2019 egolf air conditioning delay start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okaycoral

Hi everyone,

I've had the car about a month and its hot inside this black interior when its been sitting in the sun. The AC does not kick in until I've driven it a couple of minutes. I've never had a car with this problem. Why is this and what can I do to fix it? I don't care about the battery most of the time I just want to cool the car down ASAP. I had thought an electric car would cool faster than a gas car because the AC should turn right on. My Lexus hybrid is much faster to get cold air in the car than my non- hybrid cars. I thought the egolf would be better. This is also my first car with a black interior and its just as hot as I had feared.

Marie

Welcome Marie. As you've noticed, the interior of the egolf is very well sealed and part of the reason why it's so quiet. It also has a side effect of trapping warm air when parked in the sun.

1) Park in the shade if given the option.
2) Use a good sunshade for the front windshield.
3) If you park in a safe area, leave a small crack in the rear windows for ventilation.
4) Consider window tint. It doesn't need to be dark to be effective at heat rejection btw, especially if you use a good quality ceramic tint. If you don't like tint, VW sells pop in windows shades for the Golf that are easily removable.
5) You can use the carnet app to turn on the AC to help cool the interior before you get to your car. You can also setup a charge profile using carnet or the touchscreen, say weekdays from 4:30 pm to 5:00 pm with the climate control set to 72 degrees so the car will be pre-cooled before the end of a typical work day.
6) With the OBDEleven tool or Vag-Com tool, you can program your remote so that if you hold down the unlock button on the remote, it will lower all your windows. Holding the lock button will raise them. This feature is locked out for VW (versus Audi) but you can unlock it with the correct tool.

Regarding the AC performance, make sure you set Max AC and don't drive in Eco modes because it will cut your AC's performance to conserve battery power.

Regarding electric car vs. gas powered car and how it relates to AC, it doesn't in itself make any difference. All that matters is the compressor, and one is driven via electric motor and the other is via a clutch/pulley. Both can turn on instantly. However, in the gas powered vehicle luxury vehicle, the compressor is more likely designed for heavier duty, while an electric car's leans more toward the efficiency side. As a side note, the Toyota and Lexus hybrids use an electrically driven compressor - but it's still designed for higher performance in your case because the larger interior volume that must be cooled down. A Prius compressor is designed for efficiency.

I just came back from Vacaville, which is 95 degrees right now. I noticed cooler air very quickly, and that's without the Max AC on, but it does take a while to cool the entire cabin. It shouldn't take minutes for you to start feeling cool air. If that's what is happening with your car, you should have your dealer inspect it.

okaycoral said:
Hi everyone,

I've had the car about a month and its hot inside this black interior when its been sitting in the sun. The AC does not kick in until I've driven it a couple of minutes. I've never had a car with this problem. Why is this and what can I do to fix it? I don't care about the battery most of the time I just want to cool the car down ASAP. I had thought an electric car would cool faster than a gas car because the AC should turn right on. My Lexus hybrid is much faster to get cold air in the car than my non- hybrid cars. I thought the egolf would be better. This is also my first car with a black interior and its just as hot as I had feared.

Marie

That does not sound like expected behaviour. Does the AC light come on immediately? I always notice cold air blowing within a minute of starting the car. I always open up the windows to let out the hot air but the cold air always comes quickly. I got one of the VW official Golf 7 sunshades and I recommend it because they aren't break-the-bank expensive and fit the windshield perfectly, even around the forward camera. Word of advice if you do, get a glass cleaner and clean the reflective surface when you unpackaged it as it has some greasy film on it and I made a mess when I put the first one in my husband's e-Golf.

If you leave work at the same time every day like I do, use the e-manager to set a timer to bring the car down to a sane temperature by the time you leave work. By 4:30 my car is down to a delightful 21C. I highly recommend you also use a window shade to keep the direct sun out, otherwise you're just wasting power. I'm not plugged in at work but it hardly uses any battery.

This same feature is going to be used in the winter to bring the car up to a comfortable temperature before leaving home in the morning.

tripleaardvark said:
...By 4:30 my car is down to a delightful 21C. I highly recommend you also use a window shade to keep the direct sun out, otherwise you're just wasting power. I'm not plugged in at work but it hardly uses any battery.

This same feature is going to be used in the winter to bring the car up to a comfortable temperature before leaving home in the morning.
Geeze that's cold, you can still be relieved to enter car at 77F! But for that not-plugged-in scenario: I just started figuring the pre-cool trick out and by not being plugged into a EVSE you MUST check the box to allow cooling with battery. Otherwise it will be only working when it's plugged in, to conserve battery.

Back