EV Efficiency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manybees said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Our 2017 e-Golf SE is averaging 5.6 miles / kWh over almost 2,000 miles. That is 4 drivers - we almost exclusively use D all the time. Coasting whenever you can is the most efficient way to drive.

Just curious. What temperature range and terrain do you typically drive in?

We live in eastern Massachusetts.

msvphoto said:
In reading about my favorite carmaker's (Audi) media drive from Central Valley to Tahoe via Hwy 50 that happened last week the results are both impressive and disappointing. Impressive in that driven like a normal car, climate control on, at reasonably fast highway speeds climbing up the Sierras the eTron did quite well on range and fast charging in Sacramento. (...)

I don't see the logical link between economy and electric cars. If someone wants to accelerate from zero to 55mph with a light foot so that he can eak out five or six miles/kwh, more power to him. But if someone wants to blast away from the stop light and drive 70mph with occassional 80mph bursts, then so what if he gets 3.8 miles/kwh?

Remember that automobiles are fundamentally irrational: the Corvette and Mustang are about the emotion of freedom, red roadsters are about denying mortality, etc. And the thing that really sells cars is fun.

There is no reason why we should feel compelled to squeeze all the economy possible out of a car simply because it's electric.

Quite the opposite. I looked at a 600 hp Mustang GT350 the other day; it was affordable. But then I'd have to do oil changes and smog checks (hassle), stop at the dirty gas stations weekly, hear my money get converted to noise as I idle at red lights, and then get skunked by a Tesla3P in the quarter mile. The electric car might be competitive with a hybrid ICE economically, but it dominates all cars in terms of sheer fun, and performance electric cars are more fun still.
Fun is not a bad thing.

P63 said:
msvphoto said:
In reading about my favorite carmaker's (Audi) media drive from Central Valley to Tahoe via Hwy 50 that happened last week the results are both impressive and disappointing. Impressive in that driven like a normal car, climate control on, at reasonably fast highway speeds climbing up the Sierras the eTron did quite well on range and fast charging in Sacramento. (...)

I don't see the logical link between economy and electric cars. If someone wants to accelerate from zero to 55mph with a light foot so that he can eak out five or six miles/kwh, more power to him. But if someone wants to blast away from the stop light and drive 70mph with occassional 80mph bursts, then so what if he gets 3.8 miles/kwh?

Remember that automobiles are fundamentally irrational: the Corvette and Mustang are about the emotion of freedom, red roadsters are about denying mortality, etc. And the thing that really sells cars is fun.

There is no reason why we should feel compelled to squeeze all the economy possible out of a car simply because it's electric.

Quite the opposite. I looked at a 600 hp Mustang GT350 the other day; it was affordable. But then I'd have to do oil changes and smog checks (hassle), stop at the dirty gas stations weekly, hear my money get converted to noise as I idle at red lights, and then get skunked by a Tesla3P in the quarter mile. The electric car might be competitive with a hybrid ICE economically, but it dominates all cars in terms of sheer fun, and performance electric cars are more fun still.
Fun is not a bad thing.

Well said.

Electric motorcycles are fun. I just sold mine out of necessity. They can at the same time be fast and efficient. Freedom to split traffic is fun. The dust sucks. A streamlined version with gyro stabilized full stability control and V2X collision avoidance would be a blast without the danger and dust nuisance, and be very high efficiency.

GdB said:
Electric motorcycles are fun. I just sold mine out of necessity. They can at the same time be fast and efficient. Freedom to split traffic is fun. The dust sucks. A streamlined version with gyro stabilized full stability control and V2X collision avoidance would be a blast without the danger and dust nuisance, and be very high efficiency.

One day there was a three-mile-crawl traffic jam. I had a thirsty V8 mustang that would provide acceleration guaranteed to satisfy, but it was a PITA while crawling in traffic. A dozen "scooters" zipped between the lanes that day, more power to them. That night I started researching electric motorcycles.
I guess I need the machine wrapped around me instead of the other way around. But man, was I tempted by those things.

BTW, I often get the "two fingers down" from motorcyclists for making passing room on LA freeways. Yay me. :)

Back