2016 Volkswagen eGolf Apple Carplay w/ iOS13 Beta Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I just recently joined the Volkswagen family. Last month I purchased a used 2016 eGolf SE and was using Apple Carplay with my iPhone 8 Plus iOS 12 perfectly for the last month. Yesterday evening I updated my iOS 12 to the iOS 13 beta. This morning I plugged in my iPhone and the display lit up and recognized the device as an Apple iPhone and attempted to connect via CarPlay. After it finished connecting the entire screen went black - but it didn't crash the operating system it just displayed black on the screen. I was still able to exit out by logging into another part of the OS like the Radio or Settings.

I submitted an official iOS beta feedback with diagnostics from my iPhone. I think this is a software bug on the Apple side, though for all I know maybe there needs to be a software update on my Volkswagen's car radio touchscreen system. I'll keep this forum apprised of what I find.

I recommend iPhone users with a 2016 Volkswagen eGolf to not upgrade to the 13 beta anytime soon; however if there's any of you who have been able to successfully ugprade and use Carplay please let me know.

My phone doesn't support iOS 13. Thanks for checking. It could be a VW problem, too. For example, did you notice that the e-Golf displays gas stations for the destination buttons within the CarPlay Maps app? The Bolt EV showing charging stations using CarPlay Maps, so VW clearly forgot to program the e-Golf to send the correct code to the iPhone. Best of luck!

f1geek said:
My phone doesn't support iOS 13. Thanks for checking. It could be a VW problem, too. For example, did you notice that the e-Golf displays gas stations for the destination buttons within the CarPlay Maps app? The Bolt EV showing charging stations using CarPlay Maps, so VW clearly forgot to program the e-Golf to send the correct code to the iPhone. Best of luck!

Yep, it appears that the car and CarPlay don't really talk to each other, as can be evidenced by the "now playing" info in the cluster being blank during CarPlay, and the fact that the car doesn't show any navigation information in the cluster from the CarPlay maps. iOS supports it, but VW doesn't.

Also, I noticed that in the previous beta builds but it's fixed in beta 3. Go ahead and update if you're on the developer version of the beta

I've noticed that opening Apple programs like Messages or making a phone call with Phone to my voicemail can successfully trigger the Carplay GUI to show up.

As for the
that you mentioned, @Sparklebeard, is this something I can download specifically from the Apple website? I don't see individual beta downloads anywhere. I did install the newest beta as of yesterday though, so it might already be on beta 3?

pclinuxmac said:
I've noticed that opening Apple programs like Messages or making a phone call with Phone to my voicemail can successfully trigger the Carplay GUI to show up.

As for the
that you mentioned, @Sparklebeard, is this something I can download specifically from the Apple website? I don't see individual beta downloads anywhere. I did install the newest beta as of yesterday though, so it might already be on beta 3?

Check the build number in Settings>General>About. You should see 13.0 (*build number*).

Beta 1 was 17A54921
Beta 2 was 17A5508m
Beta 3 is 17A5522f

There are two beta programs, the developer program and the public program. Developers get each beta update a bit earlier than the public. If you don't yet have the update available for 17A5522f it means you're on the public program.

My advice would be to check the software update tab daily. I'm not sure what the release schedule is for the pubic release, but presumably not too much longer.

CarPlay will show a black screen using iOS 13 beta 2 if bold text is enabled in settings/display. Turn off bold text and it should work fine.

pg

Back