CarNet issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am able to download the latest iOS app. I don't think it is faster than before. The SOC screen looks like an after-thought, and the chart and estimate time until full were wrong. I had 37 miles left and SOC showed 75% full; I need 4+ hrs to fully charge and the status showed "0m until full".
As indicated by another member, VW is not aware that software needs testing before giving it to the end users! :oops:

If an App redirects or opens a web browser, then it is not an App. Everything I see indicates that VW has failed those who shell out $$$ yearly. I would suggest drivers call their Attorney General Office. They would be more than interested to hear from you. Not like they haven't had issues with VW before...

If VW thinks they can challenge Tesla on smart cars (and I think their ID.3 looks like a really good EV) with the pitiful software app/service, called CarNet, they may as well go back to manufacturing diesel cars.

TwoCarsAWeek said:
If VW thinks they can challenge Tesla on smart cars (and I think their ID.3 looks like a really good EV) with the pitiful software app/service, called CarNet, they may as well go back to manufacturing diesel cars.

VW doesn't manufacture software or computers, they manufacture cars, cheap cars. You are completely unrealistic to expect a used VW e-Golf to compare feature wise to a Tesla. The valuations of the two aren't even close.

Adjust your expectations to the $ you invested in your e-Golf. When people are buying brand new e-Golfs for 22 to 23k, and then have easy 10 to 13k rebates off of that depending on where you live in CA, then you should be comparing 10 to 13k out of pocket to a 38 to 50k Tesla with hardly any rebate left here in CA as incentive.

I always thought the old app was one of the worst apps there is. It was very slow, the user interface was anything bu intuitive. And why do I have to provide a pin after I signed on? I did not think it is possible to make the app worse.... but VW did it.

wkuballa said:
I always thought the old app was one of the worst apps there is. It was very slow, the user interface was anything bu intuitive. And why do I have to provide a pin after I signed on? I did not think it is possible to make the app worse.... but VW did it.

VW didn't "do it". They subbed it out to Verizon, who "did it"

I am two weeks into my three month free trial. I must say that I am not impressed. I have to go thru the login procedure every time I access the app. And there is not a whole lot of information. With just a little foresight I can accomplish just about everything this offers with the on board charging controls. I don't think I will be paying what I believe a rather hefty monthly fee for what I would be getting.

Mike

I agree with most of these comments, and doubt I will ever want to pay for carnet. It is confusing to me how it integrates with Roadside Assistance, something that is standard for the 3 years. There is that button you can press, does that still work without carnet? does carnet extend this roadside assistance? I do know if carnet is not active (I had a 2015 e-Golf) then these buttons don't work.

I can't tell you how "dissapointed" I am that this update ended the 2015 e-golf ability to use car-net. Today was my first day wanting to use climate control since I bought my e-golf a few months ago, and it didn't work. After an hour on the phone I was told they discontinued the EV side of car-net for the 2015 models. Not that it worked well anyway, but I had just paid for the subscription the beginning of October for the climate control. :x

At least that hour on the phone ended up with my money being returned.

Is anyone able to use the app to remotely activate climate control? I keep getting an error 510.

MaybeGolfer said:
Is anyone able to use the app to remotely activate climate control? I keep getting an error 510.

Yes, it works for me. But I still cannot figure out the length of time the climate control operates before turning itself off (to preserve battery, I suppose - I turned my on w/o being plugged in). Seems shorter than expected (10 minutes maybe) but at least it did its job (car was considerably warm and the rear window was clear of frost).

I was getting the 510 error trying to turn on climate control while not plugged in. I was able to allow unplugged climate control in the web portal, and now it works through the app.

JMassey said:
I can't tell you how "dissapointed" I am that this update ended the 2015 e-golf ability to use car-net. Today was my first day wanting to use climate control since I bought my e-golf a few months ago, and it didn't work. After an hour on the phone I was told they discontinued the EV side of car-net for the 2015 models. Not that it worked well anyway, but I had just paid for the subscription the beginning of October for the climate control. :x

At least that hour on the phone ended up with my money being returned.

Interesting. I have a 2015, and I am able to use carnet. I did pay the subscription fee about a year ago, and paid for two years up front to get a discount. The new app is absolutely terrible, but I am still able to use it with my 2015.

Back