Charge in the rain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have any opinions about using the included 110 charger if it rains?

I'm not in a garage and right now the charger sits on the ground as I can't mount it to our rented house.

I know some of the chargers you can buy are ok to be out in the rain but what about this one?

Thanks,
Kevin

Where are you located? In USA, VW includes a Delphi branded Clipper Creek unit. That unit is outdoor rated, so you just have to make sure it's not laying in a puddle and it's best if the wall outlet has a cover. The vehicle side is no problem.

miimura said:
Where are you located? In USA, VW includes a Delphi branded Clipper Creek unit. That unit is outdoor rated, so you just have to make sure it's not laying in a puddle and it's best if the wall outlet has a cover. The vehicle side is no problem.

I'm in California and I'm pretty sure you are correct and I have the Delphi rebranded CC unit. It looks like the the CC units I see on the web.

Given the fact I'm in California I'm not too worried about rain (parched face) but our neighbor waters their plants and was worried about run off as the unit is sitting on ground underneath "Elly" (kids name for car). I'll move it up off the ground just to be safe.

Tack (Swedish for Thanks) for your answer,
Kevin

As a LEAF owner I have extensive experience charging in the rain with a portable EVSE. I carry a small block of wood to raise the 'brick' off the ground. This is useful in downpours when 'rivers' of water flow across the parking lot. I also position the 'brick' under the car to prevent soaking in heavy rains. I also place a towel in the trunk as the cord and brick can get very muddy during wet periods.

Hope this helps.

http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2012/0...m-home-cables-and-adapters-for-the-ev-driver/

img_20140610_154831198_hdr-web.jpg

JPWhite said:
As a LEAF owner I have extensive experience charging in the rain with a portable EVSE. I carry a small block of wood to raise the 'brick' off the ground. This is useful in downpours when 'rivers' of water flow across the parking lot. I also position the 'brick' under the car to prevent soaking in heavy rains. I also place a towel in the trunk as the cord and brick can get very muddy during wet periods.

Hope this helps.

http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2012/0...m-home-cables-and-adapters-for-the-ev-driver/

img_20140610_154831198_hdr-web.jpg

Tusen Tack (1000 Thanks in Swedish),
Kevin

idris said:
So, my portable charger stopped working, and I took it to the dealership and they said it was because I used it in the rain. That doesn't make much sense to me since the manual (http://www.clippercreek.com/pdf/PCS-15 User Manual 101015v06 - booklet.pdf) says it watertight enclosure.

I'll call VW of America and see what they say. Otherwise maybe I should go directly to Clipper Creek.

Clipper Creek is a well respected brand in the EV Community. You have a quality (albeit faulty) unit.

I noticed on their sales brochure http://www.clippercreek.com/uploads/ClipperCreek PCS-15.pdf that the PCS-15 is "Outdoor Rated". So it should work fine in inclement weather.

I would visit the dealer and ask to speak with a manager armed with the documentation that came supplied with the unit and ask them to fix or replace it. As you say if that bears no fruit go up the chain to VW and Clipper Creek

The A-hole streak in me would want to ask them if its OK to use the car in the rain or not. But I don't suggest you actually do that :)

Yeah, so Clipper Creek is an amazing company.. VW could learn a thing or two. I reached out to Clipper Creek and they essentially said the following:

We make the parts for the EVSE that comes with the eGolf, but Delta and VW do the assembly, so really your warranty request should go through them. The response you got from the dealership is strange, and we don't want you to be without a charge, so we'll replace the charger. Just send the old one back to us so we can take a look and tell Delta what they did wrong and why it broke.

This response pretty much blew me away, and made me think I should have gone with Clipper Creek instead of Bosch for my home charger.

idris said:
This response pretty much blew me away, and made me think I should have gone with Clipper Creek instead of Bosch for my home charger.

Wonder if they offer a trade in deal for your home charger?

I am so glad Clipper Creek took care of you, with customer service like that they deserve to be insanely successful. Good to know VW chose a quality unit and company to provide their portable EVSE's in the US.

The disappointing dealer response underlines the motivation of Elon Musk to bypass dealers entirely and handle all sales and service in-house.

