Charger Recognition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean333

Recently set up the Level 2 Charger - its a Juice Box.

My 2019 E Golf - does not seem to recognize the charger.

The car is charging - which is good - but the light on the car is yellow not green - which is strange.

Anyone have this experience? Anything to be concerned about??

thanks for any responses.

I always thought that when the indicator light next to the charging point is yellow, the car is actually not charging but indicating that the connection with the charger has been made.

Are you sure you have not enabled the 'delayed' charging via the e-Manager? Try to un-check all the boxes and see if this makes any difference - the car should charge immediately after being plugged in.

I have the same charger and a 2019 SEL. What I have found is that the plug needs to "click" in order for the process to happen correctly. If it does not, the light remains yellow.
It is less about forcing the plug in than getting it to connect fully, which will result in said "click".
Hope this helps.

Grab the back of the handle on the e-Motorwerks once you have firmly inserted it in the socket...

Sometimes some silicone spray helps on the shiny chrome pin on the top also, as well as the whole annular ring and the o ring inside the handle.

Gently lift up on the back of the handle, tilting it in the socket, while maintaining firm insertion force, and you should hear a "click". That's the locking pin engaging the charge handle. Once you get that click, you should get full charging capability.

This is just one of the quirks of the e-Motorwerks EVSE handle. Just a learning curve with anything new.

I’ve noticed this on a couple public chargers, usually uncommon ones, it will show yellow but still charge. I’ve also had situations where other EVs charge from a j-plug, but the e-golf wouldn’t.... don’t know why.

Public chargers are generally abused, and far more problematic than having your own, at home EVSE station, that you you can take care of and maintain, without abusing it yourself, if you learn how. Something about pride of ownership does that.

Back