Tire pressure loss, your experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys experience random tire pressure losses?

When I bought the car one rear tire was low at the lot.

Now, I have had the car for a week and I am losing some air. But I swear its the opposite side rear tire.

I know alluminium rims are notorious for losing small amounts of pressure overnight sometimes. So, I am curious what you guys have experienced.

I run all of mine set up, cold, at 45 psi. Its fall , soon, so they will need to be checked every 2 to 4 weeks for air pressure, as the temps drop. Yes, they loose air, whether it's the alum rims or the bead seat, I don't know, just know that they lose air pressure. One side of your car, sitting in the sun in the morning, will have higher air pressure than the side in the shade. Fact, I've measured it, numerous times.

Checked tire pressure day after delivery; all found at almost 50 psi. Lowered all four to the value on the sticker (41 psi). Will be checking occasionally (particularity with the colder weather and such) but do not anticipate anything out of the ordinary. My GTI with 18" alloy wheels is not loosing any air (as far as I can see and measure) so I am not really sure where the fear of "artificial" loss is coming from.

Szyszka said:
Checked tire pressure day after delivery; all found at almost 50 psi. Lowered all four to the value on the sticker (41 psi). Will be checking occasionally (particularity with the colder weather and such) but do not anticipate anything out of the ordinary. My GTI with 18" alloy wheels is not loosing any air (as far as I can see and measure) so I am not really sure where the fear of "artificial" loss is coming from.

Its not fear lol, its fact. Ive had multiple cars with alluminium wheels and they've all lost air. You can minimize it by cleaning the bead contact point, in fact good tire shops scrap the contact point with a wire brush when changing tires.

Just trying to see how much you guys are losing.

Its been a week since I set them all at 41psi, and recalibrated the system with the infotainment system, and one has lost 10psi. So I think its beyond the normal.

The dealership I bought it from, said if the issue persists, that they will replace whatever is needed because its a safety issue. But beyond safety, the mileage is key with these cars and tire psi directly affects that.

JoulesThief said:
I run all of mine set up, cold, at 45 psi. Its fall , soon, so they will need to be checked every 2 to 4 weeks for air pressure, as the temps drop. Yes, they loose air, whether it's the alum rims or the bead seat, I don't know, just know that they lose air pressure. One side of your car, sitting in the sun in the morning, will have higher air pressure than the side in the shade. Fact, I've measured it, numerous times.

This is exactly what I know of alluminium rims, and what I was wondering. Exactly what my previous cars have done. Thank you jt

I would like to just take the wheel in to the dealer, because its 30miles and I also dont want to lose the car for days/or have to ask someone for rides there/back.

Does this rim/cover require a special tool? I noticed its got funny lugs

My car only came with the fixaflat bs

Ihopethisworks said:
Its been a week since I set them all at 41psi, and recalibrated the system with the infotainment system, and one has lost 10psi. So I think its beyond the normal.

Loosing 10 PSI within one week is certainly NOT normal and you should have it checked out. Good to hear your dealer is offering to help.

To remove the lug nuts you need to first remove the black plastic cover plugs. There should be a little wire tool for completing just this task in your 'spare tire kit pouch'. My model also came in with one lockable lug nut so there should also be a 'key' in the same pouch to allow you to remove one special lug nut. Make sure you don't loose it. Hope this helps!

Szyszka said:
Ihopethisworks said:

Loosing 10 PSI within one week is certainly NOT normal and you should have it checked out. Good to hear your dealer is offering to help.

To remove the lug nuts you need to first remove the black plastic cover plugs. There should be a little wire tool for completing just this task in your 'spare tire kit pouch'. My model also came in with one lockable lug nut so there should also be a 'key' in the same pouch to allow you to remove one special lug nut. Make sure you don't loose it. Hope this helps!

Cool thanks, will check when at the car is back home

Szyszka said:

I've had the exact opposite experience, my 18" Alloy's on my GTI are routinely losing air. Every 3 months or so the tire monitor goes off and one of my tires has lost 8-10psi in air pressure. I have no idea what's causing it, but it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I haven't had the same experience with my e-golf yet though...

drivers side rear has had a slow leak since we got the car in April Never too much to take the time for a special trip to a shop. I own a compressor & refill it about every 3 weeks the 10PSI it tends to lose.

Next week we are already at our 10K service. We're at 7K, but it is 6 months in. They want to see it. Going to have them check the tyre. Will report afterwards what they found.

Good luck. It sounds to me like you have a small nail or screw in the tire that is causing a very slow leak. I hope it is a cheap repair.

I have had aluminum wheels since 1978 on eight different cars. My observations:

1. There is nothing about aluminum per-se that causes air to leak.
2. I have never had a tire leak something as huge as 10 psi overnight and then seal the air properly for a couple days EXCEPT for the one time I had a weird nail puncture that would deflate the tire if you parked and the nail was within 5 degrees of the contact patch on either side. LOL, I parked, got out, and heard hissing, so I drove home, parked, no hissing. I took the wheel off, inspected, and found the nail.
3. Not all tire shops are equal. I think Costco removes all the old adhesive. Other tire shops, maybe not. I had a set of four tires installed and all four were losing significant air. I contacted the shop, and they told me it was due to all the adhesive buildup, and that "reconditioning the wheels" would cost $100 per wheel. I declined that generous offer and suggested that they remount the wheels so that they can hold air. They did.
4. My 75 and 85 VWs never leaked air. I was always too busy to check my Merkur. The Volvo and Honda both kept air. The three sets of aluminum wheels I had on my cobras all held air just fine. (This is not to argue, but solely to provide more data points for the discussion.)

JoulesThief said:

Is there a reason you inflate your tires at 45 psi? Per full load (e.g. 5 passengers = extra 1000 lbs.) it should not exceed 41 psi, which is already high.
How do you guys get any traction with such inflation? Eco tires are built on super stiff carcass. I spin out at 37 psi on wet tarmac.

mpulsiv said:
JoulesThief said:

Is there a reason you inflate your tires at 45 psi? Per Bridgestone, max inflation is 44 psi and that's with full load (e.g. 5 passengers = extra 1000 lbs.) Catastrophic failures occur at max inflation.
How do you guys get any traction with such inflation? Eco tires are built on super stiff carcass. I spin out at 37 psi on wet tarmac.

Back