Only 26 members and lot of bmw i3s does not bode well

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

There have been only 26 members for over month. Coupled with what appears to me to be a lot of i3's in inventory and bmw starting to discount i3s tells me e-golfs are going to be slow movers. Also we seem to be going into a recession.

Maybe the strategy is to not buy right off at what I'm sure will be msrp prices and wait for some discounting

Ron

cove3 said:
There have been only 26 members for over month. Coupled with what appears to me to be a lot of i3's in inventory and bmw starting to discount i3s tells me e-golfs are going to be slow movers. Also we seem to be going into a recession.

Maybe the strategy is to not buy right off at what I'm sure will be msrp prices and wait for some heavy discounting

Ron
If you don't want to get hosed by paying MSRP if not more, then it's always a good idea to wait until the people with their tongues hanging out have gone first, and demand falls to long-term levels. I suspect the Golf will do better than the i3 when it arrives, because it's a lot less expensive and more 'normal' looking, plus being mostly a known quantity. The spike in i3 sales last month was due to much lower-priced lease deals, which shows that a lot of people don't think the propeller and kidneys on the front are worth an extra $10-15k for the same range as a LEAF or Spark. Combine that with some comparos of the i3 and Golf rating the Golf as a better car, and I think it has real possibilities.

Once the e-golf is available, or nearing available, as press releases increase, we'll see traffic and members increase - it happens that way all the time.

I think there are lots of Volkswagen fans that will be very interested in this electric vehicle.

Here's my personal take on the subject:

I started a new job a few months back where my roundtrip daily commute is 55 miles (89km); I drive a 2002 Porsche Carrera 4. Love the car, but I now have 4-month old son whom I pickup most days (the wife has the family car). The car is about to be retired for awhile.

With my daily driving and newborn son, I decided to do a 180 from a sports car and go electric. No hybrids (Chevy Spark), pure EV. I have been researching electric cars for almost a year. Test drove the Leaf and enjoyed it, but still didn't get me to make the jump to an EV...I just can't get past the looks. For me, it's not just how the car drives, the styling plays a big part as well. Saw the release of the BMW i3 and was excited. Looks futuristic on the outside and unique...then I saw the inside. It's one ugliest interiors I've seen for a modern car. The screens look like a kid hot-glued an iPad mini to the dash.

The Telsa is an amazing car, except for the price. I've never spent $80k+ for a car and never will.

Finally, I came across the e-Golf. My first impression was "wow, it looks like a normal car!" Without having to spend $80K I can finally get an electric vehicle that doesn't look ridiculous. The reduction in maintenance cost and time at the pump for the e-Golf is enough for me justify the extra $$ over a regular Golf.

I live in Las Vegas and will be driving to Los Angeles next month to pickup up an e-Golf if I can get my hands on one. I might even attempt the 250 mile trip back instead of towing it :D

VW is partnering with SunPower to provide solar panel charging stations at homes (http://media.vw.com/model/pack/92/). I've been looking into getting solar panels for my house and this just made me move forward in my decision.

In short, I believe the e-Golf will be just as successful, if not more than the Leaf. It's definitely not the best EV out there in terms of range or charging, but with it's current price point and name behind it, it appeals to a huge group of buyers; enough to make me an early adopter. I'm just hoping VW will make the e-Golf more than just a "compliance car" in the next few years.

jess300ztt said:
Here's my personal take on the subject:

I started a new job a few months back where my roundtrip daily commute is 55 miles (89km); I drive a 2002 Porsche Carrera 4. Love the car, but I now have 4-month old son whom I pickup most days (the wife has the family car). The car is about to be retired for awhile.

With my daily driving and newborn son, I decided to do a 180 from a sports car and go electric. No hybrids (Chevy Spark), pure EV. I have been researching electric cars for almost a year. Test drove the Leaf and enjoyed it, but still didn't get me to make the jump to an EV...I just can't get past the looks. For me, it's not just how the car drives, the styling plays a big part as well. Saw the release of the BMW i3 and was excited. Looks futuristic on the outside and unique...then I saw the inside. It's one ugliest interiors I've seen for a modern car. The screens look like a kid hot-glued an iPad mini to the dash.

The Telsa is an amazing car, except for the price. I've never spent $80k+ for a car and never will.

