Any benefit from buying a used car from a dealership?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudaval

Many of the car dealers that have cars for sale in the Los Angeles area are non-VW dealers. I wouldn't be able to count on the salespeople to know anything about their cars or eGolfs in general. Not that that's much worse than my experience with dealerships previously.
Here's the point: If I do buy a used car, I'll be inclined to get it from a dealership, in part because under California's lemon law I'll have a brief window to return it if it's problematic.
But I'm not counting on the sales force to know diddlysquat about the cars.
They haven't at VW dealerships, so why would they at some unaffiliated site?
I want to check on that impression.
Another consideration: I do think CPO might have some value. I'd think I'd be more likely to find CPO cars at VW dealerships. Of course I'll look into exactly what that certification means. But in general terms, am I right?

I think the value of paying extra is getting an additional 2 yrs/24,000 mile warranty, according to the VW CPO website, for cars 2017 and earlier. Not that I think you need it for, say a 2016 EV, but you may find it worth the typically higher price. There is no mention of battery health check that I could find.

Back