If there's one thing I've learned in my six months with my e-Golf, is not to trust a word that the dealers say if it does not jibe with your understanding of the car or its parts/accessories. I've had dealers spew tons of misinformation each time I've called or gone in about my car. I don't mind if they don't know something, but I can't stand it when someone who doesn't know something insists on telling me something that is just factually untrue and won't budge (e.g. the reason departure time charging wasn't working for me was because I was trying to use the app to do it rather than doing it directly from the car. When I said U.S. spec e-Golfs don't have the ability to set delay charging directly through the car, he insisted that they do, saying that is how they charge all of their e-golfs at night. Unsurprisingly, he never admitted that he was wrong.) The folks at VW Customer Care on the other hand, have been very responsive, straight forward and generally great.

SfEvR said:
If there's one thing I've learned in my six months with my e-Golf, is not to trust a word that the dealers say if it does not jibe with your understanding of the car or its parts/accessories. I've had dealers spew tons of misinformation each time I've called or gone in about my car. I don't mind if they don't know something, but I can't stand it when someone who doesn't know something insists on telling me something that is just factually untrue and won't budge (e.g. the reason departure time charging wasn't working for me was because I was trying to use the app to do it rather than doing it directly from the car. When I said U.S. spec e-Golfs don't have the ability to set delay charging directly through the car, he insisted that they do, saying that is how they charge all of their e-golfs at night. Unsurprisingly, he never admitted that he was wrong.) The folks at VW Customer Care on the other hand, have been very responsive, straight forward and generally great.

Ditto, dealers don't know how to say "I don't know" it was the same when we bought our Prius in 2005, they were giving wildly incorrect info.

It must be ingrained in salespeople that they need to give an answer to any question on the spot. It would be so much more professional to say "I'm not sure, let me look into that for you." Of course, when they have no idea how to find the real answer, then what are they going to do?

Sorry for the late response - I put the EVSE in the motor compartment, with the charger and extension cords snaking out the front, right next to the headlights. There is plenty of room for the EVSE on the left side, forward of the 12V battery. You can rest it down below on the under-body panel, or just hang it off the big plastic bracket and let it dangle in space. Heck, you could even mount it there and store the cords under the hood, there's so much room. Protects the EVSE from the rain, and from getting stolen. BTW, anyone know what that big plastic bracket with the 3 studs sticking up is for? Clearly it's meant to hold something, but my SEL doesn't have whatever it is. Also looks like the car can take a considerably larger 12V battery. Anyone upgrade their 12V battery?

Bruno

brunom15 said:
Also looks like the car can take a considerably larger 12V battery. Anyone upgrade their 12V battery?

Why would you need a larger 12 volt battery on an EV? Its only purpose is to power things that would normally be powered by an ICEV's alternator. As it doesn't have to turn over an engine, it doesn't have to be as large, plus it's being recharged by the traction battery as needed. The 12 volt battery in my Leaf is almost as small as that of a motorcycle.

SfEvR said:

This would be insanely easy to call the dealer out on. Insist that he shows you the steps! You can easily frame the question as if you assume he is right, and you are just looking to learn something new!

RonDawg said:
brunom15 said:
Also looks like the car can take a considerably larger 12V battery. Anyone upgrade their 12V battery?

Why would you need a larger 12 volt battery on an EV? Its only purpose is to power things that would normally be powered by an ICEV's alternator. As it doesn't have to turn over an engine, it doesn't have to be as large, plus it's being recharged by the traction battery as needed. The 12 volt battery in my Leaf is almost as small as that of a motorcycle.

Exactly. I would assume that VW simply uses a larger 12V battery on the gas/diesel Golfs.

Wannabeswede said:

I'm not in a garage and right now the charger sits on the ground as I can't mount it to our rented house.

I know some of the chargers you can buy are ok to be out in the rain but what about this one?

Thanks,
Kevin

Let's hope that we have to worry about rain this winter in the Bay Area Kevin!

SfEvR said:

Well, technically, you can set delayed charging through the car. Just not the way WE want it. Hitting that plug/clock button by the charge point is a delayed charging. But, there is no scheduled time delay charging which is what we all want to work properly.

normf3 said:
Wannabeswede said:

Thanks,
Kevin

Let's hope that we have to worry about rain this winter in the Bay Area Kevin!

Yeah, I wish we all had this issue right now. I already feel bad when I wash my cars at home.

Back