Accuracy of the estimated range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smariner

How accurate is the estimated range that's displayed on the dash? Today was my second day of charging...it's showed a remaining range of 161. And btw, the car wasn't fully charged.

There is a learning curve on it.

See what your miles /kWh reading is and go off of that. Figure that you have 30 kWh of battery to work with, if you charge it full. and multiply each kWh by your miles / kWh and you'll know how much you got left, and won't have to worry about the Guess O Meter.

It's highly dependant on how you drive and adjusts on the fly.

Seems like for the 36 battery size, the EPA-estimated range is driving like it's a normal car @ 125 miles and getting ~ 3.5 Miles/kWh.

If you drive it like an electric car (conservatively), I would say that it isn't unrealistic to see ~160 miles. That's driving an average of 4.5 Miles/kWh, which looks to be what I am averaging just driving it like an electric car and going no more than 65 on the freeway with AC.

I'm just a week into the car, and my best efficiency drive was 6.2 Miles/kWh. I did the same drive the way back w/ AC and it was 5.5. So, if driving super conservatively, you could see upwards of 200.

I did a 30 mile round trip w/ 80% freeway, with 3 people + baby in the car and I got 4.5 Miles/kWh going no more than 65 on freeway w/ AC on.

Unlike my gas car I bought, I'm actually getting better "mileage" here than the EPA estimate.

My last charge was to 90-95% (don't recall), and I am estimated to get ~150 right now on that charge.

in my opinion, it is always inaccurate. I have the car less than 1000 miles. I found sometimes, I drive 1 mile, and the estimated remaining range drops 3 miles. Sometimes, I drive 3 miles, and the estimated remaining rage drops 1 miles. The most interesting thing is that, when I shut off the car when I get back home, the estimated remaining range is 90 miles. When I start the car in the next day, the estimated remaining range is 105. So it is really just an "estimation".

baozipu said:
in my opinion, it is always inaccurate. I have the car less than 1000 miles. I found sometimes, I drive 1 mile, and the estimated remaining range drops 3 miles. Sometimes, I drive 3 miles, and the estimated remaining rage drops 1 miles. The most interesting thing is that, when I shut off the car when I get back home, the estimated remaining range is 90 miles. When I start the car in the next day, the estimated remaining range is 105. So it is really just an "estimation".

There's a reason that the nickname for the range indicator in EVs is the "guess-o-meter." :)

The GOM is constantly updating based on a number of factors. My experience is that overall it gets to be pretty accurate if you do the same type of driving every day in roughly the same weather and terrain. But if there's varied terrain, weather, and driving type (highway speeds vs local roads), the GOM will be less accurate at guessing your range. I think that overall in good, warm weather and balanced mix of local roads and highway driving, you can probably bank on about 4 miles/kWh, which gives roughly 130-140 miles of range in a 2017 and up model year e-Golf — could be slightly better or worse depending on all of the above factors. I've found that the EPA estimate of 125 miles is a good year-round average number to rely on — you'll probably get more in the warmer weather and less in colder weather.

I was worried at first, but I've got to the point where I just drive it like any other car, and I don't worry about it unless I'm planning a longer trip (beyond 100 miles at once).

Back