Value perception

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did evaluate both cars (base Tesla Model 3 + blue exterior and e-Golf SEL Premium). We chose the e-Golf SEL.
The Tesla came to $40,123 before federal and state incentives for the Tesla and $32,948.70 for the e-Golf SEL (both OTD prices). I was assured that we would be able to get the $3,750 federal tax credit for the Tesla if we had ordered it in early June. In my case, the difference would have been about $10,500. That may be closer to $12,300 now or soon. We did not consider any difference in insurance cost.

In my mind, there are three main arguments for the Tesla:
- Longer range
- Continuous software update
- Luxury/Cool car status (this may be valued differently by different people)
These factors will lead to a higher resale value in the long run.

What spoke against the Tesla:
- Stories about lower built quality (wind noise, uneven panel gaps, low paint quality (chips & scratches) - perhaps overblown or mostly present in early production samples)
- Speculation of financial viability of Tesla (but they would probably be bought out if they were to face bankruptcy)
- Ergonomics of the cockpit

In the end, this was my wife's decision. She is the main driver. We also had a 2015 e-Golf SEL (leased). The range of the 2019 e-Golf was good enough, the driving experience was not that much better in the Tesla, and she did not like the ergonomics of the Model 3. (This was also my main concern. There is something about the tactile feel and memory of buttons. It is difficult to argue that changing the speed of the windshield wipers through the tablet while driving is ergonomic. Changing the volume of the music and the fan speed should not require you to redirect your attention from the traffic ahead of you.)
That said, if it were my car, I would have gone for the Tesla (I like shiny new toys).

In terms of value perception, I believe the resale value of the e-Golf is going to suffer more, mostly due to the shorter range. However, purely financially, the e-Golf may be a better buy. This is especially true for the e-Golf SE.

I know a few people with Model 3's and the build quality issues are not "overblown" nor are they limited to early production models. Nothing that affects the safety or driveability of the car, but when you spend that kind of money and wait weeks if not months (or years in one person's case as he put his $1000 reservation deposit on Day One) for your car, it's a bit disheartening to see misaligned doors and stuff. To Tesla's credit the issues were fixed with no hesitation.

As far as bankruptcy, note that if bought out by another company, there is no guarantee that they will continue to honor any warranty made by the pre-bankruptcy version of the company. A great example is GM; GM that makes the Bolt is legally not the same company that built the '57 Bel Air. "Old" GM is today a shell of its former self, with the worthy parts stripped off during reorganization, and has zero value. During the ignition switch debacle, it was discussed how "new" GM technically does NOT have to fix it as the problem originated under "old" GM. But, they opted to do so to prevent a further tarnishing of the company image. However, if Tesla were to go bankrupt and some Chinese or Indian firm (and that's who's going to buy it) snatches it up for pennies on the dollar, they may not be so concerned especially if they simply want the technology and not the brand itself.

I went for the e-Golf SE because I got $10.3k off MSRP and will get back $7.5k from the federal gvt (vs. $0 back on the Tesla). I got it as a practical daily commuter, so I did not care about anything fancy -- autonomous capability, cool factor, cargo net (lol), etc. If I were in the market for a more luxurious, performance-focused option, I definitely would have gone with the Model 3 instead of the SEL Premium.

For the price an Egolf out the door for $8k-12k you just cant beat it. I also bought one 4 weeks ago. With that said, if Full Self Driving arrives, and you can actually make money off a M3, its current price will seem like a bargain.

Back