Can't charge !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

I am new to this forum but have been driving the golf for just over a year.

Last night I started having issues charging my car at home. I tried charging from both my wall mounted (British Gas installed) charging point and by using my 3pin cable into the house (completely different circuit to the charging point).

Neither of these now work.. They were both ok 24 hours ago. The symptom is I plug in, indicator light pulses green for a few seconds, then turn yellow, then green again, then yellow and finally flashes red (charging fault).

Interestingly, I drove the car to a fast charge station on a motorway (DC supply) and it charged fine.

Normally, I'd be thinking "charging point fault at my house" but, as I mentioned, I've tried 2 different circuits.

Any ideas ?? I am without a car until I get this resolved.. :-(

Thanks

darrencthomson said:
Hi all

I am new to this forum but have been driving the golf for just over a year.

Last night I started having issues charging my car at home. I tried charging from both my wall mounted (British Gas installed) charging point and by using my 3pin cable into the house (completely different circuit to the charging point).

Neither of these now work.. They were both ok 24 hours ago. The symptom is I plug in, indicator light pulses green for a few seconds, then turn yellow, then green again, then yellow and finally flashes red (charging fault).

Interestingly, I drove the car to a fast charge station on a motorway (DC supply) and it charged fine.

Normally, I'd be thinking "charging point fault at my house" but, as I mentioned, I've tried 2 different circuits.

Any ideas ?? I am without a car until I get this resolved.. :-(

Thanks
It sounds like maybe your on-board charger has failed. Try another public charging station (AC type) to see if it can work. If it doesn't, you will have to take it to the dealer for service. Hopefully there are DC fast charge stations between you and a dealer that can service the car. Good luck.

I am having the same issue with the indicator light flashing green, yellow, green, yellow etc.. was there a solution and root cause as to why this is happening?

This problem seems to occur randomly but when it happens the only solution seems to be waiting and it fixes itself.. I've had it happen with mutiple connectors - the plug provided with the car and a charge point level 2 connector. With the chargepoint connection i confirmed that the car still receives charge despite the indicator light flip flopping.

In addition when the indicator light issue arises the screen in the dash will cycle on and off... indicating the car is trying to do something.

If this warrants a new topic please advise and i can detail the problem and symptoms further.

asgarcia85 said:
I am having the same issue with the indicator light flashing green, yellow, green, yellow etc.. was there a solution and root cause as to why this is happening?

This problem seems to occur randomly but when it happens the only solution seems to be waiting and it fixes itself.. I've had it happen with mutiple connectors - the plug provided with the car and a charge point level 2 connector. With the chargepoint connection i confirmed that the car still receives charge despite the indicator light flip flopping.

In addition when the indicator light issue arises the screen in the dash will cycle on and off... indicating the car is trying to do something.

If this warrants a new topic please advise and i can detail the problem and symptoms further.

Take a video of it with your smart phone, save the file, download it to a SD micro card, and also play it back for the service advisor and the technician at the dealership. That way, it can not be denied as to not being able to be duplicated. Electronics and intermittent problems are the most difficult to resolve. Get that video of it malfunctioning right away.

Totally agree about building a case - I have mutiple recordings documenting the problem just didn't post it. Was hoping I could find the root cause here and relay it to VW. Spoke to two VW dealerships already when it happened, both were not aware of the problem, will push them harder to find a solution. If anyone has found the root cause or other info please share.

asgarcia85 said:
Totally agree about building a case - I have mutiple recordings documenting the problem just didn't post it. Was hoping I could find the root cause here and relay it to VW. Spoke to two VW dealerships already when it happened, both were not aware of the problem, will push them harder to find a solution. If anyone has found the root cause or other info please share.

I briefly had a problem with this, a time or two, during really hot weather. The plastic inside the port was getting less stiff from the very hot 110F days plus added heat in the garage. This caused it to "flex" a bit more than normal, and the locking pin on top was not engaging. it was as if the weight of the cable and handle were causing it to cant downwards and sag, thereby not engaging the latching pin to the top of the handle.

