Range specs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcworship

Hello all,

I've searched and can't find anything. First, I recently purchased a 2016 eGolf SE; for the range of 83 miles (I believe), is this for the battery only, or with regenerative braking? I'm trying to determine what the range should be on battery only and what the battery life/capacity is (SOH). I'm going to plug in my VCDS and search around, but I also want to find out how the battery warranty works (70%). While searching through here I have discovered that the actual usable battery capacity when new is something closer to 22kWh. Anyhow, enough of my ramblings.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

The EPA range estimate is based on a standardized test that includes some amount of city driving, so yes regen braking is taken into account. Even in "D" mode, if you apply the brakes, regen braking is first used unless the battery is full (and thus can't take more charge) or unless the braking force needed is greater than regen braking can supply (such as a hard stop at relatively high speeds).

rcworship said:
Hello all,

I've searched and can't find anything. First, I recently purchased a 2016 eGolf SE; for the range of 83 miles (I believe), is this for the battery only, or with regenerative braking? I'm trying to determine what the range should be on battery only and what the battery life/capacity is (SOH). I'm going to plug in my VCDS and search around, but I also want to find out how the battery warranty works (70%). While searching through here I have discovered that the actual usable battery capacity when new is something closer to 22kWh. Anyhow, enough of my ramblings.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

I recently also bought a 2016 eGolf SE.
I don't know if you got any answers to your questions. I may benefit from what you have learned.
I was hoping for more like 90 miles (in spite of EPA range estimates), but I am only seeing 76 miles (max).
Based on the extended consumption data (which wasn't just my driving), the consumption average was 3.9 mile/kWh. At 76 miles, this equates to 19.5 kWh capacity. The stated original capacity is 24.2 kWh. Therefore, I am at 81%. Can you or anyone see any flaw in my math? Is there a buffer that is not reported in the expected range?
On the other hand, my recent driving was averaging 4.2 mile/kWh. So, perhaps the 76 miles is more based on that number, then the degradation estimate would be higher.
Also, this is a warranty-able item if you drop below 70%, correct?

HighMR said:
rcworship said:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

I recently also bought a 2016 eGolf SE.
I don't know if you got any answers to your questions. I may benefit from what you have learned.
I was hoping for more like 90 miles (in spite of EPA range estimates), but I am only seeing 76 miles (max).
Based on the extended consumption data (which wasn't just my driving), the consumption average was 3.9 mile/kWh. At 76 miles, this equates to 19.5 kWh capacity. The stated original capacity is 24.2 kWh. Therefore, I am at 81%. Can you or anyone see any flaw in my math? Is there a buffer that is not reported in the expected range?
On the other hand, my recent driving was averaging 4.2 mile/kWh. So, perhaps the 76 miles is more based on that number, then the degradation estimate would be higher.
Also, this is a warranty-able item if you drop below 70%, correct?

I search periodically for anyone reporting a warranty claim on the traction battery. To date, I’ve only found one post about replacement and it had to do with defective cells early in the life of the battery.

We don’t know how VW is going to handle these claims yet, but I’m pretty certain I’ll be filing one within a year. Is VW going to try to squirm out of their warranty somehow? What is the 70% warranty actually based on? What will the replacement battery be, new or remanufactured? No one appears to know the real answers to these questions.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that VW is having people file non-disclosure agreements as part of these degradation-based replacements... - surely someone has had to go through this already?!

Yes, there is a flaw in your math. You need to account for starting SoC and ending SoC to more accurately calculate usable capacity. There are threads on this forum that tell you how to calculate usable capacity. 24.2 kWh is the gross capacity. VW warrants the net capacity against 30% loss. Brand new, net capacity is probably ~21.5 kWh, so the pack will need to be at ~15 kWh until you get to have a serious conversation with VW. VW is a VERY conservative company, so I am guessing there won't be many people with a valid claim, but I am looking forward to hearing those stories.

f1geek said:
Yes, there is a flaw in your math. You need to account for starting SoC and ending SoC to more accurately calculate usable capacity. There are threads on this forum that tell you how to calculate usable capacity. 24.2 kWh is the gross capacity. VW warrants the net capacity against 30% loss. Brand new, net capacity is probably ~21.5 kWh, so the pack will need to be at ~15 kWh until you get to have a serious conversation with VW. VW is a VERY conservative company, so I am guessing there won't be many people with a valid claim, but I am looking forward to hearing those stories.

Thanks for your input. I will search for those threads also.

HighMR said:
f1geek said:

do you have OBD11 or VCDS? I’m collecting data at the moment to see if the battery degradation can be read from the control module, based on the comments in another thread

Sparklebeard said:
HighMR said:
f1geek said:

do you have OBD11 or VCDS? I’m collecting data at the moment to see if the battery degradation can be read from the control module, based on the comments in another thread

I don't, but do let me know if you find that it works.

Back