Volkswagen e-Golf Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: eGolf for Long Commute?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 am 

I have what sounds like a similar commute to yours. Straight commute is 47 miles each way (downhill on the way, uphill getting home), of which about 75% is on 65mph highway. I make a lot of detours and stops (I play Pokemon Go), so I usually end up about 10-20 miles above the 94-mile minimum.

I have L2 at home and at work, and it's worked perfectly for me. Charge to 90% both at home and at work, usually get down to about 45-50% by the time I arrive. I haven't driven it in cold weather yet, which is not really an issue for you, I suppose.

All 2019 SE's that I've seen advertised have the DAP. VW just seems to be standardizing the build for efficiency's sake, and throwing in the first aid kit and cargo net in the trunk with every one as well.

For $24,000 before incentives, I couldn't pass it up.

--Chris

Post subject: Re: eGolf for Long Commute?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:23 pm 

I'm in LA and do ~90 miles highway round trip and only charge at work (though I'm working on installing a Level 2 home charger as well). Basically, I get to work and either start charging immediately or wait until a spot is open (rarely takes more than a couple hours). I usually drive in Eco mode and find that this generally gives me enough for the round trip commute + 30-40ish extra miles if I need them. I have never been particularly close to running out (lowest "miles til empty" I've seen on the dash is like 15). It's a lot less of a headache than when I drove my old GTI, when I would basically have to plan out what days of the week to stop at the Costco for gas on the way in.