My resolving solution was to "lift" and tilt the 12 oclock position of the handle further in to the port, unweighting the 6 o clock posiition of the handle, getting a firm latching sound. In other words don't let the port initially support the weight of the handle and cord inside the port, until it is truly latched... lift upwards at the back of the handle, once the plug is fully inserted fully in the charging port, closest to the cord, and pivot the top of the engagement further inwards., so that the latching device is fully engaged. The weight of the electric cord can cause sag. Also, lube your pin every 3 months with some silicone spray only... NO WD-40, EVER. Use silicone spray on the latching pin.

Let us know how that works out for you next time the port lights start acting up.

Update: I can now reliably replicate the problem and replicate the workaround (not calling it a fix perse because I think it's more of a design flaw). I have it all recorded and will reach out to VW.

To recap

Problem: Charging indicator light flashes green, yellow, green yellow, etc.. when EVSE plugged into car. Car will still charge however, the EVSE is no longer locked and can be removed at anytime and the multifunction display and battery gauge will activate on and off.

Root cause and Workaround (in this case) This happens when the charging is interrupted by switching the car from a locked to an unlocked state and the EVSE is left connected to the car. The workaround is to disconnect the EVSE - wait for the car to fully reset (don't touch anything, wait for the start/stop charging button backlight to turnoff. You will also hear some mechanical sounds stop) - then reinsert the EVSE. The indicator light and car should then operate normally. As for waiting for the car to reset, I did this under two different scenarios. One scenario I had the key FOB with me and waited for the car alarm to automatically engage; other scenario was no key FOB and just waited for the car to perform the above.

Workarounds that do not appear to work: Cycling the lock and unlock, driving the car, (done this on relatively short drives, cannot say for longer drives), and pushing in the EVSE with more force or at a specific angle.

@JoulesThief: Appreciate your help on this, what are your thoughts on the solution you suggested based on what I've observed? I initially thought that was a solution too before I posted all of this and tried it many times, but am thinking it was more of a coincidence now in my case.

Even with the workaround this is not normal behavior. I think you should still take it (the matter or the car) to the dealer. I did exactly what you did to try to replicate and in my case the car just resumes charging (breathing green light returns after unlocking the car). I have a Juicebox 40 pro. Maybe the EVSE also plays a role in this.

kataleen said:
Even with the workaround this is not normal behavior. I think you should still take it (the matter or the car) to the dealer. I did exactly what you did to try to replicate and in my case the car just resumes charging (breathing green light returns after unlocking the car). I have a Juicebox 40 pro. Maybe the EVSE also plays a role in this.

I run a Juicebox 40 Pro also. Perhaps what you say is true.

Sorry for bringing an old thread to life, but did you guys every get a final solution to your problems? My 2016 e-Golf has started exhibiting this exact behavior.

Pin locks cable in, audible click and it starts charging. After a random interval of a few seconds to a few minutes, another audible click (sounds like a large relay near the front of the car) and it stops charging. Often it will click again in a few seconds and resume charging, then after 5 seconds to a few minutes it'll happen again, eventually resulting in a red flashing light (sometimes static).

If I let the car alone until the charging lights vanish completely and press unlock, it will start charging again.

Possibly related, the locking pin doesn't always successfully engage. It randomly happens. I'll try 20-30 times to have it lock the cable without success, then it'll just start working again.

It seems to me that the locking pin does a minor move whenever the car stops/starts charging, too.

I have been having the same issue, bought mine about the same time as you.
https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2555
There was a wiring issue and they had to drop the battery to fix it. It has been a big pain in the ass, but VW is covering mine under the warranty. My Bumper to bumper ran out 5 days after i bought it, so i was pretty freaked out, but VW has been helpful and I got a loaner as well. When i get the full diagnosis i will post it. I should be getting the car tomorrow if all is well.

I forgot to post an update; The locking motor (i.e. the one that locks the charging cable in) was faulty. Apparently it also senses whether or not the cable is there.

VW replaced it for free out of warranty.

Thanks for the update. When you say locking "motor", do you mean solenoid? I don't believe there is an electric motor in the charging inlet. Also, did the dealer tell you the solenoid senses the presence of the charging plug? If so, I don't believe that it correct as there is the proximity pin in the J1772 inlet that performs that function. Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I am experiencing same issues as you described. I imported my Egolf to Costa Rica, so basically I have no support here. I will like to know how you solve your issues please.
Thanks in advance.

Back