Finally, I came across the e-Golf. My first impression was "wow, it looks like a normal car!" Without having to spend $80K I can finally get an electric vehicle that doesn't look ridiculous. The reduction in maintenance cost and time at the pump for the e-Golf is enough for me justify the extra $$ over a regular Golf.

I live in Las Vegas and will be driving to Los Angeles next month to pickup up an e-Golf if I can get my hands on one. I might even attempt the 250 mile trip back instead of towing it :D

VW is partnering with SunPower to provide solar panel charging stations at homes (http://media.vw.com/model/pack/92/). I've been looking into getting solar panels for my house and this just made me move forward in my decision.

In short, I believe the e-Golf will be just as successful, if not more than the Leaf. It's definitely not the best EV out there in terms of range or charging, but with it's current price point and name behind it, it appeals to a huge group of buyers; enough to make me an early adopter. I'm just hoping VW will make the e-Golf more than just a "compliance car" in the next few years.
A couple of minor corrections/comments. I assume you meant the Chevy Volt, not the Spark in your remark about hybrids, as the Spark is a BEV. Assuming you aren't turned off by its looks, the now available Kia Soul EV is another option. At a much higher price tag, the Mercedes B-Class is also available, although it does sort of look like a low minivan.

GRA: Sorry, you are correct. I did mean to say "Chevy Volt".

I've looked into the Kia Soul and its not really my style. The Mercedes B-Class is another one that I've really considered. The thing that has been a deterrent for me is that I've read it takes around 30 hours on a 120v outlet. With my 55 mile daily drive and the B-Class' estimated 85 range, this car won't work for me if the charging really takes that long. I pretty much have to go to work and home, no extra stops. I know the 220v home adapter is an option, but at that price I might as well get the e-Golf which is quicker to charge and cheaper even with a 220v outlet installed at the house. With lower charging times, I know I can go to the in-laws house and not have to wait extra hours like the Mercedes does to get a full charge.

-----------------------------------
Please let me know if this info is incorrect. Here are the articles I was referring to: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-review

http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1091897_2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive_green_7

"Unfortunately, there's no fast-charge capability for the B-Class Electric Drive, which rules out sustained travel along so-called 'electric highways.' The ED can be charged fully in about 3.5 hours, or to 60 miles of range in less than two hours, on 240V. And if you dare charge it on 120V household AC, it takes roughly 30 hours."
------------------------------------

The thing I didn't like about the MB is it weighs 4000 lbs vs 3391 for the e-Golf. It has a huge 36kwh battery yet gets only a similar range. Also, the e-Golf is 7000 cheaper, I believe because it's built on a common Golf platform. Golf is one of the most successful selling cars with 30M sold, and was completely redesigned for 2015 to take gas, diesel, electric, or fuel cell, so the economics of volume are huge.

I'm pretty sure MB will wind up being a compliance car, while I feel the e-Golf is designed to sell and will outsell the Leaf and i3

Ron

cove3 said:
The thing I didn't like about the MB is it weighs 4000 lbs vs 3391 for the e-Golf. It has a huge 36kwh battery yet gets only a similar range. Also, the e-Golf is 7000 cheaper, I believe because it's built on a common Golf platform. Golf is one of the most successful selling cars with 30M sold, and was completely redesigned for 2015 to take gas, diesel, electric, or fuel cell, so the economics of volume are huge.

I'm pretty sure MB will wind up being a compliance car, while I feel the e-Golf is designed to sell and will outsell the Leaf and i3

Ron

The B-Class also has poor handling reviews compared to other EV's. After building one on the website, the price when adding a few upgrades is $47k-$50k...Ridiculous price for what's offered. The MB is mainly for those that stick with the brand and want nothing else. Personally I don't care who makes the EV. What I really care about it is the styling, interior, and value for functionality. Since the technology is changing so quickly, I have a hard time paying a lot for a vehicle that I'm going to swap out in a few years. Leasing the e-Golf over the MB is a much better option for me.

Right now the Nissan Leaf and e-Golf are my two top choices. If the VW wasn't coming out, I'd probably be driving a Leaf right now. The looks of the Leaf are not horrendous but not great, but given the choice between that and the e-Golf...

