely you will see a reduced charging rate in hot weather. Also, in that environment, it is more likely that the battery will degrade faster than in more temperate climates. Nissan Leaf owners have definitely experienced that with their passively cooled battery packs.

raidn said:

No, never any issues from heat while driving - the car performs admirably. Coming up rapidly on 50,000 miles on it without a hiccup (other than the horrible behavior when your 12V battery fails!)

My daily commute is from North Scottsdale to South Scottsdale (almost Tempe), so about 20 miles each way.

I hope to keep my 2015 on the road for at least another two years, by which time I expect VW will have some newer models to replace it with (First choice would be the ID 'Neo', second would be the Buzz - not sure if/when either model will show up.)

I just purchased e- golf 2016 17,000 mile. so far so good..
all so I bought fast charger(level 2) from amazon. My washer and dryer are in side may garage so I don't have to do any extra work, I just using the dryer plug to charge my e-golf. But most of the time I would like to use regular charger that it takes all night, plug when I go to bed and done charged in the morning!!

sunflower said:
all so I bought fast charger(level 2) from amazon. My washer and dryer are in side may garage so I don't have to do any extra work, I just using the dryer plug to charge my e-golf. But most of the time I would like to use regular charger that it takes all night, plug when I go to bed and done charged in the morning!!

Once thing I discovered when I was researching sharing a plug between dryer and EVSE is that many of the dryer wall outlets ae NOT designed for repeated plugging and unplugging, and will wear out with repeated use and potentially become a fire hazard.

I landed on two potential ways to avoid this.

The inexpensive option would be to replace the outlet (if required) with a higher durability outlet. This would be very inexpensive and would allow you to confidently swap between dryer and car cords without risk.

The elegant but expensive way would be to purchase a Dryer Buddy (https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddys). They come in various configurations ranging from an outlet splitter requiring you to manually remember not to run both loads at once, all the way up to an auto switch which will power the car unless and until the dryer starts up, at which point it cuts power to the car until the dryer stops. This is much more expensive than replacing the outlet, but can be the most "set and forget" option short of running a dedicated copper line to the car charger.

In the end, we just settled for using a 10A 110V charger on a regular outlet in the garage rather than messing with the dryer outlet or wasting our money to upgrade electrical service in a rental property. I charge at work and my husband doesn't drive too many miles in the other e-Golf so 110V is adequate for now.

sunflower said:

Using this 240V 30A DPDT switch I did exactly what this guy did. It's been working flawlessly for years.

sunflower said:
How is your e golf doing ? I just bought 2016 e golf 17,00 mil Im in Peoria Az

It's doing excellent. Pulled into work this AM with 50,380mi on the odometer, everything just humming along. Still love driving it every morning, hitting the limiter on the 51 trying to keep up with traffic! LOL, I hope that didn't summon JT...

:roll:
Spektre said:
sunflower said:

It's doing excellent. Pulled into work this AM with 50,380mi on the odometer, everything just humming along. Still love driving it every morning, hitting the limiter on the 51 trying to keep up with traffic! LOL, I hope that didn't summon JT...

Almost to 13k miles on my 2017 (almost 8k put on since January). Commuting from N. Peoria to DTPHX each morning on the 17. Very, very happy with the vehicle. Some occasional strange hiccups with the infotainment system, but nothing that shutting the car off and restarting doesn't cure.

Anybody have an idea if the local VW dealers can work on these vehicles yet? As of January nobody could, but I am wondering if they're getting the 'techs educated to work on them (specifically Peoria VW).

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjF0E8bFmzXYhNM9XEcacd7MHrM4Kw

Just purchased a used 2016 e-Golf with 26K miles. So far, so good. I like the direct drive a lot more than (for comparison) the feel of a CVT with a gas engine.
From the CarFax it was originally from Glendale, CA, although I am in AZ (Phoenix area).
I would like to use the higher regeneration settings but I found the most extreme B setting a little much so far. I am used to stick shift cars with some engine braking.
What do people use for regeneration settings?
Also, I understand higher numeric numbers on the consumption/regeneration dial indicate more consumption, but is there a particular meaning to 2 vs. 4 vs. 8, etc.

Spektre said:
raidn said:

No, never any issues from heat while driving - the car performs admirably. Coming up rapidly on 50,000 miles on it without a hiccup (other than the horrible behavior when your 12V battery fails!)

My daily commute is from North Scottsdale to South Scottsdale (almost Tempe), so about 20 miles each way.

I hope to keep my 2015 on the road for at least another two years, by which time I expect VW will have some newer models to replace it with (First choice would be the ID 'Neo', second would be the Buzz - not sure if/when either model will show up.)

What is the "horrible behavior when the 12V battery fails?"
Just purchased a 2016.
I had a Porsche Boxster that was pretty interesting when the battery failed ...

HighMR said:
Spektre said:
raidn said:

Just purchased a 2016.

My experience with the 12V battery failure

In a nutshell, the car becomes totally inoperable without warning and bucks like a bronco - no way to pull over gracefully, no coasting, potential for whiplash... it's pretty scary, and I'm thankful it didn't happen on the highway or far from home!

Image7801 said:
Almost to 13k miles on my 2017 (almost 8k put on since January). Commuting from N. Peoria to DTPHX each morning on the 17. Very, very happy with the vehicle. Some occasional strange hiccups with the infotainment system, but nothing that shutting the car off and restarting doesn't cure.

Anybody have an idea if the local VW dealers can work on these vehicles yet? As of January nobody could, but I am wondering if they're getting the 'techs educated to work on them (specifically Peoria VW).

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjF0E8bFmzXYhNM9XEcacd7MHrM4Kw

Sorry I didn't see this sooner - at least one tech at VW North Scottsdale is trained to work on the eGolf now, not sure about any other dealers.

Spektre said:

Just purchased a 2016.

My experience with the 12V battery failure

In a nutshell, the car becomes totally inoperable without warning and bucks like a bronco - no way to pull over gracefully, no coasting, potential for whiplash... it's pretty scary, and I'm thankful it didn't happen on the highway or far from home![/quote]

Good to know. Reading along with your post and the reply, sounds like you could replace it pre-emptively, but much cheaper than the dealer if you know what to buy (not a standard battery) and know how to code for that. Or if there was a way to test its condition ...

Spektre said:
sunflower said:

any maintenance done so far ? ( change filter)

Back