Chargepoint plug too big

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all very strange. Here are the pics of the J1772 plug that came with the charging cord, charging port on my e-Golf and the J1772 plug that is on my SemaConnect charging station at work. Goes without saying that I have no trouble charging the car with either setup...

FINALLY RESOLVED: Car was at the dealer for a week and they replaced several parts having to do with the charge port (8 total parts in total) actuator, lock, other parts I can't remember off the top. Still didn't resolve. I told them AGAIN, look at that ring on the inside of the charge port. It's loose and appears to be interfering with inserting the plug fully.

Put me back in the rental car and told, "we'll call VW and get it figured out". Later in the day they tell me its fixed and they ended up removing that plastic ring in the port. They proceed to tell me some BS that its an "aftermarket" piece that probably came off your charging plug when you tried plugging it in. Whatever bro. I've never seen this in any j plug I've used. The colored rubber washer/spacer thing yes, this plastic ring no.

It looks like a spacer that fits around the charge port receptacle that in theory would help a plug fit more snug into the port. Problem is if it becomes unseated, it will cause blockage.

Either way, I can now charge with my level 2 home charger and that's all I cared about.

Back