The e-Golf is the only ev built on a platform designed from scratch to take gas, diesel, lng, ev, and fuel cell. I think most people don't know this or else underestimate the pricing power it gives VW. They are able to kill BMW, MB and the others on price. It wasn't until VW announced e-Golf US pricing that BMW started giving some aggressive discounts

MB probably doesn't care, as they don't intend on selling many, and Leaf hopes nobody does the normalizing required to do an apples to apples comparison

Ron

jess300ztt said:
GRA: Sorry, you are correct. I did mean to say "Chevy Volt".

I've looked into the Kia Soul and its not really my style. The Mercedes B-Class is another one that I've really considered. The thing that has been a deterrent for me is that I've read it takes around 30 hours on a 120v outlet. With my 55 mile daily drive and the B-Class' estimated 85 range, this car won't work for me if the charging really takes that long. I pretty much have to go to work and home, no extra stops. I know the 220v home adapter is an option, but at that price I might as well get the e-Golf which is quicker to charge and cheaper even with a 220v outlet installed at the house. With lower charging times, I know I can go to the in-laws house and not have to wait extra hours like the Mercedes does to get a full charge.

Please let me know if this info is incorrect. Here are the articles I was referring to: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-review

http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1091897_2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive_green_7

"Unfortunately, there's no fast-charge capability for the B-Class Electric Drive, which rules out sustained travel along so-called 'electric highways.' The ED can be charged fully in about 3.5 hours, or to 60 miles of range in less than two hours, on 240V. And if you dare charge it on 120V household AC, it takes roughly 30 hours."
------------------------------------
Here's the thing. Charging at L1 (120 volts) takes a long time no matter what car you're using. - you typically get just 4 or 5 miles per hour of charging on L1, which is limited to a maximum of 12 amps (and often less on circuits which aren't in good shape), a charge rate no greater than 1.44 kilowatts. If your daily driving needs are <=40miles or so, you may be able to get away with only charging overnight on L1. But anything much over that and you won't be able to replace all of what you used the day before just charging overnight; you either need to charge during the day as well, or else use L2 (200-250 volt) charging at home or work.

The reason the B-class takes longer than an e-Golf, LEAF, Soul EV etc. to charge on L1 is simply due to it having a bigger battery pack, not because it's charging more slowly. However, owing to its lower efficiency it will use more electricity to go a given distance, meaning that you will need to charge it for longer for that distance, although how you drive the car and the conditions can have a very large effect on that. Different cars have different efficiencies at different speeds, so don't take the EPA range as gospel. But the bottom line is that any of these cars will require an L2 charger at home or work, else home and work L1 charging, to be able to do a 55 mile daily (roundtrip) commute year-round for a period of years. And only having L1 can be a real pain if you arrive home low on charge and then need to go out again soon after for a trip greater than the remaining charge, because you'll be waiting a long time at only 5 miles/hour of charge. Whichever car you get, plan on installing an L2 EVSE at home, or else use a public one during the day at work.

It's also true that the B-Class currently lacks any option for DC Quick Charging aka L3. This is irrelevant for commuting, but can be important for shorter regional trips. However, MB is a member of the SAE CCS group and may add a CCS option to the car next year, not that it will help you if you're thinking of getting one now. But there is an aftermarket company developing a CHAdeMO QC capability for both the RAV4 EV and the B-class, which will be retrofittable; the prototype was just driven from San Diego to San Jose and back on a RAV4 last weekend. It's not really a practical use of a short range BEV, but it does show that it can be done.

cove3 said:

Ron
The reason the B-class' only gets an 87 mile EPA range is because it normally only uses 28 out of the 36 kWh in the battery (it's also a considerably larger vehicle than the e-Golf/LEAF etc.). This is good for battery longevity. There's a $600 range package option that allows you to use more of the battery (depending on the source either 31.5 or 33 kWh) when necessary, and which also includes an electrically heated windshield. This should boost the range to 100-110 miles. A B-class in range mode along with a Kia Soul EV is going to be tested this coming weekend (assuming the weather cooperates) on a range course that has previously been used to test the LEAF, Spark EV, 500e, RAV4 EV, and IIRR the Fit EV, so we should have a better idea of its range under standardized freeway cruise conditions, to wit, level, minimal wind, 70 deg. F., no HVAC use and windows up, cruise control set at whatever speedometer indication gives 62 mph ground speed, etc.

