Ev Home Charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nandom

I live in Canada and I have something called a Flo G5 Home charging station. The charging only happens once I lock my doors which is logical. But the last few times I've locked my doors before plugging it in and the charger wasnt starting until i "locked" the doors again even though they were already locked.

Does anyone else have this sort of problem or is this norma?

Thanks.

nandom said:
I live in Canada and I have something called a Flo G5 Home charging station. The charging only happens once I lock my doors which is logical. But the last few times I've locked my doors before plugging it in and the charger wasnt starting until i "locked" the doors again even though they were already locked.

Thanks.

Sometimes the charging habits of the car seem inscrutable. How long did you wait to see if it would start charging by itself? I find that after a minute or so the car will start charging regardless of doors locked or unlocked. I definitely don't ever have to lock for charging to commence, though I do experience charging stop when I unlock the doors (sometimes, but not always.)

That's not a feature of the 2015 model, though VW could have changed the software for later model years.

I have the same charger. Have you logged into your Flo charger with the web acct? I find that the App is limited in areas & that by logging into the Flo website, I have tuned/ customized the chargers schedule & outputs. I ask insofar that you can see on the account history of what the schedule settings were.

Also, are you using Carnet OR the scheduler in the car to specific % of charge for a specific time?

I ask, as I have the car set for the 3 different charge protocols (80, 90 & 100%) & the time of day/ days of the week scheduled according to need. Yet, on the Flo I've set the output during the day (while I am at work) for 0w til I get home from work & even then, I run the charger at 10w til Midnight. After Midnight, the Flo is schedule for 30 watt til my departure time for work +30min. Again, this is based off what I set it up at. The result of which is that "sometimes" the connector will lock/ engage. Sometimes it won't.

What year car are you plugging in?

Hi to all of you, I have an eGolf and people from http://www.charging-solutions.com has explained me there are 2 different cars, an eGolf which can charge at 3,7kw and another which can charge at 7,4kw in a 3phase installation ( only take power from 2 phases ).

Does anybody knows about it? and how can I know which is my car?

A lot of thanks for your help! :roll:

Furkill said:
Hi to all of you, I have an eGolf and people from http://www.charging-solutions.com has explained me there are 2 different cars, an eGolf which can charge at 3,7kw and another which can charge at 7,4kw in a 3phase installation ( only take power from 2 phases ).

Does anybody knows about it? and how can I know which is my car?

A lot of thanks for your help! :roll:

Not enough information.... What year is your e-Golf, and take a picture of the charging port and post it up here. Also what country are you from?

Furkill,
Here in the USA, eGolf came one of two ways...
1. J1772 connector
2. J1772 + CSS (DC Fast)

CSS was omitted from some eGolf models here in the USA.
3.7KW/H L2 charging was a limitation of vehicles such as the Chevy Volt. But I've never seen an eGolf with a 3.7KW/H L2 limited charger.
L2...?.... read on!

First off, the Charger is in the Car, the device you have at home is an EVSE, basically a safety device to connect the Car for charging.

The J1772 is used for home charging and will support the use of both a 110V or 240V EVSE.
At 110V referred to as L1 you can use the EVSE that came with the car to reach about 1.2KW/h
At 240V referred to as L2 you can use a 3rd party EVSE to reach about 7KW/H

If equipped with the CSS (DC Fast) connector, you can reach far higher KW/H levels, but the DC Fast charger is expensive to purchase, take gobs of power, and is generally found only in business locations like car dealers and grocery stores.
Again here in the USA, DC Fast chargers are also expensive to use. Most require a membership and provide KW/H's at a high price.

I looked at the website you quoted, I don't believe their comment regarding 3.7KW/H refers to a limitation of the Vehicle, I believe that is possibly a limitation of the Home and electrical Utility Company it is connected to.
Example . USA home wall socket = 115V @ 15Amps ~1725W max
UK home wall socket = 240V @ 13Amps ~3120W max

I hope this helps.

All the best

Barry

You don't need 3-phase AC to charge at 7.2 kW, you just need 30A vs 15 for 3.6. You can use a 7.2 charger on a 3.6 vehicle so I highly recommend you go with the higher power option. Better yet, just have an electrician install a 50A circuit with a 14-50 receptacle and but a unit online. Juicebox is one of the best bets though lower cost options exist.

tbier said:
You don't need 3-phase AC to charge at 7.2 kW, you just need 30A vs 15 for 3.6. You can use a 7.2 charger on a 3.6 vehicle so I highly recommend you go with the higher power option. Better yet, just have an electrician install a 50A circuit with a 14-50 receptacle and but a unit online. Juicebox is one of the best bets though lower cost options exist.
@Furkill seems to be in Europe. They don't use NEMA sockets and the charge port is 3-phase. I believe what he said is correct, that you need a 3-phase EVSE (16A * 230V * 3 = 11kW) in order for the e-Golf to pull 7.3kW from two of the three phases. That applies to 2017+ vehicles. I think the European 2015 and 2016 cars may only have 3.6kW single phase charging.

nandom said:

Thanks.

I have a similar problem, if not the same. Usually I just plug it in and it starts charging. Sometimes when I plug it in, the charging indicator will blink green--just a faint blink every couple of seconds. It is not charging, but the dash indicates that the car is plugged in (white plug icon). Pressing the top button (plug icon) next to the plug starts it charging.

tripleaardvark said:
I have a similar problem, if not the same. Usually I just plug it in and it starts charging. Sometimes when I plug it in, the charging indicator will blink green--just a faint blink every couple of seconds. It is not charging, but the dash indicates that the car is plugged in (white plug icon). Pressing the top button (plug icon) next to the plug starts it charging.

That sounds like you have a departure timer set and your battery is above the "minimum battery charge" setting, so the car is waiting for the appropriate time to begin charging up to your maximum charge level set in the departure timer.

Back