What does CPO mean for eGolf?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbiz

Searching around I finally found the 112 point inspection for a VW CPO vehicle:

http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/WorldAuto/VW_WorldAuto-Inspection_Checklist-1-22-13.pdf

At least 14 points have nothing to do with an EV; exhaust system, engine, and transmission obviously don't apply.

So does anyone know if there's an EV-specific checklist? Will they check and guarantee a certain battery capacity or mile range?

In VA all I can get is a CPO since VW won't sell them new here, and I want to be sure I'm getting a car that's being checked for what matters in an EV.

I know that I’m not answering your question, but it got me thinking: If you can’t buy a new eGolf in VA, then you shouldn’t expect there to be any certified eGolf techs in VA. If there are no certified techs, how is it possible to sell a certified used EGolf where all the EV components have (at least theoretically) been inspected?

When I bought out the lease on my eGolf, I submitted it for the CPO process. It does go through a checklist of inspection items (same as in your link), and they did replace the wiper blades and the two front tires. My bumper to bumper warranty was extended to 5 years/60k miles as a result of that.

They do check the electrical system but they didn't give me a report of remaining battery capacity. The CPO process does not extend the 8 year/100k battery warranty.

2016golfse said:
I know that I’m not answering your question, but it got me thinking: If you can’t buy a new eGolf in VA, then you shouldn’t expect there to be any certified eGolf techs in VA. If there are no certified techs, how is it possible to sell a certified used EGolf where all the EV components have (at least theoretically) been inspected?

There are a few dealers certified in eGolfs in areas where the car is not officially sold new. Also, the dealer could have had the car shipped to another state (like adjacent MD) where the car is officially sold, to have the certification done.

These are great points. MD is just around the beltway, so I'm going to ask if that's how they got the car certified.
The worry for me is if it's not the case that an eGolf certified tech has to do the CPO, and the CPO checklist doesn't include EV-specific items to check, what am I getting? The VW warranty is a little peace of mind, but I don't want to have problems that need fixing.

So the dealer in VA assures me the Master Foreman who CPOed the car is certified on the eGolf and that I can get service there. This is what I needed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update: I've been on a rollercoaster ride with this dealer. Here's the certification checklist they sent me for the eGolf:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uhwQObgJ2NVhbiozRagn_fvgA_LVOnbN/view?usp=sharing

I flip out because the ENTIRE section on EV cars says N/A while this is an EV car! Their explanation is that this was mis-typed, and that this is NOT an official document on what was done to the car - it's simply a confidence sheet for the customer to know what's been checked. I meet with the head of service dept and he apologizes for the misinformation and swears they'll double check everything and fully detail the car.

Do you buy this explanation?

Kbiz said:
Update: I've been on a rollercoaster ride with this dealer. Here's the certification checklist they sent me for the eGolf:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uhwQObgJ2NVhbiozRagn_fvgA_LVOnbN/view?usp=sharing

I flip out because the ENTIRE section on EV cars says N/A while this is an EV car! Their explanation is that this was mis-typed, and that this is NOT an official document on what was done to the car - it's simply a confidence sheet for the customer to know what's been checked. I meet with the head of service dept and he apologizes for the misinformation and swears they'll double check everything and fully detail the car.

Do you buy this explanation?

No, I don't.

If it were me, I'd do my own diligence, and skip the CPO version. Find what you want, look it over with a fine tooth comb, and then either make an offer or pass on it.

iMHO, it's not really anything being done for the increase in price, when you, with a little bit of common sense, can suss it out yourself. It's not rocket science.

Anyone else who has been given this checklist or one like it from a dealer? Does it show service needed and repaired or just check that everything is A OK?

Back