jess300ztt said:
The B-Class also has poor handling reviews compared to other EV's. After building one on the website, the price when adding a few upgrades is $47k-$50k...Ridiculous price for what's offered. The MB is mainly for those that stick with the brand and want nothing else. Personally I don't care who makes the EV. What I really care about it is the styling, interior, and value for functionality. Since the technology is changing so quickly, I have a hard time paying a lot for a vehicle that I'm going to swap out in a few years. Leasing the e-Golf over the MB is a much better option for me.
There's no question that the B-class is designed to be a nice family cruiser and around town hauler, not something you'd want to take out and throw around; the Car and Driver comparison test with the i3 reflects that, so its really a question of what you want the car for: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-bmw-i3-vs-2014-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-comparison-test

Great discussion here. I saw it mentioned a few times that the eGolf will likely outsell the Leaf. I think it can certainly give the Leaf a run for its money, but VW has some serious catching up to do. The specs of the 2015 eGolf are nearly identical to those of the 2013 Leaf SL. Both are priced the same. The advantage for the Leaf (at least today) is the presence of the SV and S trims, which are decontented but cheaper. I expect VW to introduce lower trims in future years but again they are a couple of years behind Nissan.

Then there are looks. The golf is very recognizable and loved by millions. But it will be hard to distinguish from the gas/diesel versions. I would liken it to the Honda Civic hybrid which was supposed to challenge the Toyota Prius. But by the time it hit the showrooms, the look of the prius became synonymous with hybrids, and the civic never came close to catching up. Will the same fate befall the eGolf? The shape of the Leaf is polarizing, but it is already synonymous with "electric car".

Interestingly, both Nissan and VW have built their platform to fit a certain sized battery. Using today's technology, those batteries hold about 24kWh of energy. Assuming both have access to new technologies as they become available, and given that they have decided on the same volume for their batteries, I would expect both cars to offer a very similar range for any given model year.

GetOffYourGas said:
Great discussion here. I saw it mentioned a few times that the eGolf will likely outsell the Leaf. I think it can certainly give the Leaf a run for its money, but VW has some serious catching up to do. The specs of the 2015 eGolf are nearly identical to those of the 2013 Leaf SL. Both are priced the same. The advantage for the Leaf (at least today) is the presence of the SV and S trims, which are decontented but cheaper. I expect VW to introduce lower trims in future years but again they are a couple of years behind Nissan.

Then there are looks. The golf is very recognizable and loved by millions. But it will be hard to distinguish from the gas/diesel versions. I would liken it to the Honda Civic hybrid which was supposed to challenge the Toyota Prius. But by the time it hit the showrooms, the look of the prius became synonymous with hybrids, and the civic never came close to catching up. Will the same fate befall the eGolf? The shape of the Leaf is polarizing, but it is already synonymous with "electric car".

Interestingly, both Nissan and VW have built their platform to fit a certain sized battery. Using today's technology, those batteries hold about 24kWh of energy. Assuming both have access to new technologies as they become available, and given that they have decided on the same volume for their batteries, I would expect both cars to offer a very similar range for any given model year.
I think the Kia Soul EV is going to be the real competition to both, as it provides more range (I expect the e-Golf would come in around the same as the LEAF on the test below, but depending on efficiency maybe more like the Spark EV) at a good price. Not everyone's cup of tea, but with more range at an affordable price being the single most important desire for most BEV purchasers, plus the Soul's popularity as a gas car, it may well be the one to beat. Soul EV range test:

http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-range-autonomy-demonstration-nets-100-miles/

cove3 said:
It could get 300 miles, but that wouldn't change my mind that the car looks pretty homely compared to the e-golf

Ron
Looks are subjective, but if that's of primary importance to you then by all means choose whichever car that you think looks best. It's all good.

The soul faces the same challenge as the eGolf WRT looks; it looks just like its gas counterpart, ala Honda Civic Hybrid. The Soul's real advantage is that its battery is 25% larger than the eGolf/Leaf. And in certain markets, the CHAdeMO quick charge port will be more useful than the eGolf's CCS port. Around here, there are no quick chargers so neither one has an edge.

Back